Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T180 Tyre Replacement Options

Hocks

1) Does anyone know or has anyone moved away from the Toyota specified run flat tyre with BSR device ?

2) Are there any issues with running standard tyres ( Non runflat ) without these BSR devices ?

3) Does a standard tyre seat properly on the rim ?

4) How do I go about removing the Factory fitted tyre and BSR device ? Any help / advice would be appreciated !

£600+ for 2 tyres is somewhat painful to say the least. I would like to go to non run flat tyres for comfort reasons aswell as to avoid the heavy prices + main dealer for any tyre needs.

1) Does anyone know or has anyone moved away from the Toyota specified run flat tyre with BSR device ?

2) Are there any issues with running standard tyres ( Non runflat ) without these BSR devices ?

4) How do I go about removing the Factory fitted tyre and BSR device ? Any help / advice would be appreciated !

£600+ for 2 tyres is somewhat painful to say the least. I would like to go to non run flat tyres for comfort reasons aswell as to avoid the heavy prices + main dealer for any tyre needs.

Hello Hocks and welcome to the club.

There are several threads on this subject - one is pinned at the top of the page: LINK

I wish you well in finding a solution that suits you :thumbsup:

Just ask your local Toyota dealer to remove the tyres and support ring (keeping it intact)and replace with normal tyres. It shouldn't be a problem. Early next year I am replacing my RFTs and Toyota have agreed to carry out the work for me I even plan on ordering tyres outwith dealership. You will need to source a spare wheel to carry in the boot incase of a puncture or a can of slime and a 12v tyre inflator thingymajig...

Blue

I'd like to know which Toyota dealer has agreed to take the support rings out for you so I can take my T180 there and get mine removed because my local dealer said that no Toyota main dealer is allowed to remove them but I'd love to get mine done as long as the valves would still work ok cos I couldnt be doing with a flashing light permenantly on the dash

Hi Mitchelin,

I was just in to my local Toyota dealers about winter tyres on my T180.He said that for approx 3 hrs labour,plus the cost of the new winter tyres,he would remove my runflat tyres, take out the ring & fit the new tyres.Also dosable flashing light on dash,if required.So Toyota can & will replace the RFT.Problem is,they cannot get Falke,or Vred tyres until January at the earliest,to replace my Duellers.Anybody know where there ate tyres available,because my local dealer will fit outsourced tyres.

Hi Mitchelin,

I was just in to my local Toyota dealers about winter tyres on my T180.He said that for approx 3 hrs labour,plus the cost of the new winter tyres,he would remove my runflat tyres, take out the ring & fit the new tyres.Also dosable flashing light on dash,if required.So Toyota can & will replace the RFT.Problem is,they cannot get Falke,or Vred tyres until January at the earliest,to replace my Duellers.Anybody know where there ate tyres available,because my local dealer will fit outsourced tyres.

MyTyres?:LINK

Hi Mitchelin,

MyTyres?:LINK

If you see something on their website, then call MyTyres to get a delivery date. If you just order, you wait for a few days before they email you the delivery date. So could be anytime. And then they say it is no guarantee. It'll be 2 weeks for mine. And I know someone who is still waiting after a few weeks.

Hi Mitchelin,

Just a quick thought have you had a quote for 3hrs labour at MrT :unsure: Could be about £300 + vat @ 20% in January :eek: Stew

Was quoted £40 an hour labour charges.

I'm told that the space saver spare used by the Honda CR-V fits perfectly on the RAV4. Many owners with RFT's here keep one of those on board just in case.

I'm told that the space saver spare used by the Honda CR-V fits perfectly on the RAV4. Many owners with RFT's here keep one of those on board just in case.

You might have to be careful with that one. I believe Anchs has tried that and while the stud spacing is OK, the central "hub hole" on the CRV wheel is slightly larger diameter than the RAV, meaning there is no support from the RAV hub for the CRV space saver wheel, when its bolted on.

No doubt he will confirm, or tell me I'm talking out of my backside. :).

You might have to be careful with that one. I believe Anchs has tried that and while the stud spacing is OK, the central "hub hole" on the CRV wheel is slightly larger diameter than the RAV, meaning there is no support from the RAV hub for the CRV space saver wheel, when its bolted on.

Hey - what I've learned in trying to buy alloys for my snow tyres. Anyway:

The centre bore on the RAV is 60.1mm.

The centre bore on the CRV is 64.1mm.

When the hole is machined to exactly match the hub so the wheels are precisely positioned it is said that the wheel is “hub centric”.

Some wheels require centering rings that lock into place in the back of the wheel in order to become hub centric and reduce the risk of vibration while driving. If you don’t not have hub centric wheels (lug centric), they should be torqued correctly while the vehicle is still off of the ground so they centre properly. The weight of the vehicle can push the wheel off-center slightly while you're tightening them down if left on the ground.

Personally, I've got a full size spare in the back for long journeys. Otherwise it's RFTs and Club Toyota AA Roadside Assistance.

I hate to gloat but Im so glad I sourced wheels and snow tyres early this year. My family thought I was nuts spending money vredesteins back in September ha ha but it has paid off. Delivery times are now extended to the new year and prices have increased by the looks of things :unsure:

I hate to gloat but Im so glad I sourced wheels and snow tyres early this year. My family thought I was nuts spending money vredesteins back in September ha ha but it has paid off. Delivery times are now extended to the new year and prices have increased by the looks of things :unsure:

I have a confirmed delivery date of 6th December 2010 (I hope). Give it another few days for snow problems.

I have Wolfrace alloys lined up, but will probably change my mind over the weekend as they're too "sporty" and not "4x4" enough looking.

FYI: I was in LIDLs (it's like the 50p stall in Wishaw market when I were a lad - addicted to the cheap bits'n'pieces).

They're doing a car cover for about £5 and fits the top half of the RAV very well. Comes with 6 elastic straps and hooks (you could use your own bungees) and reinforced holes to anchor it all down. 3 year warranty. Ye cannae whack it.

Get the Estate size if you're interested. The L/XL size is just a wee bit smaller but would probably just make it, especially on the smaller RAVs.

Hi everyone

I have this broblem as well. Somebody I talked to, managed to get rid of the BSR system all alone. He said that he cut the old dueler

out then he also cut of the ring. He says that now he has NOKIAN regular tyres on and the tyre presure sensors work fine. In case of a flat tyre he is using a car tyre sealant kit of this sort. http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/uk/en/continental/automobile/themes/extended_mobility/sealant_kits/conticomfortkit_en.html

I think this is what the official toyota-greece is using for the rav-4 D4-D,the one without the spare in the back (T-180 D-Cat is not imported oficcialy down here).

In my case, I m waiting for the truck from frankfurt germany to bring back the tyred rims that i have send last week.The reason? On the door of our beautiful car (not beeing sarcastic)is saying "this viecle is equiped whith a RUN-FLAT system". After i had spend few hundred euros lots of time and most of all the frustration,I found out that the tyres have the BSR not the RUN-FLAT system on them.

The BSR system can not be supported here in greece by anyone.

Has he actually used the sealer yet? There is more than a good chance that a liquid sealant will stop the valve electronics functioning correctly. I wouldn't recommend it, unless you want risk a new valve.

Has he actually used the sealer yet? There is more than a good chance that a liquid sealant will stop the valve electronics functioning correctly. I wouldn't recommend it, unless you want risk a new valve.

You are right. I didn't think of it.

No problem, it's an easy thing to overlook. You would think the electronics would be sealed, but usually there is some sort of port or hole required with a pressure sensor. I've not seen an actual Toyota sensor, but having seen others, I wouldn't be surprised if it were like that. :thumbsup:

My 2 x previous posts this year. :thumbsup:

Hi, I have just changed all 4 Tyres on my Rav4 T180.

After much deliberation with all that is posted on this forum i decided that i would remove all 4 BSR from the wheels.

This was done professionaly so that they can be used again should i sell the car. I had already purchased a "spare " off eBay for £50 which had a puncture. This was repaired very reasonably by my local Toyota Dealer. I asked the fitter not to put the ring back in which he agreed too.

I have purchased 4 x Toyo Open Highway 235/55/18 from www.tyreandgo.co.uk/ . They have improved the ride of the car really well, they are very quiet and so far [no snow] offered excellent grip in all weather.

Total price for the 4 was £460 delivered.

Toyota wanted £180 each for Bridgestones!

This was my previous post above. These tyres have been on for over a month now and i can honestly say that my T180 rides alot quieter and smoother since the tyre change. There still seems to be a lot of confusion over swapping the tyres to an alternative brand. "I cant say too much" but i have a contact at a main Toyota dealer. I was with this person when they removed the old tyres and support rings which took some time about 30 minutes each from removal to balanced and refitted. The TPMS is not affected and so long as the tyres go back on the same wheel they don't need recoding! I was fortunate to buy a spare wheel so this is carried in the back of the car it just lays on the floor behind the rear seats and is not too obtrusive. I now have a nice stack of 4 Bridgestone Support Rings wrapped in Toyota service car covers as they are covered in this horrible sticky grease. So if and when i sell the vehicle the new owner can have them in case of the unlikely event they will want to put them back inside! They would have to be mad! I can now get any punctures or tyres issues dealt with at any tyre dealer, which is good as i go on the continent towing my caravan.

Would like to add - Excellent in the snow too! :yes:

great news mate. Do you know if its possible to disable the TPMS so the light on the dash stays off????

Hi Mate,

Why do you want to turn off the TPMS? The TPMS valves are sturdy enough unless you end up destroying them on purpose! Just change the tyres and leave the BSR out like i have done. You will find that everything is just fine!

Just read through this for the first time!

Yes the dimensions are as shown in MarsKy's post. Even with the precautions I wouldn't like to rely on the wheel bolts alone as they are not designed to carry the weight of the vehicle, the hub is.

You either need a spacesaver with the right bore or a regular wheel. Somebody did identify a cheap steel wheel but genuine allys pop up on eBay quite often.

Just read through this for the first time!

Yes the dimensions are as shown in MarsKy's post. Even with the precautions I wouldn't like to rely on the wheel bolts alone as they are not designed to carry the weight of the vehicle, the hub is.

You either need a spacesaver with the right bore or a regular wheel. Somebody did identify a cheap steel wheel but genuine allys pop up on ebay quite often.

Non-OEM T180 alloys: T180 non-OEM alloys

They come from Italy, so I suspect this is the manufacturer or supplier: WSP Italy

And no support ring.

Couldn't find a more appropriate thread (well, I didn't bother to look too much).

Someone has a T180/SR180 BSR Run Flat going on eBay, for those who were looking for a spare: ebay T180/SR180 BSR Run Flat

we had the run flats, but after getting a puncture on a saturday night my other half used an angle grinder to take off the whole system, and normal tyres are fine on the rav :D