Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cleaning Egr Valve

Smiler AS

I know the first comments will be use the search etc., but I spent 20mins looking over lunch today though.

I can find reference to plenty of folk saying "clean the EGR valve" to solve your problems and "wow! what a difference" afterwards.

But is there a guide to doing it or pictures of at least where it is (2007 2.2 D4D engine)?

Il put my hands up, im a newbie when it comes to diesel engines.

Apprciated.

• Like 1

I know the first comments will be use the search etc., but I spent 20mins looking over lunch today though.

I can find reference to plenty of folk saying "clean the EGR valve" to solve your problems and "wow! what a difference" afterwards.

But is there a guide to doing it or pictures of at least where it is (2007 2.2 D4D engine)?

Il put my hands up, im a newbie when it comes to diesel engines.

Apprciated.

Have a look in the 'pinned' topic at the top of the page - technical hints and tips :thumbsup:

Dont mean to sound dumb, have looked there, but couldnt see it under the 4.3 Rav4. Is it named something else?

Cheers, looks simple enough now, very good guide.

Just been reading your post and the post on cleaning the EGR valve and i,m wondering if this could be the cause of my cold engine clatter. I,ve managed to track it down to the top of the engine and having been through most of the pinned topic, i,m definitely going to have a go at cleaning this.

In the topic, they talk about a "massey ferguson " noise. Is this the solenoid or is it the EGR valve itself?

I,d be interested in finding out how you got on with yours.

Is this the solenoid or is it the EGR valve itself?

What solenoid?

There was a warranty fix for engines with excessive diesel knock. They removed the injectors and sent them away for recalibration. You might be able to talk a dealer into it but think carefully about payying yourself as it is very expensive;

Noisey injectors.pdf

Anchorman:

Do you recall my comment a while back about the fuel pipes being non re-useable? Well it mentions the fact in the above bulletin. Just for info :thumbsup:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Yes absolutely. I had mine done under warranty on the red one and the pipes were quite expensive :thumbsup:

Is this the solenoid or is it the EGR valve itself?

What solenoid?

There was a warranty fix for engines with excessive diesel knock. They removed the injectors and sent them away for recalibration. You might be able to talk a dealer into it but think carefully about payying yourself as it is very expensive;

Noisey injectors.pdf

Thanks for that Anchorman but i dont think this is my problem. The car starts 100%, no excessive smoke and runs absolutely fine but there is a pronounced rattle from the top of the engine around where the EGR valve sits below the black engine cover. In summer, its around the 2200 rpm mark and goes away after about 5 mins driving. In the cold, its lower down the rev range at 1800 rpm. As before, it goes away after about 5 mins driving.

In relation to the solenoid, i thought that there looked to be a solenoid of some sort at the side of the EGR valve?

Anyone actually blanked off their EGR and been running a while?

Better worse??

I can see why its tempting.

I know somebody that runs theirs with the EGR blanked off and claims better fuel consumption and it has passed the MOT.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links