Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Massive Increase In Insurance Quote This Year

The Cav

My insurance is due in just over a months time on my 2.2 Avensis TSpirit

so ive pre-empted my renewable quote with a few insurance searches

so far the cheapest is £120+ more than last year ....and ive not claimed so why the massive increase

Cav, go on BBC watch dog and watch documentry film on insurance prices hiking these days.

On the average 40% increase in insurance this year and companies are attributing it to claims made last year.

Also the rise can be 40-140% depending on the claims made in your region / post code.

Are you faithful to one company or you keep switching to cheapest insurer?

Unfortunately the reason they increase your premium is 'because they can'!!Any other business that has had a poor year has to buckle down and find ways to increase productivity and therefor profits, the insurance companies seem to say they had a lot of cliams so they are forced to increase your premiums in order to maintain their margins!! all you can do is hunt around for the best deal and loyalty goes out of the window. Good hunting...

I have just renewed my insurance the renewal quote was increased by about 20%.

The present company was still the cheapest quote I could get. I phoned to query why my insurance had gone up so much when nothing had changed. I was told that all insurers had increased their renewals by between 20 and 30 %

I said that I would be loking elsewhere and suddenly was offered a new renewal only about 12% more than last year. This was a surprise so I accepted it immediately. Nothing was different on my policy docs. which I received yesterday.

Maybe you could phone and ask the same question, you may get reduction, best of luck!

You could also trt Toyota's own insurance, it went through a bit of a re-vamp recently, supposidly to be more competitive, but I think they are very post code selective

I am the only person sceptical about comparison sites? I'm sure once they have you hooked in to the whole comparison thing, thats it, your gripped and each company in turn gets your business, I'm sure its a fix :g: Maybe I should keep taking these tablets for my Paranoia :rolleyes:

Kingo :thumbsup:

You could also trt Toyota's own insurance, it went through a bit of a re-vamp recently, supposidly to be more competitive, but I think they are very post code selective

I am the only person sceptical about comparison sites? I'm sure once they have you hooked in to the whole comparison thing, thats it, your gripped and each company in turn gets your business, I'm sure its a fix :g: Maybe I should keep taking these tablets for my Paranoia :rolleyes:

You're not wrong Kingo! Also after you have given your details to a comparison site even the ones you weren't interested in send you loads of junk mail and emails :angry2: . Another thing I don't understand is when I did my wifes car insurance Esure were £100.00 more expensive than Sainsburys car insurance for an identical policy ..... only to find out later that Sainsburys is Esure !! :unsure:

Bye the way what are those tablets you are on .... ? I might need them!;)

Regards Pete

Yes, I have even bought some of those databases :lol:

If you DONT purchase insurance, your details are sold on as marketing data, sad but a fact of life. They can even sell this data in near "Real time" and send you bumph relative to what you were trying to purchase. It is amazing what info you tell those sites which makes it marketing gold dust!

After getting the best quote you can from a Comparison Site or other.

Don't forget to look at the Cash Back sites. Each year for the past 3 years I have saved at least £100 from Car & Home insurance (combined).

I personally use TopCashBack but I am sure that others are as good or better.

Just don't spend the cashback till you actually have it your bank account. I havent had a problem with insurance, but I did fail to get some cashback credited by a holiday company.

There is an increase of the premium now. That's what my insurance company said( Tesco) and friend of main complained about it 3-4 months ago when he struggled to find cheaper insurance. Mine is only £12 ( 0.5%)differend from last year but considerig they (Tesco) will give me 150 club card points and a free courtesy car it is even cheaper. Just check with your existing provider or shop around for the best deal.

Regards

Plamerino

Hi

just purchased a t spirit and toyota gave me the 3 free days insurance cover,when i got home i realised it was only me on the insurance which was no good to the better half,phoned present insurer(AA) and swapped my insurance over then phoned toyota to cancel the 3 day thing,was told i did not have to cancel as it would automatically cease after the 3 days but the lady gave me a quote for my t spirit which was £42 cheaper than the AA and they would also pay £50 towards cancelling my policy with the AA,policy run out in may next year and the price they want for cancelling is over £100 so come May 2011 i will certainly be calling toyota.

Toyota's quote was *cheaper*?! :eek:

Blimey, I might have to try them next year... although TBH the AA have been sending me stupid quotes (£7-800! For a Yaris?!).

Currently with esure for £500-something and a no-claims of 72% (Apparently I get an extra 1% over 70% for every year I'm with them?)

But the quotes I've been getting have been just silly; I normally use some comparison site, take the top 5 and play them off against each other but only two companies gave me a quote below £600 and one of them I'd never heard of before.

Some of the quotes were over £2000!!

Ended up sticking with esure (Was £30 more than the lowest quote but I couldn't be ubikd by that point; The guy on the phone matched it by jacking up my voluntary. A £450 voluntary excess is very good incentive to be careful! :lol:)

I use a comparison website to find the best quote i.e. lowest price with best cover and then check if that particular company has a deal on a cashback site e.g. Quidco.com. I subsequently don't get lots of spam email or leaflets. I think last year I got fully comp cover for myself and my wife for £70/year, including cashback!

There was a woman in the news not long ago who managed to insure her 12 year old corsa for 97p.

She found the cheapest insurer online, managed to get a discount code and did it all through Quidco for cashback.

The bargains are out there, you just need to shop around and put some effort into finding the discounts.

I've been with Toyota insurance for years, just received my renewal premium for my T180 - up to £866 from £460 !!!!!!! Over 15+ yrs NCB, no accidents etc aged 50 ish - I've gone elsewhere, came in around £360.

Yikes, cannot believe some of the quotes on here.

I've got business use on my policy as I'm a self-employed photographer and do up to 30k miles per annum. I've not had a claim in fifteen years. I've only one speeding ticket on my license. I live in a very safe commuter town nr Bristol. I've never paid more than £370 for fully comp. Last month I paid NFU Mutual (you have to ring up and get the quote over the phone) £361 for fully comp, plus breakdown cover, total excess of £300. I do change companies almost every year, as inevitably your present company will try to slip in a big increase and hope you're too stupid/complacent/lazy/busy to do anything about it. Previous insurers have been Swiftcover, Privilege. NFU Mutual come out top in many surveys for their service and claims'handling, but of course I don't want to test that theory anytime soon.

hmmm Strange. I managed to get mine quite a lot cheaper this year, just by using a comparison site and taking the cheapest quote to my current insurer (Budget insurance) and got a price match.

I think one issue with insurance companies is that I believe they decide to target a specific group of people at any one time and depending on who that group is, they offer cheaper deals for this group. My guess anyway. So it would fluctuate.

Guess what, as in my post above, I've been with Toyota Insurance for many years and my renewal went from circa £460 to circa £866. I spoke to the Toyota insurance today who said that they have had a new computer system (which I was aware of) and `some` quotes had gone out incorrectly ! She offered to drop my quote by about 50% (after speaking with her mananger). I refused & pointed out if the quote was wrong it should never have gone out in the first place.

Do you think I would have got a refund if I had paid it without question ? I think not.

Ended up getting a comparison quote from Elephant for around £100 less than last years quote.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all, very strange the insurance thing this year, my Zurich insurance went up by £120 to £400 this year on my 2007 2.2d4d 150 Avensis hatchback. I had a good look round and the best quote I got as a like for like policy was Toyota direct at roughly £300 so that's very good. I will have to keep an eye on next years quote as most insurers do give an discount for new customers. The fully comp cover with £100 excess (no voluntary excess) is for me and my wife who have a full no claims quota with no driving convictions ever, (quite proud of that actually) so I think I will give them a try this year.

I take on board what tubaman says but has anyone got any more comments about Toyota insurance either good or bad before I take the plunge.:unsure:.

Regards Pete

My renewal is not due till March, then mine and wifes within 2 weeks, did them both with LV= this year - hers for the Aygo was quoted more than mine for the prius (??) both never had a claim, I've been driving 40+ years, hers 15+

Toyota insurance was double the LV= quote so you can guess why we went with LV !!

The thing that really P...... me off is that when I rang Toyota to tell them they were not getting our renewals they offered to match LV= !!! WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!!

As others above have said, insurance companies know that we have to have car insurance, even the most basic which is compulsory, they have us over a barrel and therefore they can charge whatever figure comes into their heads first, then they double it, add 500 and give us their idea of 'their best quote'

It's high time that the competition commission got hold of it and banged their collective heads together!

Oh yes, what did I pay? 186 for the Aygo and 221 for the Prius in the end....

My renewal is not due till March, then mine and wifes within 2 weeks, did them both with LV= this year - hers for the Aygo was quoted more than mine for the prius (??) both never had a claim, I've been driving 40+ years, hers 15+

Toyota insurance was double the LV= quote so you can guess why we went with LV !!

The thing that really P...... me off is that when I rang Toyota to tell them they were not getting our renewals they offered to match LV= !!! WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!!

As others above have said, insurance companies know that we have to have car insurance, even the most basic which is compulsory, they have us over a barrel and therefore they can charge whatever figure comes into their heads first, then they double it, add 500 and give us their idea of 'their best quote'

It's high time that the competition commission got hold of it and banged their collective heads together!

I found the cheapest to be LV for our T-180 at £606 with a total excess of £250. I didn't know about Toyotal insurance at the time. I'll try them next year I think...

, Hi again, got a quote from LV insurance around £300 + £50 excess for the same quote as Toyota insurance £300 + £100 excess, no voluntary excess on both quotes so it's between these two.

Thanks for your input everyone ..... Pete.:thumbsup:

On my new Avensis 2.0D4D Saloon, with business use (Self employed) 30k per year, Full NCD, £250 Excess but no courtesy car (I will use the MX-5 if anything happened) I am paying £322 with LV insurance fully comp with legal protection and NCD Protection.

My Premium came back at £380 ish and I did the price comparrison sites but in the end just phoned LV and said it's to expensive what can we do, they then came back 5 minutes later and said we can do it for £322 sir.

It may well pay you just to phone up your insurance company and have a bit of haggle with them, it's worked for me with LV for both my car's and the wife's Polo.

• 3 weeks later...

ok so this year the final quote annd best quote was £435 plus £30 for monthly payments so a total of £465

staying with aviva

last year was about £358 with the monthly payments so up about £115 more this year

Hi, all!

£22.51 a month - 10% more because of the monthly payments, £250 excess, fully comp for 2 drivers, third party in Europe, courtesy car + 150 club card pionts a month with Tesco. All in total £270, when I dedact the money from the points it comes to £252.00, slightly cheaper than last year.

Palmerino

Insurance is a big game but the insurers are the only ones who really know all the rules so will win every time. So far I have learned the following about the game:

1. Comparison sites are good for geting a bunch of quotes to start negotiating from but do not always offer the best package

2. Excesses are cheeky little sods and go really high on the lowest quotes. Decide what excess you are prepared to accept before you start looking - other wise you tend to let it creep up (a bit like shopping on eBay!)

3. Make sure you only buy what you want. Do you need cover for commuting to/from work? Many policies do not include it. Do you need legal prtoection cover? Are you paying to protect your no claims bonus and if so is it value for money? (Work out what 1 years no claims discount is worth and compare it to what you are paying to keep it. I think you only lose 1 years discount in a smash). Can you afford to pay 10% extra to pay each month or can you pay up front? Start saving for mext year's premium now and save 10% by paying in one go.

4. Is fully comp cheaper than TPF&T? Its wierd but it can be cheaper...

5. Insurance brokers have sales targets to meet. Get your quotes early but play them off on the last working day of the month. One firm chopped a £360 bike quote to £280 just to get my business.

6. The company you are with wants to keep you. Play hard ball until they give you a quote you like. If they can't 'quote you happy' go elsewhere. You owe them nothing and they may pull a better quote out of the hat at the last minute.

7. Pass you Institute of Advanced Motorists test. It stays with you for life and you get good discounts. I get a 'like for like policy less 5%' deal. I get quotes for the minimum insurance I need and because of the system the company (Adelaide) uses I get protected no claims and class 1 business use free. All for £270. Magic!