Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another Recall Disaster.... For Land-Rover

stewyinpagham

Clock springs? Clockwork is not how they are powered now,is it?

If so they will definitely pass the emissions test. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh dear, no airbag? What if something falls off another passing LR?

Eternal optimism!

I haven't seen 2 landrovers passing each other, and chances of it happening must be slim, unless on the back of a breakdown truck. :lol:

Clock springs? Clockwork is not how they are powered now,is it?

No, large elastic band.

You probably already know, but just in case, I think they are referring to, what I know it as, an airbag "rotary coupler" inside the steering wheel. I've seen Kingo call it a "spiral connector" too.

It's probably just me, but the article is slightly garbled in my opinion. Usually there is a shorting bar in the airbag connector, such that, should it become disconnected, it shorts across the squib connection, which the airbag ECU can detect and put the light on. My guess is the thing is sticking somehow, such that in the event of a connector disconnect, the thing is not doing its job and providing the warning.

Having said that, I thought the ECUs generally looked for squib resistance, so it should be detecting an open circuit squib as well. Perhaps there is clear info elsewhere. I haven't looked.

The early MKI Freelander used to have a problem with the drivers airbag shorting bar, shorting the squib out when it shouldn't and that would put the light on. Fix was to reseat the connector.

Another passing LR is thankfully fairly rare. They are usually stationary. - I see Bothy beat me to it with that conclusion! :thumbsup:

Yes I much prefer trimmed clock springs :lol:

This is what a Toyota "Spiral Cable" looks like (84306 in the image)

429493815_o.jpg

Kingo :thumbsup: