Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Rav4 Washer Jets Keep Freezing

Leanna

it worked in the 10 litre cummins ERF i used to drive , I'd stick about 2 or 3 gls into a 60 gallon tank and it kept it going , but I'm not sure what consequence it would have on a modern common rail, full of clever electronic gizmos job

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bothwell_buyer

• Roadwrangler

• igormus

• MarsKy

I've been using a Holts concentrated one which I get in 5 litre bottles, mixing approx 1:1 not had a problem yet, -9°c here this morning.

I'm more worried about the diesel going waxy if it gets much colder, I seem to recall a couple of litres of petrol in your tank and filled up with diesel helps prevent waxing?

Not an expert but i believe Its a NO-NO to putting petrol in these vehicles + I am told all modern diesels are very petrol intolerant, I wouldn't worry too much about diesel freezing, especially if using quality diesel..Stew

For Diesel waxing, earlier on this year, john21245, in this thread:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105649

Suggested a simple solution, of just keeping the tank topped up:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105649&view=findpost&p=959124

The Holts screen wash I've been using is safe to -36°c neat and -16°c mixed at 1:1 costs £3.99+vat from Costco for 5L.

I'm more worried about the diesel going waxy if it gets much colder, I seem to recall a couple of litres of petrol in your tank and filled up with diesel helps prevent waxing?

Not an expert but i believe Its a NO-NO to putting petrol in these vehicles + I am told all modern diesels are very petrol intolerant, I wouldn't worry too much about diesel freezing, especially if using quality diesel..Stew

Hi Stew, I'll look into it before I risk it then, though seems to me it's only like sticking thinners into paint, same basic product, just from a different point in the refining process. Perhaps a couple of litres of parafin (Kerosene) might be better, that seems to stay liquid in my greenhouse heaters, though doubt the greenhouse ever got much beyond -10. I'm sure I heard on local radio that Crosby (Liverpool) hit -22°c one night this week and a number of people had diesel waxing issues.

Regards Austin..

For Diesel waxing, earlier on this year, john21245, in this thread:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105649

Suggested a simple solution, of just keeping the tank topped up:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105649&view=findpost&p=959124

Hi Shcm,

Thanks for the links, I've got an asda garage nearby, but prefer Shell fuel, it would be a 5 mile round trip every night to top up with Shell, will have to see how cold it gets and perhaps look at what additives are available.

Regards Austin..

it worked in the 10 litre cummins ERF i used to drive , I'd stick about 2 or 3 gls into a 60 gallon tank and it kept it going , but I'm not sure what consequence it would have on a modern common rail, full of clever electronic gizmos job

my 1986 vw jetta which had a i.6 td engine,the handbook recommended up 25% petrol in the tank to stop fuel freezing.

i fitted an inline fuel heater to feed to the fuel filter,operated by a switch.i had a golf then a passat with basicly the same engine as the jetta,but no mention in their handbook of adding petrol th the diesel.but by then diesel at the pumps had a anti waxing addetive, which i beleave at first prevented waxing down to -16.dont know how low a temp is covered nowdays.the passat fuel return (spill) recirculated to the fuel fiter and and stopped any waxing.common rail diesels return warmed fuel to the tank/fiter system and stops any waxing problem.at least in the temps we get.but some countries experiance -40/50 so other precautions apply other than engine heaters.

the waxing takes place in the fiter,not the tank or fuel lines.

Hi Stew, I'll look into it before I risk it then, though seems to me it's only like sticking thinners into paint, same basic product, just from a different point in the refining process. Perhaps a couple of litres of parafin (Kerosene) might be better, that seems to stay liquid in my greenhouse heaters, though doubt the greenhouse ever got much beyond -10. I'm sure I heard on local radio that Crosby (Liverpool) hit -22°c one night this week and a number of people had diesel waxing issues.

Regards Austin..

Hi Austin

It is against the law to add paraffin to a road vehicle as the Treasury are not getting their tax from it!

Never been pulled in a car but have been a few times in a lorry for checks for that sort of thing.

I used to do same as mentioned earlier and add petrol at 20/1.but that was years ago when even "good derv" did not have the anti-freezing additives like today

Hi Leanna, when buying winter screen wash, don't just buy a bottle labled 'Winter Use'. My local Halfords has masses of 'winter spec' screen was piled up as soon as you walk through the door. It looks like a good buy, but it only covers down -4c :( . That is rubbish for winter use, don't ever buy this type. When buying screen wash for winter use, always read the lable. Make sure it states it covers down to -15c at least. We have screen wash in our RAV4 that works down to -17c, it has not failed yet and the washer jets don't freeze. Sometimes though, even if you have the right screen wash, the jets can freeze due to the outside frost blocking them. This has happened in the past with me, but warm water un-blocks them quickly. I have not had freezing screen wash for years because I make sure I'm covered at least down to -15c. Please take this advice, change your screen wash to proper winter spec and you'll be laughing with a nice clear windscreen. :thumbsup:

We've had very low temps here for a few weeks. Our main problem is with the large generator we have and the red diesel that seems to wax up. I've read that its the paraffin element of it that waxes and once waxed can't be re-heated to remove.

Aside of the difficulty getting anti-freeze in the quantity we need for the trucks, the batteries have been taking a hammering in the -18C mornings.

hi room, and a happy Christmas to you all. ain't been of for a while well i have but not posted for a while ,, good thing that means rav is running like a dream. planning to change screen wash tomorrow because as many of you have already stated the Halfords pre mixed stuff is shi_, just wanted to no if there was any other way apart from siphoning that i can use to remove as much as possible of the old screen wash..... many thanks john

hi room, and a happy Christmas to you all. ain't been of for a while well i have but not posted for a while ,, good thing that means rav is running like a dream. planning to change screen wash tomorrow because as many of you have already stated the halfords pre mixed stuff is shi_, just wanted to no if there was any other way apart from siphoning that i can use to remove as much as possible of the old screen wash..... many thanks john

If you can find a union in the pipes from the tank [possibly two if you have rear screen wiper] I guess you could simply undo and use the washer pump to pump it out.

Not sure if the pumps are designed for semi continuous running though :unsure:

hi room, and a happy Christmas to you all. ain't been of for a while well i have but not posted for a while ,, good thing that means rav is running like a dream. planning to change screen wash tomorrow because as many of you have already stated the halfords pre mixed stuff is shi_, just wanted to no if there was any other way apart from siphoning that i can use to remove as much as possible of the old screen wash..... many thanks john

If you can find a union in the pipes from the tank [possibly two if you have rear screen wiper] I guess you could simply undo and use the washer pump to pump it out.

Not sure if the pumps are designed for semi continuous running though :unsure:

Well its supposed to get warmer for the next few days,(it rained here REINDEER last night) so if your washers are working just use them a lot till you have enough room to top up with the concentrated stuff + keep topping up with that :thumbsup: Stew

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links