Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Getting Stuck

mick1020

Well it was going to happen sooner or later , while dropping my daughter off at home went down the normal steep bank and to our horror the bank was blocked . So the only way back up was to reverse , the snow was really compacted and didnt hold much hope for getting back up . So i give it ago and the traction control kept kicking in for the first 3 attempts and was never going to get up the bank so remembering about the LOCK button on the dash i pressed that , and hey presto it pulled us up no bother :rolleyes:

Ive read the posts about the rav pulling away in 4wd until the 23 mph mark , but does the LOCK make the traction control back off a little . I cannot understand how it got up with the LOCK Button on and couldnt without it pressed as it should have been in 4wd anyway :huh:

The perfect vehicles for this weather though .

As I understand it Mick... all four wheels 'are' driven when the lock button is out, but the individual wheels can lose traction and spin if the grip is poor. By selecting the lock button... all four wheels are 'locked' together and turn in unison giving more overall grip. However, it is not recomended to use the lock under normal driving conditions as theis will cause tyre and transmission wear, such as turning etc., then the wheels will normally need to rotate at differant speeds!

Anchorman or Bothy will probably have a more accurate discription of this! I have a 4.1 Rav... and touch wood I have never had need to engage the lock... I also understand it can be a bit tricky 'unlocking' the drive. You may have to drive the car slowly backwards and forwards to get the lock to drop out!

DaveH

Well it was going to happen sooner or later , while dropping my daughter off at home went down the normal steep bank and to our horror the bank was blocked . So the only way back up was to reverse , the snow was really compacted and didnt hold much hope for getting back up . So i give it ago and the traction control kept kicking in for the first 3 attempts and was never going to get up the bank so remembering about the LOCK button on the dash i pressed that , and hey presto it pulled us up no bother :rolleyes:

Ive read the posts about the rav pulling away in 4wd until the 23 mph mark , but does the LOCK make the traction control back off a little . I cannot understand how it got up with the LOCK Button on and couldnt without it pressed as it should have been in 4wd anyway :huh:

As I understand it Mick... all four wheels 'are' driven when the lock button is out, but the individual wheels can lose traction and spin if the grip is poor. By selecting the lock button... all four wheels are 'locked' together and turn in unison giving more overall grip. However, it is not recomended to use the lock under normal driving conditions as theis will cause tyre and transmission wear, such as turning etc., then the wheels will normally need to rotate at differant speeds!

Anchorman or Bothy will probably have a more accurate discription of this! I have a 4.1 Rav... and touch wood I have never had need to engage the lock... I also understand it can be a bit tricky 'unlocking' the drive. You may have to drive the car slowly backwards and forwards to get the lock to drop out!

DaveH

Don't think the 'rocking' is necessary with the 4.3 as it's an electro magnetic system so can't stick :unsure:

...............as it's an electro magnetic system so can't stick :unsure:

That'll be "Murphy's Law" invoked then Dav :D.

...............as it's an electro magnetic system so can't stick :unsure:

That'll be "Murphy's Law" invoked then Dav :D.

Yup, Lord knows what you do if a wire breaks/comes loose/corrodes..................You cant shake those back into place :unsure:

DaveH

You might have to rock a 4.1 because it is mechanical but a 4.3 will just drop out.

Your description is nearly right but the wheels on each axle could actually spin through the diff in which case the TRC would cut in. The lock has no effect on the TRC and it will die if you get on a really low friction surface.

Now thanks to Davrav we're all doomed anyway so take your tow rope!!!

That explains it then Daveh cheers , the wheels did seam to work together when locked and felt a lot more stable. Without it locked the car was sliding to the side .

Now thanks to Davrav we're all doomed anyway so take your tow rope!!!

I only said it couldn't stick - you're now saying it will drop out :eek:

That would really leave us in the mire :help:

Our side street has been under a lot of compact snow the whole week. As such when leaving the street i have always had the 'diff lock' on.

When I was pulling the van out and getting myself stuck, the TRC did kick in however only two wheels were spinning out. The other two were going nowhere.

Anchs explains the "diff lock" well in this topic: "What does a diff lock actually do?". I have to admit, she did get stuck and it took the might of a couple of lads to push her out the grooves she had duck for herself.. (I blame the shody tyres at the back!)

Great car for the snow. The wife is due in the next couple of weeks and it's great to know i have the car to get her to the hospital should there be a lot of snow around when that time comes.