Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 T180 Sat Nav

Eddie Webb

Hello. I just wondered if anyone knows how to connect a mp3/iPod player to the sat nav in the t180?

Thanks!

Hi Eddie and welcome to TOC GB!

There are two ways ( at least ) of connecting an iPod to the B9004 satnav system in the 2007 T180. The first is a Toyota kit which can be obtained from "Parts King" on this forum at a discount and second a DICE interface obtainable from several sources ( but look on the DICE website first at what is available ). With both kits you can "control" the iPod from the satnav headunit but be warned, you won't get all the information displayed on the screen that you would on the iPod. The DICE has a seperate input for a 3.5mm stereo jack so that you can connect another sort of MP3 player ( or similar device ) using the earphones socket on the player. There is no control of the MP3 from the satnav when you use this method. I'll come clean here and say that I have tried both interfaces and both are a little disappointing in terms of the on-screen display facilities, however the sound quality is fine with either. Don't know the latest cost for a Toyota interface but the DICE is just under £100. Both are simple DIY jobs if you follow the instructions complied by our moderator Anchorman and pinned at the top of this forum. It would be well worth a search on the forum to get opinions other than mine - the issue has been discussed a few times over the past couple of years. :thumbsup: Let us know how you get on!

Thank you for the reply. How do I get to parts king on here? Sorry, not navigated this site before.

Thanks again

Thank you for the reply. How do I get to parts king on here? Sorry, not navigated this site before.

Thanks again

Here he is: LINK :thumbsup:

Send him a PM with your details and requirements.

The Grom unit has been mentioned, Im about to order one.

If the connection isnt great ive still got the 3.5mm jack and usb for charging to fall back on.

Grom Audio

Most, if not all of these adapters work by pretending to be cd-changers as far as the head unit is concerned.

The grom unit certainly does that and I believe the Toyota adapter also does that.

On and off, over several months, I've been investigating and reverse engineering the connection between the headunit and cd-changer (avclan).

I built a small interface (avclan to usb) for my pc:

cdchiface.jpg

.......and wrote some software for the pc to emulate the changer. There is a fair amount of information about avclan cd-changer emulation on the web, but information about the text display part is limited.

This interface was hooked up to my satnav (a B9017, which is a later model than B9004 found in T180,XT5). I can get it to emulate up to a 12 disk cd-changer:

disksel.jpg

After a large amount of head scratching, finally I worked out how the cdtext information was transmitted to the head unit:

seltrtext.jpg

cdchtext.jpg

Now, I've just repaired a B9004 for a forum member, so before it goes back, as part of testing, I thought I'd try my interface with it (something I never got around to when I had a XT5 with the B9004 in).

I can get 12 disk emulation again:

b9004cdch.jpg

and clearly the unit supports cdtext from the internal cd player:

b9004text2.jpg

b9004text1.jpg

but I can't get it to support cdtext from an external changer.

At power on, the head unit asks the changer some questions, to determine the changer's capabilities. As far as I can tell (by monitoring the connection between changer and headunit), the B9004 never asks the changer about cdtext capabilities. So, I suspect the B9004 is never going to display track info etc from an external source like an ipod, because it never checks if a connected cd-changer can do cdtext.

One possibility might be if the cd-changer can be put into mp3 mode. Have a look at vaistech:

http://www.vaistech.com/products/vml_products.php

and the MultiMediaLinQ manual on page 18:

http://www.vaistech.com/manuals/Manual_VML_PR.pdf

They appear to have a cd-changer in mp3 mode, with a satnav in the style of a B9004 interface. There is a note at the bottom of the page however, which suggests this is only possible on the Prius.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to emulate a changer in mp3 mode (yet).

Hopefully this sheds some light on why the display information is disappointing on the B9004. The other interface boxes should still let you connect up aux and ipods and do things like change tracks from the steering wheel controls for example, but I'd be surprised if any do the full track display info on a B9004. Be interested if anybody has found different though. :thumbsup:

Most, if not all of these adapters work by pretending to be cd-changers as far as the head unit is concerned.

The grom unit certainly does that and I believe the Toyota adapter also does that.

On and off, over several months, I've been investigating and reverse engineering the connection between the headunit and cd-changer (avclan).

cdchiface.jpg

.......and wrote some software for the pc to emulate the changer. There is a fair amount of information about avclan cd-changer emulation on the web, but information about the text display part is limited.

This interface was hooked up to my satnav (a B9017, which is a later model than B9004 found in T180,XT5). I can get it to emulate up to a 12 disk cd-changer:

disksel.jpg

After a large amount of head scratching, finally I worked out how the cdtext information was transmitted to the head unit:

seltrtext.jpg

cdchtext.jpg

Now, I've just repaired a B9004 for a forum member, so before it goes back, as part of testing, I thought I'd try my interface with it (something I never got around to when I had a XT5 with the B9004 in).

b9004cdch.jpg

b9004text2.jpg

b9004text1.jpg

At power on, the head unit asks the changer some questions, to determine the changer's capabilities. As far as I can tell (by monitoring the connection between changer and headunit), the B9004 never asks the changer about cdtext capabilities. So, I suspect the B9004 is never going to display track info etc from an external source like an ipod, because it never checks if a connected cd-changer can do cdtext.

One possibility might be if the cd-changer can be put into mp3 mode. Have a look at vaistech:

They appear to have a cd-changer in mp3 mode, with a satnav in the style of a B9004 interface. There is a note at the bottom of the page however, which suggests this is only possible on the Prius.

Hopefully this sheds some light on why the display information is disappointing on the B9004. The other interface boxes should still let you connect up aux and ipods and do things like change tracks from the steering wheel controls for example, but I'd be surprised if any do the full track display info on a B9004. Be interested if anybody has found different though. :thumbsup:

Fantastic post SHCM! If you want a Toyota iPod interface to play with PM me.

cdchiface.jpg

disksel.jpg

seltrtext.jpg

cdchtext.jpg

b9004cdch.jpg

b9004text2.jpg

b9004text1.jpg

That T180 unit will blow up if you keep playing music like that on it! Who the heck is Black Ice? :eek: ;)

That T180 unit will blow up if you keep playing music like that on it! Who the heck is Black Ice? :eek: ;)

Now there's a co-incidence I've just sent you an email about that :unsure:.

(Phew, I think I got away with that one......just :fear:. Did you know the volume control goes past 11? ;)).

Now there's a co-incidence I've just sent you an email about that :unsure:.

(Phew, I think I got away with that one......just :fear:. Did you know the volume control goes past 11? ;)).

Just replied to the email. :) What do you mean the volume goes over 11???? :unsure: You played ACDC :eek: LOUDLY on that system?............ It is doomed :( :fishyface:

• 3 years later...

Great Post guys... #

Great music too ;-) unfortunately my b9004 is exposed to loads more than just ACDC... Five finger death punch, Machine head, Tallica etc... anywho, I digress :-(

All the posts I've come across mention these "MP3" connectors to be for IPODS....

Has anyone here acutally used the same devices to connect an android phone to their Rav.

(If there is one thing I miss from my Vensis, then its the possibility to stream bluetooth music files to the system) :-(

reagards

Rob

Interesting...

Do we have an imput for this system on the B9004?

Not sure why this system is not available here in the UK if it allows android devices to link to you car stereo via bluetooth...

Thanks for the info..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links