Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disks And Pads

CorollaTS05

I am looking to upgrade my disks and pads, just wanted some recomendations, i was thinking black diamond disks and mintex pads? also is it worth upgrading to dot 5.1 brake fluid, am i right in saying there in no downside to up grading brake fluid, just the advantage of minimising brake fade?

cheers!

mintex pads squeak. i know i bring it up all the time but if you're picky like me then it will drive you crazy! best combo is mtec discs with ferodo pads or even black diamond discs with ferodo pads.

yes no harm is done thru upgrading brake fluid and it is good practice but if you want to totally remove fade and firm up the pedal then braided brake hoses are the way to go. when braking the fluid is under pressure and rather than transferring all of this pressure to the caliper some of the pressure is wasted causing the rubber hose to expand. braided hoses remove/reduce this effect.

/ahh cheers mate, il invest in some ferodo pads then, do they not dustlike the standard ones? id always wondered what the benefit was of braided hoses ta! makes sense now... i wonder why they dont just put that brake fluid in as standard? also where is best to buy on the net ferodo pads and black diamond disks?

to be honest i get my car mini valeted twice a week so i wasn't fussed, and still aren't, about the amount of dust created by the pads but if i had to say then i would say they produce less dust than oem brakes.

they don't put that fluid in standard cos it's overkill and not needed. jap cars are relatively simple to work on and cheaper to run generally speaking than german counterparts. those savings come from not having to use PD oil, ability to utilise cheaper brake fluid, not having to change water pump with timing belt, being able to change timing belt alone rather than the full kit etc etc you get what i mean.

i wouldn't know where to buy ferodo from the net i just got them from my local motor factors

i can't comment on the quality of black diamond brake products i've never used them so search the forum of speak to people who have used them in the past...

cheers for that link mate, i'l try a set of those, what disks would you reccomend for the front? and a link if pos would be great!

definitely mtec discs. i would go with drilled and grooved or grooved and dimpled as i have on my own car. mtecbrakes.co.uk

mintex pads squeak. i know i bring it up all the time but if you're picky like me then it will drive you crazy!

Mine have never squeeked..... :P :lol:

i think its cos the imbecile who fitted them didnt copper grease the back of the pads?

Agreed.... only an imbecile wouldn't copper grease the back...

:lol: ;)

good job it wasn't me lol! the difference between garages though is huge. i was in a rush job desperate cos my rears were to worn i think one second of hard braking would have cracked the discs off where they join the hub/drum part of the disc lol so i just pulled up at the first local jap garage i sometimes use. contrast that with if i had gone to my regular mech he would have cleaned all the bits, copper greased the pads and fitted them properly rather than doing a 10p job!

I took my car off the road for the weekend and fully stripped, cleaned and painted my brakes.

Fitted mtec grooved all round

Mintex pads all round (squeakless for months now)

Also braided hoses from fensport and 5.1 fluid

Love my stopping ability

i have e12 1.4 (07) corolla whats the best front disc brakes to get toyota just quoted me £250+ for parts +labour +VAT which tbh i dont want to spend that much

is better to ebc or mtec?

which ones last longer as im currently doing 2500 miles a month

mtec discs and ferodo pads. improved stopping power over standard and no squeaks. ebc in my experience and my friends experience aren't as good as the combo i suggested. everyone has their own opinions though...

I was looking on the mtec website and they only had it for the compressor, are they suitable n fit on a fl i colour collection?

ohh i have the diesel and am lucky i share brakes with t-sport/compressor. it might be just the t-sport and compressor they make brake upgrades for since they are 'performance' cars...

the t-sport, compressor and diesel all share same front brake setup. our discs are 275mm whereas i think all other engines have front disc size 255mm from top of my head.

if you can't get the mtec discs then i would suggest mintex discs with ferodo pads. or even mintex discs with mintex pads, remembering to put copper grease on the backs of the pads to stop them squeaking. my preferred option would be mintex discs and ferodo premier pads. personally i think ferodo premier pads are one of the best on the market right now for oem replacement/higher than oem performance but not going into the fast road/track pads.

cheers Corolla d4d, u've helped me alot today

i think ill go wit the mintex discs

no problem anytime :)

one thing i love about this forum - everyone is willing to help everyone

mentioning no names but if you post on uk-kvivs or vwaudi forum no one replies to new members. there's a small circle of regular users who reply to each other. so glad we're not like that here.

• 5 months later...

How often should the rear Brake pads be changed I have done over 21,000 miles and I think its beginning to squeak, they are the original toyota ones?

The disks seems to be fine.

How often should the rear Brake pads be changed I have done over 21,000 miles and I think its beginning to squeak, they are the original toyota ones?

The disks seems to be fine.

Squeeking brakes dont necessarily mean they need replacing mate. Have a look to see how much pad is left on them obviously you cant see how much pad is left on the inside's unless you take the wheels off or get underneath the car. Check to see when your car is due for it's next service. If the pads are low and the car's way off service get them replaced, just remember though, back pads will always last longer than the fronts as the majority of the braking is done at the front. So what you may think is not allot of pad on the backs, they will last longer than you think.

Also over time rain and grit will wash away the copper grease that has helped stop making the pads squeak so a quick top up of this betweem pad a caliper will help solve that if its clear there is still pad left and the disc isn't lipped and within the allowed thickness. Also been reading the recommendations and seems like in future I will invest in some Mintex discs and Ferodo pads :)