Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Rav4 Washer Jets Keep Freezing

Leanna

I have just bought my first Rav4 (2008 XTR) and whereas I am enjoying the benefits of a 4x4 in the snow I am having big problems with the washer jets freezing. I have winter washer fluid in the washer bottle (high concentrate), so the problem must be with the jets themselves.I have tried spraying de-icer at them, using warm water, etc. After a 30-40 minute drive home they are still frozen. With the amount of salt and mess on the road, I am having to take a bottle of water with me and keep winding down the window, leaning out and splashing the windscreen just to be able to see where I am going! Are other owners having the same problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bothwell_buyer

• Roadwrangler

• Leanna

• RAV4Len

I have just bought my first Rav4 (2008 XTR) and whereas I am enjoying the benefits of a 4x4 in the snow I am having big problems with the washer jets freezing. I have winter washer fluid in the washer bottle (high concentrate), so the problem must be with the jets themselves.I have tried spraying de-icer at them, using warm water, etc. After a 30-40 minute drive home they are still frozen. With the amount of salt and mess on the road, I am having to take a bottle of water with me and keep winding down the window, leaning out and splashing the windscreen just to be able to see where I am going! Are other owners having the same problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi and welcome to the forum. Your post has found its way into the MR2 section somehow so maybe some kind moderator will shift it to the RAV section.

My washers froze tonight, but then the temp is -10C. You need a good concentrate of alcohol to deal with that I guess. Are you sure its the jets and not the tank?

With the temps being so low, any wind speed will increase the chill factor so you can guess what temp effect it would have on a still air temp of -10C !

Hi thank you for the reply - opps - not sure how my post ended up on the MR2 site but thank you for the welcome.

Leanna

The screenwash needs to be close to undiluted in this weather or it will freeze.

Hi Leanna + welcome, Most good winter screenwashes Bluecol etc give ptotection down to -20 but you have to use the right concentrate, I have in the past, though not on my rav i hasten to add, used a small amount of Meths in my washer bottle with no ill effects :thumbsup: Stew

Mine has been frozen solid for the last few days too. It's about 60% conc but the cold snook up on me before I could replace with 100%. now the jets are frozen so changing whats in the bottle makes no difference!

LIDL sell screenwash suitable down to -40'C. The stuff from supermarkets and Halfords is often diluted and only good down to -7'C or so.

(LIDL are also doing a handy telescopic magnet and telescopic mirror just now for all those butter fingered DIYers).

Will have to invest in some of that then if this weather persists (which looks likely).

Thanks for the tip!

Hi LEANNA

it is good practice to change fluid before winter comes. the worst problem might be with cylinder pump mounted into the plastic tank -- it could be frozen when you tried to switch it ON -- resulting its burning out or so. the fluid chancge is other matter -- be sure the pump is in order (pump/pump fuse). do not forget to have a winter fluid circulated thru both fore and aft nozzles. AS other said -- use even up to (-20 C) fluid as already mixed. Cheers/Igor

I am having the same problem, frozen all week, lows of -20. I have been carrying a large container of diluted screenwash I to splash the windscreen with between journeys. I heard somebody at work talking about mixing very cheap supermarket vodka into the screenwash bottle. Apparently, its cheaper than some over the counter screenwash brands! Not tried it myself though. Incidently, why doesn't the rav4 have a screenwash low senser? This is standard fit to nearly all cars these days....

Blue

I am having the same problem, frozen all week, lows of -20. I have been carrying a large container of diluted screenwash I to splash the windscreen with between journeys. I heard somebody at work talking about mixing very cheap supermarket vodka into the screenwash bottle. Apparently, its cheaper than some over the counter screenwash brands! Not tried it myself though. Incidently, why doesn't the rav4 have a screenwash low senser? This is standard fit to nearly all cars these days....

Blue

hi mate

be careful when used vodka --- do not collect an air from outside but inside recirculation - otherwise these alcohol vapours will bring a lot of interresting for road police !!!! Cheers/Igor

As an accomplished alcoholic, I can vouch for any spirits being capable of being kept in a freezer ( -21C ) quite happily. You'll know from the smell of blue concentrate when used in the screenwash that it can be quite potent. Vodka in the screenwash - you could probably try claiming the Excise back!! Good idea though.

And thanks for the tip re screenwash at Little ( :lol: ). I'll be round there for a few gallons - must be cheaper than whisky! :thumbsup:

I told a lie. I just got the container out and it's not usable down to -40'C.

It says it's good down to -60'C :thumbsup:

LIDL's "Ultimate Speed Anti-freeze" screenwash. With citrus fragrance :rolleyes: .

Undiluted = -60'C

1:1 = -20'C

1 screenwash:2 water = -10'C.

It tends to sell out quite quickly.

LIDL's "Ultimate Speed Anti-freeze" screenwash. With citrus fragrance :rolleyes: .

Undiluted = -60'C

this winter will bring a GREAT business for these products selling.

what winter will be here -- will see. have already mixed fluid.

cheers/Igor

I won't be buying Vodka for the screenwash ha ha just passing on information I heard this week.

Now off to Lidl's

As an accomplished alcoholic,............

:D: :D: :D: Nice one Bothy ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

I was over in Germany in the mid 80's and vodka was cheaper than screen wash and didn't freeze up either. Guess what was used? We put some "proper" screen wash in to fool the customs people at the borders :!Removed!:

Blue

Igor will know that's an old Russian trick!

I did exactly that a couple of days ago - no concentrate available anywhere, just the pathetic diluted stuff. So stopped at a local garage/shop and bought their cheapest bottle of vodka. You should have seen the look the woman behind the counter gave me...it works though and was actually cheaper than the highly concentrated stuff I found a day later! :D

RAV 4.2 seems to have a problem of the washer bottle freezing when the temperature is low though - had the same last year and abroad.

Undiluted = -60'C

So I found out when I visited them today.... :crybaby: :crybaby:

Blue

Igor will know that's an old Russian trick!

I did exactly that a couple of days ago - no concentrate available anywhere, just the pathetic diluted stuff. So stopped at a local garage/shop and bought their cheapest bottle of vodka. You should have seen the look the woman behind the counter gave me...it works though and was actually cheaper than the highly concentrated stuff I found a day later! :D

RAV 4.2 seems to have a problem of the washer bottle freezing when the temperature is low though - had the same last year and abroad.

I guess its the position of the reservoir tank. My washers defrosted today on number 1 RAV after it had sat following a forced high rev drive to burn off crap in the engine...so the engine was well up to heat. Travelling along at 5000rpm in 2nd gear on icy roads should not be tried out at home though, children! :eek:

Thank you for the suggestions, been to Lidle twice now but without luck so far - it certainly sells out fast. I have increased the concentration of the washer fluid but think I do need some 'heavier duty' screen wash. I have also spoken with the Toyota dealer I bought the car from. He did say it was a an annoying Toyota problem and the European cars have heated washer systems / jets (not much help for UK owners though) but has suggested taking out the black insulation panel that sits under the bonnet (sound proofing) to see if that allows more heat from the engine to warm the pipes.

Has anyone tried doing this?

I don't know whether this would help or not as the exposed pipe that runs up the left hand side of the bonnet is not frozen, it certainly seems to be just the jets themselves.

Once the car has been sat inside the garage for a while the washers’ work, so i know they are not blocked and the motor is working.

You could try Halfords for their Double Concentrate Screenwash

It says it's good down to -23'C. Never tried it though. And it's a bit pricey (LIDL's is £6 for 5 litres).

Or see if ScreenWash.co.uk have something suitable.

I put some anti-freeze in with screen wash/water mix in mine seems to work

I put some anti-freeze in with screen wash/water mix in mine seems to work

What effect does that have on the paint finish?