Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another Tyre Question

old red

Can anyone tell me whats the largest tyres you can put on standard rims of a 1997 rav4 to get a bit more height, thanks....

Can anyone tell me whats the largest tyres you can put on standard rims of a 1997 rav4 to get a bit more height, thanks....

If you are looking at larger tyres on the same wheel, your first problem will be contact between the tyre and inner wing on full lock. You might get away with larger tyres by using a spacer... easiest way is to measure the clearance between the bodywork and tyre when on full lock both ways.

There are other ways of gaining more height without messing with the wheels, such as spring assisters front and back or changing the springs. On the 4.1 RAV, why would you want extra height?? (sorry about using the word why)

The original 4.1 will take 16" up to 20" wheels using the tyre size to suit. If you go for a different wheel, then with a slightly wider track, I found you can increase the tyre size. Theres not much advantage at changing tyre size as it won't really affect the height that much....millimetres. Then if you go for an over-sized tyre then the gearing is altered to make the off-road capability worse.

Another way is to also change the shocks so you don't get so much dip...but the clearance underneath will not change much due to the suspension layout.

So back to earlier, additional height is going to be altering the suspension. When you do that, you will also alter camber possibly and certainly the handling of the car on normal roads (whats a normal road :wacko: :wacko: ) Then you start messing with the dynamics of the driveshaft alignment to the driving wheels putting more strain on these parts. On a 13 year old car.

If you post up what you want to achieve, I could maybe give some more details.