Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Studless Snow V All Season V Summer Tyres On Ice

MarsKy

Not exactly high speed travel, but this YouTube video should demonstrate the differences between tyre types on ice:

And another:

Wow! There is a big difference isn't there!!! The cornering in snow was by far the best test, the BMW running wide really shows how dangerous this weather is without the proper care and equipment.

has anyone tried the glorified sock for use on ice on each tyre??

Hmmm.........been wondering about those myself. Hampshire Ambulance service are using them:LINK

i saw them on a fairly well known website and wondered. Good for ice I'd guess which is what we will probably get in the next week - but I'd guess not so clever on snow/slush roads.

hi

what sock did you mean? please make clear.

cheers/Igor

I saw a Renault estate with one in Wishaw the other day. He was still spinning his wheels. With the mix of snow and bits of exposed tarmac, I can't see how they can last too long.

hi

cheers/Igor

A very quick "google" has brought THIS up hope it helps :thumbsup: Stew

I saw a Renault estate with one in Wishaw the other day. He was still spinning his wheels. With the mix of snow and bits of exposed tarmac, I can't see how they can last too long.

They are intended mainly for situations where the tyres have lost grip/ the car is stuck, or use on ice.

They will shred, as one site says, if used on tarmac. And I don't see how much good they would be on soft snow. Hard snow and ice only I guess.

Theres an article in autoexpress this week that says insurance companies are putting up premiums if you fit winter tyres. Also most makes have sold out an anyone who has them has put up prices.

The Increased premiums are based on backwards insurance companies with out of date computer systems unable to cope with modifications of any type over standard fit items.

It's just ridiculous they would charge higher premium for a safer tyre pattern, I would expect a discount. The article states a 400% increase in demand on winter tyres since 2009. Insurance companies need to wake up.

Blue

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/260503/winter_tyre_ko_as_big_freeze_hits.html

Aye.

Someone was quoted a £115 increase! They were asked if it improved their driving - which it obviously does in snow and ice conditions - and so was hit with a rise, as it constituted a performance upgrade. :help:

Anyway, it seems if you swap like-for-like, i.e. same wheel and same tyre size to the OEM spec, then most insurers let you do it without a price increase.

Also most makes have sold out an anyone who has them has put up prices.

Strewth - the tyres I ordered on 26th November have jumped £50. Each.

hi

cheers/Igor

Stew

These really work' aren't they?

CHeers/Igor

hi

cheers/Igor

Stew

CHeers/Igor

If you want to find out Igor you can do a little experiment - try walking on ice in your boots and then take the boots off and try again in just your socks. Your feet will freeze but you will be less likely to slip :D

hi

cheers/Igor

Stew

CHeers/Igor

If you want to find out Igor you can do a little experiment - try walking on ice in your boots and then take the boots off and try again in just your socks. Your feet will freeze but you will be less likely to slip :D

Or do what we used to do as kids - put socks over our boots for better grip. It works. But your socks don't last for too long :)

hi

cheers/Igor

Stew

CHeers/Igor

Or do what we used to do as kids - put socks over our boots for better grip. It works. But your socks don't last for too long :)

yes yes, i ve seen an old people wear such socks on icy road during our cool winter - but could not imagine similar method works perfect on tyres -- excellent. the advantage is they cost a little or i am mistaken :)

Cheers/Igor

yes yes, i ve seen an old people wear such socks on icy road during our cool winter - but could not imagine similar method works perfect on tyres -- excellent. the advantage is they cost a little or i am mistaken :)

Cheers/Igor

They tend to be used like snow chains, in that you would take them off before driving on tarmac. But I think they are quicker to put on:

They seem good enough for a fleet of ambulances to have bought them: BBC News (Edit: whoops, DavRav posted it earlier).

The next few days should prove interesting in the UK for all these winter/ snow tyres and socks. The snow that has fallen might have been deep, but it has been very soft and very easy to push through. Now that it is compacting and icing up, there will be more testing conditions for cars.

Theres an article in autoexpress this week that says insurance companies are putting up premiums if you fit winter tyres. Also most makes have sold out an anyone who has them has put up prices.

I called Privilege Insurance today (the company that tried to charge someone £115 extra last year), and asked if I had to notify them. They said yes.

But they just make a note of it and send out an updated certificate. There was no price increase.

They didn't ask about changes in tyre size, make, etc. Their only concern was that it wasn't going to be used for off-roading.

The Association of British Insurers also have made a statement on winter tyres:

Snow tyres

Auto Express reported that several of its readers had faced higher motor premiums as a result of fitting snow tyres to their vehicles. This lead to a number of media enquiries, including an interview on BBC Money Box.

The ABI confirmed that (following consultation with a number of leading motor insurers) that it was unlikely that fitting such tyres would be seen as a relevant modification, but if in any doubt advise your motor insurer and let them decide.