Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Heres One About Headlight Bulbs

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi there again

Just been talking to a family friend who upgraded his headlight bulbs on his Lexus is220d using Osram nightbreaker plus bulbs and he said its made a big difference...and it got me thinking...i would like a brighter...whiter...sportier look to the front of my 06 Rolla 1.6 SR...but what bulbs would i need?

How many bulbs are there in the main headlamp unit?

And which ones are they (H7, H4, etc?)

And then the fog lamps must macth? bulb type?

I thought about xenon blue...but prefer white though...People talk about main beam...dipped beams...etc...but i want to change them all regardless.

I take it the rear bulbs aren't important as upgrading them wont make much of a difference i dont think...right?

Please share your advice on the best bulb types and brands etc. Thanks Guys.

Sammy

Hi there again

Just been talking to a family friend who upgraded his headlight bulbs on his Lexus is220d using Osram nightbreaker plus bulbs and he said its made a big difference...and it got me thinking...i would like a brighter...whiter...sportier look to the front of my 06 Rolla 1.6 SR...but what bulbs would i need?

How many bulbs are there in the main headlamp unit?

And which ones are they (H7, H4, etc?)

And then the fog lamps must macth? bulb type?

I thought about xenon blue...but prefer white though...People talk about main beam...dipped beams...etc...but i want to change them all regardless.

I take it the rear bulbs aren't important as upgrading them wont make much of a difference i dont think...right?

Please share your advice on the best bulb types and brands etc. Thanks Guys.

Sammy

The main headlight unit has 1 x 501 for the side light, 2 x H7 - one for dipped and one for main beam.

Not sure about the fogs, i think they are H4s but there is a post around here somewhere with all the details.

I've Phillips Blue vision in mine, i wouldnt say they were brighter because of the blue coating but they are quite a bit whiter than the standard (4k colour). I heard those OSRAM night breakers are pretty good.

Have done all mine, makes a big difference, nothing fancy just changed to xenon with a slight blue tint the blue is hardly noticable, but the difference in light quality is great.

I had a complete set of Dip, Main and Sides on eBay all in didn't cost much (I don't believe in spending loads on bulbs) , but they have been good so far, been using them for three months.

The fogs are another matter they are hard to source in the right size for mine, managed to get some in the same colour though. I think yours will be different on yours. :thumbsup:

two options

1) nightbreakers

2) hid conversion kit

so you'll need

1) 2x 501 t10 wedge base led for side lights

2) 2x h7 osram nightbreaker for 1x dipped beam and 1x high beam

OR

1) 2x 501 t10 wedge base led for side lights

2) 2x h7 hid conversion kit or put nightbreakers in the high beam and just convert the dipped to hid

obviously hids kits and bulbs come in pairs in case you're coming up short on number of bulbs lol

i tend to find oem xenon headlamp'd cars still come with yellow fog lights and i've left my own yellow because hid is horrible in fog it just reflects all the brightness into your eyes whereas yellow light actually helps you in seeing where you going - this is also why areas on the m62 for example which are prone to fog have yellow street lighting rather than the white street lamps found elsewhere on the motorway network.

it comes to cost and time. nightbreakers will be cheaper than hid kits and quicker to just swap the bulbs over whereas the dipped beam conversion to hid would give you much much more light on the road.

just depends the route you want to take and do take into account they changing the mot regs so that excessively bright hids conversion will be an mot fail. i think this hasnt came into force yet but its easy enough to swap to normal bulbs for the mot and then swap back to hid or whatever you wanna do.

I bought a pair of Philips bulbs today for my 2.0 diesel SR, will have to wait untill the weekend to fit them though, My hands are like shovels so it looks like a bumper off and headlights out job ..

HI

Been doing my research on my bulbs...gosh they are working out to be EXPENSIVE!!!

I'll need 2 sets of H7 (499) for my main and dipped & 1 set 5w (501) for my sidelights...and apparently i'll need H11's for my fogs...and they cost a bomb!

My options are: Osram nightbreaker plus H7 £38.00 for 2 sets and 1 set H11 £40.00...shame i dont have H4 for my fogs as they're a lot cheaper! To be honest i havent even checked what bulbs are in my fogs...just going on what people are telling me!

My 2nd option are Philips Bluevision...which are slightly cheaper.

Or maybe i should just stick with what i got...do these bulbs really make much of a difference?

Sammy

if you go from normal (for example Ring) headlight bulbs to something like osram nightbreaker yes you will definitely see a difference, or at least i did anyway before i got hids.

Just get Chinese hid kits for the h7 dipped beam loads on eBay and their as good as the uk kits.

For your fogs get led bulbs again loads on eBay. Check your manual out, it will state the bulb type in there.

For your sidelights, get LEDs their alot brighter than any normal bulb.

Here's some pics from my build threa

Sidelights

c6bc089a.jpg

Dipped

94f0505d.jpg

Dipped and full beams (I have hids for both)

541f2f83.jpg

Led fogs

DSC_0250.jpg

:thumbsup:

Just get Chinese hid kits for the h7 dipped beam loads on eBay and their as good as the uk kits.

For your fogs get led bulbs again loads on eBay. Check your manual out, it will state the bulb type in there.

Are all these legal or will they have to be changed for a m.o.t.

depends how friendly you are with your mot station but to be honest 20minutes once per year swapping them out for normal bulbs (if push comes to shove) is not the end of the world. there are people who get exhaust cats refitted just for mots this is just a case of swapping bulbs.

Here's some pics from my build threa

Sidelights

c6bc089a.jpg

Dipped

94f0505d.jpg

Dipped and full beams (I have hids for both)

541f2f83.jpg

Led fogs

DSC_0250.jpg

:thumbsup:

the LED's look superb, i got LED sidelights atm and going to get some LED fogs

hope they look as nice as yours though, kinda got the idea from seeing your car on another post i think, cheers mate :thumbsup:

Completely off topic but.........

What a fantastic view out of your garage there Bridges! :D:

Kingo :thumbsup:

bridges is so spoilt................

personal garage with country view and private lanes to break speed limits LEGALLY .....

and his detailing collection is off the hook aswell.

Me spoilt.... I wish :( ahahahaha

It is a lovely spot and yes lanes are fun, spec with coils :D

And my detailing grotto could be crazy to some people!!

Have done all mine, makes a big difference, nothing fancy just changed to Xenon with a slight blue tint the blue is hardly noticable, but the difference in light quality is great.

I had a complete set of Dip, Main and Sides on ebay all in didn't cost much (I don't believe in spending loads on bulbs) , but they have been good so far, been using them for three months.

The fogs are another matter they are hard to source in the right size for mine, managed to get some in the same colour though. I think yours will be different on yours. :thumbsup:

HI Eddieinvader

just curious...you know how you said you bought a complete set on eBay and it didnt cost much...and i agree with you when you say "I don't believe in spending loads on bulbs"...which ones did you buy and how much did they cost all in? Are they branded? Seen some xenon bulbs £8.99 a pair for H7 via eBay but dont know if they're any good! Please do let me know. Thanks.

sammy

Have done all mine, makes a big difference, nothing fancy just changed to Xenon with a slight blue tint the blue is hardly noticable, but the difference in light quality is great.

I had a complete set of Dip, Main and Sides on ebay all in didn't cost much (I don't believe in spending loads on bulbs) , but they have been good so far, been using them for three months.

HI Eddieinvader

just curious...you know how you said you bought a complete set on eBay and it didnt cost much...and i agree with you when you say "I don't believe in spending loads on bulbs"...which ones did you buy and how much did they cost all in? Are they branded? Seen some xenon bulbs £8.99 a pair for H7 via eBay but dont know if they're any good! Please do let me know. Thanks.

sammy

Hi Sammy

Try something like this for £15.00 it's got to be worth a go. :thumbsup:

These are not the same as the ones I had but they should give you the same effect. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XENON-WHITE-BULB-KIT-Toyota-Corolla-04-H7-H7-HB4-/380189725648?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item588512d3d0

Just check your foglights for the right number before you buy not sure what yours are on the facelift.

To be honest though it might be worth looking into the led side of things, I want to go down the same route as some on here and next time they need changing I will be exploring the subject further.

To be honest though it might be worth looking into the led side of things, I want to go down the same route as some on here and next time they need changing I will be exploring the subject further.

Rear light went, have ordered some LED ones, might aswell give them a go :thumbsup:

HI guys

Im a new member and just recently got my hands on a rolla t-sport. Im looking to change the side lights/bulbs and was wondering what the best way is to do it? There is hardly any room behind the lamps from the engine bay so is it a case of removing the lamps/bumper completly? Is it easy to do as ive never removed a bumper in the past. Any feedback is much appreciated. Cheers

as a minimum remove the black plastic which covers the top of the radiator so you can get to your main beam bulbs. on the passenger side whip the Battery out and there's more than enough room imo for drivers side if you can't do it then taking the headlight out is probably the only option.

if you can't do it then taking the headlight out is probably the only option

If you need to do the above then you got to go through the taking off of the bumper routine :lol:

if you can't do it then taking the headlight out is probably the only option

If you need to do the above then you got to go through the taking off of the bumper routine :lol:

aah ok i always mess about just with Battery removed so i didnt know removing headlight means removing bumper

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links