Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Lost Keys Rant

100949football

Hi Guys,

new to this Forum so please be gentle.

I have 2 x Toyota Avensis VVTI and unfortunately over the past few days one of my drivers lost the ignition keys in the heavy snow we have had here in Scotland.

Unfortunately we did not have a spare for this one (we do for the other car) and this has and continues to cause MAJOR grief.

We have had search parties trying to find them, even the local Metal Detector Club have had two guys with highly sophisticated machines looking but no luck.

My "Rant" however, is over the fact that manufacturers - NOT specifically Toyota - should have an easier method of replacing GENUINELY lost vehicle keys, which I am sure is a fairly common occurrence.

My Local Toyota dealer - most helpful - but outlining the fact that replacing a lost key is NOT a simple matter and involves replacing locks, ignition barrels, ECU's, coding etc and quoted cost well into "four figures"!

That to me is quite absurd to the GENUINE owner of a vehicle who has accidently lost a key.

Surely there can be some owner / manufacturer data base which - in this day and age of high technology - can come up with an easier and less costly solution than that.

Yes, there should be a cost but NOT a prohibitive cost!

Anyone want to comment - and PLEASE - don't come up with "it serves you right for losing them", or "you should be insured for this". That is NOT the point I am making!

There are cheaper alternatives if you don't go through Toyota; There were a couple of people/companies advertising on here for cheaper key reprogramming services. In both cases tho', you needed to send them the whole ECU.

I think another alternative is getting an ECU+Key-set combo from a scrappy and swapping those out.

Getting the dealer to do it is always expensive; They have to do everything according to their procedures which means replacing everything with brand new parts :(

Hi Guys,

new to this Forum so please be gentle.

I have 2 x Toyota Avensis VVTI and unfortunately over the past few days one of my drivers lost the ignition keys in the heavy snow we have had here in Scotland.

Unfortunately we did not have a spare for this one (we do for the other car) and this has and continues to cause MAJOR grief.

We have had search parties trying to find them, even the local Metal Detector Club have had two guys with highly sophisticated machines looking but no luck.

My "Rant" however, is over the fact that manufacturers - NOT specifically Toyota - should have an easier method of replacing GENUINELY lost vehicle keys, which I am sure is a fairly common occurrence.

My Local Toyota dealer - most helpful - but outlining the fact that replacing a lost key is NOT a simple matter and involves replacing locks, ignition barrels, ECU's, coding etc and quoted cost well into "four figures"!

That to me is quite absurd to the GENUINE owner of a vehicle who has accidently lost a key.

Surely there can be some owner / manufacturer data base which - in this day and age of high technology - can come up with an easier and less costly solution than that.

Yes, there should be a cost but NOT a prohibitive cost!

Anyone want to comment - and PLEASE - don't come up with "it serves you right for losing them", or "you should be insured for this". That is NOT the point I am making!

thats a stupid price to have to pay for replacement keys.some one told that fords charge £75 to replace and reprogramn keys,thought that was bad enough.is there any chance someone has found your keys and handed them in to a police station,may be worth checking.

thats a stupid price to have to pay for replacement keys.some one told that fords charge £75 to replace and reprogramn keys,thought that was bad enough.is there any chance someone has found your keys and handed them in to a police station,may be worth checking.

I agree friend but that was what I was quoted!

However, the GOOOOOOOOOOOD news is the keys were found! What a relief all-round.

However this has also started a bit of a bugbear and perhaps I may now start a campaign / crusade into getting this matter sorted out.

My local MP may be getting an earful along with some local Press.

I really do think this situation is verging on the "criminal" after all car companies take our hard-earned for their vehicles so surely they have an obligation / duty to provide spare parts / replacement parts relative to our vehicles and NOT at exhorbitant rip-off prices!

There I am started!!!!!!!!!

I would make sure you have a copy of that key just in case it happens again.

It will be a lot cheaper to get a spare made up now you have an original, than it will to replace the whole lot if it gets lost again.

I'm not sure the press or your local MP will be too sympathetic about a set of keys being misplaced, people do this everyday! I would invest that time in putting in some sort of procedure in place to ensure it won't happen again (maybe a chain on the yeyring linked through a belt loop??).

Glad you found the keys though.

"My local MP may be getting an earful along with some local Press."

What the heck is the local MP going to be able to do :huh: They are as useful as a chocolate teapot :ffs:

What the heck is the local MP going to be able to do:huh: They are as useful as a chocolate teapot :ffs:

Unless.... he has a few quid spare from some recent claims :lol:

Glad you found the keys! :thumbsup:

Might be more productive talking to Watchdog rather than the MP tho'! :lol:

I agree friend but that was what I was quoted!

However, the GOOOOOOOOOOOD news is the keys were found! What a relief all-round.

However this has also started a bit of a bugbear and perhaps I may now start a campaign / crusade into getting this matter sorted out.

My local MP may be getting an earful along with some local Press.

I really do think this situation is verging on the "criminal" after all car companies take our hard-earned for their vehicles so surely they have an obligation / duty to provide spare parts / replacement parts relative to our vehicles and NOT at exhorbitant rip-off prices!

There I am started!!!!!!!!!

Do not waste your time and effort!

The reasons for this are security of your car, so that it is expensive for just anyone to get replacement keys made.

NOW is the time to make sure that you have a SPARE key.......stored safely!

What the heck is the local MP going to be able to do :huh: They are as useful as a chocolate teapot :ffs:

OI, whats the matter with chocolate teapots??? How else do you keep the stuff warm :yahoo:

Why have some of the replies and quotes been removed is this site censored?

Cant see which ones on this thread you mean, but usually posts are censored 'cos they are offensive or contain bad language i think....

We have this conversation with customers on a weekly basis

From a dealer point of view, we DO NOT have a database of keys, magic keys, skeleton keys or whatever. they don't exist. Our ONLY option is to replace keys/locks/ECU's etc. The reason for this is as mentioned above, for security

However, just like you can get a "hooky" copy of the latest must have operating system or game, there are companies able to wipe your old ECU and re-programme keys to it,

Toyota will not be part of this "underworld" of wiping ECU's and re-programming keys, they are a manufacturer

Kingo :thumbsup:

From a dealer point of view, we DO NOT have a database of keys, magic keys, skeleton keys or whatever. they don't exist. Our ONLY option is to replace keys/locks/ECU's etc. The reason for this is as mentioned above, for security

However, just like you can get a "hooky" copy of the latest must have operating system or game, there are companies able to wipe your old ECU and re-programme keys to it,

Toyota will not be part of this "underworld" of wiping ECU's and re-programming keys, they are a manufacturer

Kingo,

If you have the little metal tag you get with the two keys when you buy the car, does that make life easier? or do you still have the same problem this guy has been having?

Tone

:unsure:

Losing a key is not a major headache PROVIDING you keep a MASTER KEY in a very safe place at home. Losing a MASTER KEY is a disaster. The metal tag is just a key number and not too important if you dont have it, we can locate that for you

Master keys on older models were black, sub keys were grey, on newer models, the master key is squared off and sub keys have rounded tops

We can copy a master key to programme in a new master key. We CANNOT copy a sub key, that's one of the main ideas for a sub key, it cant be copied and it doesnt open the glovebox or boot, sometimes known as a valet key

A lot of people use a master key all the time and keep a sub key at home, thats a waste of time if you lose the master key, you will end up as this chap did, although you would still be able to drive the car with the sub key, you just couldnt get another one programmed off it

Keep a master key at home

ALWAYS have at least two keys for your car, at least one MASTER key somewhere safe at home

NEVER have only one key for your car, otherwise, expect a lot of messing around and expense

If you use the above guidlines, you will not have to pester your MP, he has more important things to do like claim his expenses :lol:

Thanks for the answer Kingo.... :thumbsup:

I accept what you are saying but CANNOT accept the exhorbitant cost charged by main dealers. If the "Hooky" guys you describe can do it WHY can't the dealers legitimately - that would also eliminate the "hooky guys" overnight!

No one wants to use the services of these "hooky guys" but sometimes the ugly money-side comes into it.

I would have NO problem whatsover in paying a fair and just price for the service but most people get really fed up and annoyed with being "ripped-off" and if it is a reputable dealer / manufacturer that is doing the "ripping-off" then that simply makes it worse!!!!!!!!!!

In excess of £1200? Come on!

I also fully appreciate the security argument but surely production of ownership documents and a quick check with DVLA would validate any genuine owner's credentials. I am not suggesting over-the-counter provision of a key on the request of any Tom, ***** or Harry!

Just noticed why is the name ***** (shortened from Richard) replaced by asterisks................does the site think I am trying to write something rude? - VERY sensitive!

You might not be able to accept the costs, but the fact is, we have to change the lock set and ECU, the lock set is then programmed into the new ECU. This is a couple of hours of anybodys time. The price of parts is around £800, plus labour and VAT. We don't set the prices on parts, you can point that one firmly at Toyota

We don't have any other options other than fitting new parts or going to Hooky Harry :lol:

You might not be able to accept the costs, but the fact is, we have to change the lock set and ECU, the lock set is then programmed into the new ECU. This is a couple of hours of anybodys time. The price of parts is around £800, plus labour and VAT. We don't set the prices on parts, you can point that one firmly at Toyota

We don't have any other options other than fitting new parts or going to Hooky Harry :lol:

Thank you Kingo - I repeat

I would have NO problem whatsover in paying a fair and just price for the service but most people get really fed up and annoyed with being "ripped-off" and if it is a reputable dealer / manufacturer that is doing the "ripping-off" then that simply makes it worse!!!!!!!!!!

In excess of £1200? Come on!

I hear you stop shouting at me!!!

The system is what it is, If you keep a spare key in a safe place you would'nt need to pay any prices. I cant stand paying council tax but cannot avoid it!!!

I hear you stop shouting at me!!!

The system is what it is, If you keep a spare key in a safe place you would'nt need to pay any prices. I cant stand paying council tax but cannot avoid it!!!

Knew it would come back to this...........last sentence in my initial post -

" Anyone want to comment - and PLEASE - don't come up with "it serves you right for losing them", or "you should be insured for this". That is NOT the point I am making! "

I'm not arguing with you friend, but I just hate it when people say "that is the system"!

What are dealers supposed to do?

You get two keys with a car, and if you lose one that is YOUR fault (sorry, but that is a FACT) and you have the chance to get a new one sorted while you still have a spare.

If you are clumsy enough to lose a spare as well, then you deserve to pay stupidly high prices as you were stupid for not sorting it in the first place.

If you wish to speak to my local MP to complain about my comment, please direct your issue to:

Mr David Cameron

10 Downing street

London

Cheers

:thumbsup:

What are dealers supposed to do?

You get two keys with a car, and if you lose one that is YOUR fault (sorry, but that is a FACT) and you have the chance to get a new one sorted while you still have a spare.

If you are clumsy enough to lose a spare as well, then you deserve to pay stupidly high prices as you were stupid for not sorting it in the first place.

If you wish to speak to my local MP to complain about my comment, please direct your issue to:

Mr David Cameron

10 Downing street

London

Cheers

:thumbsup:

Dealers (and NOT just Toyota) - my friend, are supposed NOT to rip off the public.

You obviously as well did not read my previous post.

" Anyone want to comment - and PLEASE - don't come up with "it serves you right for losing them", or "you should be insured for this". That is NOT the point I am making! "

I would have been perfectly content to pay for replacements but NOT to be ripped off to the extent of - "in excess of £1200" ! Just hope in the future you do not have the misfortune to lose / misplace your key (s). Perhaps then you may understand my initial post on this forum.

But I am sure you are Mr Perfect and have several replacement keys all snuggled up in tidy little boxes just ready for such a mishap. Well done you!

By the way the comment about "contacting my local MP" was just a throwaway line - I wouldn't contact ANY MP for ANY purpose - they are ALL liars and a complete waste of space! Particularly Mr David Cameron, and when you next speak with him you can tell him I said so!