Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Awd.?

howardm

Hi,

I can't find out anywhere what type of 4wd this car has.

Is it Permanent AWD or the poxy FWD and AWD when a wheel spins.

thx

Howard

Hi Howard, as far as I am aware the Urbancruiser 1.4 D4D is front-wheel drive. The AWD kicks in I presume like the Rav4,when driving conditions dictate that the drive pattern goes from 100% front wheel drive to 50% front 50% rear. It must be noted that this only applies to the diesel model Urbancruiser. The petrol version is only 2 wheel drive

Regards Clare

you'll find a good review of the deisel urban cruiser on 'honestjohn' car reviews. there's a video which gives you a spot on idea of the way the 4 wheel drive works, as he got it stuck in some sand, and it does seem to be front wheels start to spin and then the rear wheels kick in.

I was looking at one of these when i was going to change my rav nrg, decided to keep it in the end as the UC just wasn't up to my 3dr rav in any department.

I have seen the Honest John road test. I personally as I had a 4.1 Rav4, think the U/C is an excellent replacement for what is a sadly missed version of thr Rav4. OK it as 5 doors but length wise I would think it is about the same.

Cheers Tony

Its front wheel drive until it senses the wheels slip slightly. This could be on starting off briskly or on a wet road. It then engages the rear dif.

(Edit: Not quite. It starts off with the rear dif engaged and disengages once moving, if AWD not needed)

You can manually engage the rear dif by pressing a button, but this only works when travelling at less than 25mph.

When on icy ground, I have seen one front and one rear wheel spinning, whether going ahead or astern, so the system does work.

There is no centre dif, so I dont know how it copes with transmission windup.

The system can apply the brake to individual wheels, but it doesnt do this to prevent wheel spin when on ice. Pity.

I think this system is the same as the RAV4, and it certainly copes well on snowy roads here in Scotland.

Its limited by ground clearance, suspension travel and width of track (it cant follow in the tracks of larger 4x4s) to use on icy/snowy roads rather than off road. Just the sort of conditions we have at present, in fact.

Its very reassuring in bad conditions. Snow chains are a big help too.

Hope this is of interest.

Richard

Very good take on the AWD system on the U/C. I must admit that over here on island we have not had the amount of snow that you have had across, but not once as the U/C let me down.The one thing that is really pleasing me at the moment is the MPG that can be achieved by this wonderful diesel engine. I recently did a brim to brim test on the fuel economy and was amazed at the 60.2 miles to the gallon I achieved. On an island that measures 30 X 15 miles with no motorways and only 2 dual carraigeways I thought that was amazing.

Regards Tony

• 2 weeks later...

"There is no centre dif, so I dont know how it copes with transmission windup. "

I do know now, having looked at the RAV 4.3 forum. The electronically operated clutch in the nose of the rear dif slips if there is too much torque, as with transmission windup. Also, the clutch backs off when cornering.

I'm sure you wanted to know that. There is a practical implication though. If you get stuck and find that neither back wheel is spinning, try angling the front wheels more or less straight ahead. The system may then send more torque to the back wheels.

Richard

• 5 months later...

Does the UC have a switch to turn off the traction control?

Hi Don, caught me out with this one!!!! As far as I am aware there is no button to disable the traction control, if there is I,ve never seen or found it. There is a button for (as it says in the brochure)AWD lock mode, I would imagine this is a type of diff lock for if your really stuck. From what I read in the brochure the VSC and TRC work together, but don,t think it can be disabled.

Hope this helps

Regards Clare

Hi Don there is a topic on this forum Urbancruiser 4wd lock and if you scroll down Kingo puts a good desciption on as to how it works. Looks like it,s a system very similar to the one used on the Rav4.

Regards Clare

Hi Don, thicko Clare here,went out to U/C this afternoon (went in Mini to work today) and there is a switch to disable the traction control. It is at the side of the one that you can put on the awd lock. Hope that clarifies it for you. ( at the third attempt)

Regards Clare

• 4 years later...

just in the process of buying a 2011 urbancruiser any thing l should be aware of l live in scotland so the AWD should be a bonus for me

Hi Don, thicko Clare here,went out to U/C this afternoon (went in Mini to work today) and there is a switch to disable the traction control. It is at the side of the one that you can put on the awd lock. Hope that clarifies it for you. ( at the third attempt)

Regards Clare

Was going to say that there is a button next to the awed button

just in the process of buying a 2011 urbancruiser any thing l should be aware of l live in scotland so the AWD should be a bonus for me[

/No. Ours works find but disappointed in the lack of snow since we got it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links