Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D-4D Mpg

Sam29

mine ...2.2 with 105000mls is averaging 34 mpg around liverpool stop and start and im happy

in the summer averaged 52mpg on a run to torquay at no slower than 75mph in cruise control

the 2.2 is only booked at 37mpg urban

Over almost 59,000 miles, my overall average is 54.2 mpg, and average 533 miles (maximum 692 miles) between fillups.

(The car rarely does runs of less than 80 miles and is mostly motorway use in 6th gear & with cruise control.)

Pretty similar for me. 2.2D engine, '08, mainly motorway, 54k miles, largely use cruise and if on long runs I'd agree with the above numbers. No special fuel, standard Mr T service - not cheap....

But I am retired & 63....

Blimey! My petrol 2005 2.0 auto estate gives me about 37MPG at best on a good motorway only tank emptying session at 75-80mph and 27-28MPG mixued urban/rural.

Time to go Diesel.

Sorry what you mean by that?

Mean you dont travel a lot or do you mean something else?

Used to regulary see from @ 43 to 51 on my clock mixed driving which was about 450 miles I think.....

I have 170 k on the engine and remembered what a diesel mech friend of mine once said,you should drive a diesel engine hard which I don't do as it's so torqey so I started down the motorway slip road and revved it out in every gear holding the high revs in third for a little distance.

That was last week and I filled the car shortly after and can't believe what's happened.I dropped relations to the airport about 70 miles away and saw between 71 and 73 mpg.now it was icy so very light on throttle but I got 600 miles outa that tank,couldn't believe it.car was loaded up too.

I have filled again at a discount fuel garage and it's dropped to @63 on the screen.

Mad stuff

What I meant by that is I don't drive quite so "aggressively" as I used to (but I dare say some 60+ guys do,,, ) as I'm older, more boring, less testosterone fueled, less screaming tyres & howling brakes... ... but do do higher-than-average mileage - say 16k+ pa... and having done both the IaM course/test...

http://www.iam.org.uk/do_you_want_to_be_a_better_car_driver_/doyouwanttobeabettercardriver.html

& the RoSPA course/test

http://www.roadar.org/drivers/index.htm

I now drive (I think - and so does the wife..) smoother, less jerkily, with more anticipation etc etc.. I reckon I "get there" earlier than I used to but with less stress & strain on the motor, myself, passengers and other road users...

Now, clearly everyone posting here knows they are a "good driver"..., aye, right ,... but when did you last get assessed?? If doing either of these courses/tests means you avoid just one insurance claim (time, agrro, money..) you've made a profit... well worth doing!!!

Plus, better mileage, less wear 'n tear on tyres, brakes & the motor in general..

What I meant by that is I don't drive quite so "aggressively" as I used to (but I dare say some 60+ guys do,,, ) as I'm older, more boring, less testosterone fueled, less screaming tyres & howling brakes... ... but do do higher-than-average mileage - say 16k+ pa... and having done both the IaM course/test...

http://www.iam.org.uk/do_you_want_to_be_a_better_car_driver_/doyouwanttobeabettercardriver.html

& the RoSPA course/test

http://www.roadar.org/drivers/index.htm

I now drive (I think - and so does the wife..) smoother, less jerkily, with more anticipation etc etc.. I reckon I "get there" earlier than I used to but with less stress & strain on the motor, myself, passengers and other road users...

Now, clearly everyone posting here knows they are a "good driver"..., aye, right ,... but when did you last get assessed?? If doing either of these courses/tests means you avoid just one insurance claim (time, agrro, money..) you've made a profit... well worth doing!!!

Plus, better mileage, less wear 'n tear on tyres, brakes & the motor in general..

Good post :thumbsup:

If i avoid an accident and don't pay for a course, then i make a bigger profit! :lol:

On a serious note, MPG is a tough one to gauge as every single person on here drives differently and does a different route to the next person. Your way of driving economically will vary from someone elses way etc.

I firmly believe that good mpg starts with good fuel. A decent brand (i prefer shell) is usually as cheap as a supermarket fuel, but contains additives to help prevent things getting clogged up.

Maintenance is equally important as a good quality oil, filters and tyre pressure top ups should keep things running smoothly.

The way you drive obviously plays a part in the equation, and many diesel drivers think that the best way to obtain economy is to drive at low revs in a high gear, but actually this won't give great mpg gains. For EG, i have found that driving in a 30mph zone in 4th gear is easily achievable in my car, yet the mpg increases faster if i do it in 3rd gear because the revs are around 1900rpm, which puts the engine firmly in the peak torque band.

I personally find that if i use 3rd for 30-40, 4th for 40-50 and 5th for 50-60 and 6th for motorway speeds, my MPG is greater than if i try to drive everywhere in the highest gear the engine will allow.

Some will agree and some won't, but looking through some of the posts on MPG from others with the same car as mine i have noticed that i seem to be getting better figures than most others.

:thumbsup:

A decent brand (i prefer shell) is usually as cheap as a supermarket fuel, but contains additives to help prevent things getting clogged up.

Fully agreed and you should try BP. I tried BP and it gives me more MPG when compared to Shell and also smoother ride.

Maintenance is equally important as a good quality oil, filters and tyre pressure top ups should keep things running smoothly.

The way you drive obviously plays a part in the equation, and many diesel drivers think that the best way to obtain economy is to drive at low revs in a high gear, but actually this won't give great mpg gains. For EG, i have found that driving in a 30mph zone in 4th gear is easily achievable in my car, yet the mpg increases faster if i do it in 3rd gear because the revs are around 1900rpm, which puts the engine firmly in the peak torque band.

I personally find that if i use 3rd for 30-40, 4th for 40-50 and 5th for 50-60 and 6th for motorway speeds, my MPG is greater than if i try to drive everywhere in the highest gear the engine will allow.

I would liked to say that as my car is 5 transmission one, therefore it differs. Honestly computer is as clever as our politician and give false results.

If I follow what you wrote, like driving in peak torque, computer shows better MPG (and I think that is wrong) as I get less miles out of full tank. Recently tried and only got 420 miles / full tank.

However if I drive in higher gear and on low speeds, computer shows poor results (again I guess bit wrong) but I get more miles out of full tank. Tried and got 448 miles / full tank.

Remember I kept the other factors constant.

I dont say that I dont agree with you, but I guess you have new model which is slightly different than mine.

Try BP diesel and see if it makes more difference.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback Sam, i'm sure the 5 speed box will differ as they are set up differently, and i expect the Avensis weighs a bit more so i can only comment on experience of my own set up.

I'm currently running on Vpower and the MPG is the best its been over the 'fuel saver' that Shell sell, However the cost is getting a bit much now and if it rises to £1.50 a litre i will be going back to fuel saver.

As for BP, i have tried it in the past (granted it was a different engine) and found it to be awful and the car felt restricted and under powered, so for the extra cost (above Vpower) i'm not inclined to try it to be honest.

Its good that you ar using a trusted brand and find the results worth it. The geek in me wanted to know if i was saving or losing money by using Vpower, and despite the higher cost at the pump, in real terms it only costs me an extra 1p per litre when i factor in the MPG improvement, so its about as good as i can hope for.

Thanks for the feedback Sam, i'm sure the 5 speed box will differ as they are set up differently, and i expect the Avensis weighs a bit more so i can only comment on experience of my own set up.

I'm currently running on Vpower and the MPG is the best its been over the 'fuel saver' that shell sell, However the cost is getting a bit much now and if it rises to £1.50 a litre i will be going back to fuel saver.

As for BP, i have tried it in the past (granted it was a different engine) and found it to be awful and the car felt restricted and under powered, so for the extra cost (above Vpower) i'm not inclined to try it to be honest.

Its good that you ar using a trusted brand and find the results worth it. The geek in me wanted to know if i was saving or losing money by using Vpower, and despite the higher cost at the pump, in real terms it only costs me an extra 1p per litre when i factor in the MPG improvement, so its about as good as i can hope for.

I am sure you are saving money in the long run.

I always used Asda fuel in the past till my focus fuel pump died.

That was the point where I thought, what had gone wrong.

Never back to Asda/ Tesco / sainsburry / waitrose.

Only BP and Shell and I keep switching them.

Cheers.

If i avoid an accident and don't pay for a course, then i make a bigger profit! :lol:

On a serious note, MPG is a tough one to gauge as every single person on here drives differently and does a different route to the next person. Your way of driving economically will vary from someone elses way etc.

I firmly believe that good mpg starts with good fuel. A decent brand (i prefer shell) is usually as cheap as a supermarket fuel, but contains additives to help prevent things getting clogged up.

Some will agree and some won't, but looking through some of the posts on MPG from others with the same car as mine i have noticed that i seem to be getting better figures than most others.

Hi mate,

I agree 100% with your comments and yes 1900-2000rpm is the sweet spot for economy on my 2.2 d4d changing gear as you do. Providing you keep a good eye on the road, changing the mpg computer mode to "momentary" will over time teach a driver the best gear,revs and speed to be in for economical driving as it reacts and settles down in seconds with light throttle movements. I can also get better mpg without cruise control and aircon on but do use it now and again. Remember though striving for the best mpg constantly will clog the EGR eventually so it needs a good blast now and then along with the odd Forte treatment as I have said in previous replies.

Pete.

Couldn't agree more Pete.

Mine gets a good blast at times, although i have a theory on my improved MPG with the cleaner fuel.

I think that the Vpower is burning cleaner (as its supposed to) meaning that the DPF is collecting less soot, and doing less regenerating as a result, keeping the fuel in the tank for driving instead of burning soot.

I could be wrong and it may be a coincidence, but I'll be cleaning the EGR soon to see how much gunk (if any) i have collected after 3500 miles on Shell fuel.

Dave

I have an 05 2.0 d4d, with 71k on the clock, all my driving is motorway, average is around 46-48, and around 500 miles per tank full to the brim.

2003..D4D..... 160.000miles........380miles/50 litres,..8.3l/100km...computer said 7.4l/100km...car used as taxi,so mostly city driving,daytime hours.Trying to save fuel and driving at low raves,the EGR valve got blocked.so an treatment with DIPETANE combined with higher raves got the things moving ok again.

On the motorway,I got 4.8l/100km.

• 1 month later...

I get 48-50mpg, mixture of motorway and suburban journeys.Used to get more and am thinking of cleaining the EGR

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links