Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor Running On 4.2 D4D - Help !

nattyboy

Hi Guys

You may recall from a summer thread that the wife filled here D4D up with unleaded by mistake and started it to move it. Since then it hasnt run as well, and she is now complaining its smoky on start up and the throttle response is poor. She adds that the other day she had her foot flat to the floor and it was losing power.

Any thoughts ? We didnt replace the fuel filter so I'm wondering if thats not helping ? It also seems a bit noisier to me with a slight vibration through the floor at low revs - but maybe I'm looking for things that arent there as I dont drive it much !

Any feedback appreciated

Nat

Hi Guys

You may recall from a summer thread that the wife filled here D4D up with unleaded by mistake and started it to move it. Since then it hasnt run as well, and she is now complaining its smoky on start up and the throttle response is poor. She adds that the other day she had her foot flat to the floor and it was losing power.

Any thoughts ? We didnt replace the fuel filter so I'm wondering if thats not helping ? It also seems a bit noisier to me with a slight vibration through the floor at low revs - but maybe I'm looking for things that arent there as I dont drive it much !

Any feedback appreciated

Nat

Hi NAT

the worst is to transfer/inject petrol (if i ve understood you well)-- it has not any lubricating properties and if pricision parts have been fricting without lubricating (pump plunger with barrel; injectors)-- in other words both injectors and pump parts could lose sealing effect giving you poor injection + vibration you face now. Yes you could change petrol on diesel but the dry friction has done its bad job yet. Cheers/Igor

These issues may well not be linked. I would try and find out if there are any codes stored and it is therefor in limp mode at the moment. If not, having the info would help anyway. I'm not sure the smoke is connected as they are all "steaming" at the moment and in any case you can expect some more whitish smoke especially at start up.

Igor is right about the lubricating properties of petrol but I don't think it was in for long enough to cause a problem and if it was then I would have expected it to cause problems since the event.

It sounds a bit more like SCVs but you really should start with that fuel filter.

Thanks guys ! No - the fuel wasnt in long at all. It was just that some half wit petrol attendant demanded my wife move her car of the forecourt and wouldnt help her - so we are talking sxtarting the engine and reversing it 20 yards..the engine would have been running no more than 30 seconds.

I'll get it booked in - fingers crossed ! She hasnt had much luck this year with it..we've had 5 seperate lots of bodywork damage to it by idiots bumping it in car parks etc - one of those years !

Cheers mate ! Looks like a fairly straight forwad job if it needs doing. The car got serviced at Lindops last year as I go to Airbus a fair bit and dropped it off (its a 400 mile round trip otherwise!). They were top class and if I still went up there I would ask them to sort any work. Unfortunatley my local Toyota dealer (fish brothers) is a disgrace - Ive complained about their poor service and arrogant/unhelpful attitude a few times but it doesnt seem to make any difference. You'll therefore understand Im a bit reluctant to get them to look at it !

Unless you can retrieve a code you'll have to trust them or just take a chance yourself.

Unfortunatley my local Toyota dealer (fish brothers) is a disgrace - Ive complained about their poor service and arrogant/unhelpful attitude a few times but it doesnt seem to make any difference. You'll therefore understand Im a bit reluctant to get them to look at it !

Yeah, and they have very short memories too :censor:

Its due an interim service so lets see what thye say. Incidentally, they want £216 for that. Lindops quoted £156...go figure !

Its due an interim service so lets see what thye say. Incidentally, they want £216 for that. Lindops quoted £156...go figure !

I think I'd have a bed and breakfast weekend away in Cheshire on the difference :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Right guys - bit of an update. Had the car serviced at Toyota Bristol and they couldn't find a problem with the poor running and no error codes stored. It's ran fine for a week but yesterday the wife said it was doing it again. I took it out and sure enough it was losing power intermittently. Then the engine management light came on and it cut out altogether. Managed to limp it home but now we are proper knackered as we have a fair bit of snow and I couldn't even get my car (rear wheel driven German rubbish lol).

As I reported before, I just don't like or trust my Toyota dealer so Im thinking of taking a punt and just ordering the parts from Kingo, and getting the old man (who's quite handy on the spanners) to help me. If I do replace the SCV's does the engine management light automatically go out and are the error codes then deleted or does a dealer have to do this ?

Any additional thoughts comments appreciated! This is all I need before Xmas - dealer reckons we need £2ks worth of work doing to the car BTW after the service !! (3 tyres, clutch and flywheel, belts, pollen filter and brakes all round)

Cheers

Nat

It might clear the code but if not just disconnect the Battery and then reconnect it. When you take the earth lead off it may bleep but don't worry, they do that.

You can do most of that work yourself when the weather gets better. Sit him down in front of the pinned section for an hour and if you need any pages from the manual let me know.

If I do replace the SCV's does the engine management light automatically go out and are the error codes then deleted or does a dealer have to do this ?

Cheers

Nat

Hi Nat

Why don't you buy an error code reader off eBay for around £22.Once you fit the SCV's you can then use the reader to erase the fault codes from the memory. I bought one ,handy bit of kit for the money.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again guys

A bit of an update from me. The cars been laid up for a while so not had chance to do anything.

I've found a friend of a friend whos a mechanic and has kindly offered to help. I showed him the forum pages which he said made perfect sense, and he came round with his bluepoint diagnostic reader, but strangely there were no error codes stored !?

He has lent me his reader and showed me how to use it, and on his advice Ive driven the car round to try and get the engine management light to come on, and the minute it does plug in the reader to get a code. The first 5 miles it played up - but no engine management light - then it was good as gold - typical !

So as Toyota have already had it in and not found a fault, I guess its down to taking a punt (as they would ?!) and ordering the SCV's from Kingo and seeing where we are after that. Ive just spent half an hour reading other posts and I just hope its not something else and I'm wasting my money !

One thing I did notice (as I didnt read your reply properly initially anchorman !!) is that I should try the fuel filter first - is this easy to do and whats the approximate cost ? I'll order these parts too from Kingo.

It also needs a fan belt on the Toyota dealers recommendation as its a bit worn - again - easy to do ? (remember Ive got the old man behind me whos a bit handier than me !)

Final point - the cars Battery seems a little weak - I picked up on once post that this doesnt help - is that right ?

Thanks again guys - the forums a great help/comfort. The wife is beside herself with not having tarnsport for the kids while Im away ! A real shame all this - its been a great car so far.

The instructions for changing the filter are pinned. You can get them at most spares shop but if you want genuine contact the King.

The Battery won't help starting but it shouldn't make much difference to your problem.

SCVs may seem expensive but if you dio it they are not a bad investment as it increases the period of trouble free motoring and reduces the risk of breakdown even if they do not actually cure this part of the problem.

Cheers - fingers crossed eh ? Is the fan belt straight forward too ?

• 3 weeks later...

Update 2;

Changed the fuel filter (remember she mis fuelled it last year), and would you believe it - it hasnt missed a beat (wifes done about 200 miles and it hasnt missed once). I'm 99% that wasnt the problem though as the symptoms pointed towards the SCV's (plus the Engine Management light came on) - Im just thinking that maybe because its milder thats made a difference - the weather is the only other change !

Will drive it a while then if it plays up again order some parts from kingo. There may be a cheap 4.3 D4D T180 coming up via a mate too.

Finally I still need to replace these two drive belts - can anyone point me to the fitting instuctions anchorman mentions as I cant find them !