Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Hatchback Remove Rear Boot Window Trim

Memfis

Hi,

My rear boot window demister has stopped functioning.

I have checked the fuse and can hear a click from the relay behind the glove box so I believe the connector may have come detached from the glass which I believe is a common problem with hatchbacks.

The problem I have is that I cant figure out how to remove the trim from the boot lid to get to the connector. There's a small whole in the center between the hinges but I cant feel any screws inside. I'm wondering if it's a push tab or whether you need a special tool to remove it.

If I can remove the trim I believe I can reattach the connector to the glass (if that is the issue).

This is a desperate plea for help, this is winter and I cant be without my car for a month while I wait for a garage.

------ ----- ----- -----

Toyota Avensis 2.0 D-4D T2S

03 Plate

5 Door Hatchback

Hi,

It's clipped on, as per the drawing.

Hi Thermal,

That diagram appears to be for the roof lining. I'm trying to remove the hatchback boot lid lining.

I see, sorry about that.

Here's the opposite panel, and some more... ;)

Good luck.

post-84513-008017600 1291922860_thumb.pn

post-84513-071863800 1291922886_thumb.pn

post-84513-022921800 1291922909_thumb.pn

post-84513-014882200 1291922927_thumb.pn

post-84513-006991600 1291922949_thumb.pn

• Like 1

I see, sorry about that.

Here's the opposite panel, and some more... ;)

Good luck.

Thank you. I'll look tomorrow afternoon when it's a bit warmer. It clearly shows the number of clips and roughly where there are.

It doesn't show how to disengage the clip with a screwdriver, I presume you pull the plastic edge away from the metal and slide the screwdriver through the gap.

Then what do I do? twist of lever the clip.

Thank you for your help and please excuse what may be stupid questions.

The insert detail in the first attached file suggests that it is the type of clip where you pull up the centre locking pin of the clip and then take out the clip.

Since you asked this question in the first place, I now wonder if there are any clips visible on the outside at all.

Anyway, since none of these trims and panels are glued or welded :huh: , I suggest you take a good look and carefully pry it up on one end.

Use a torch if necessary to see what clips were used.

There are no clips visible at all on the boot lid.

I'll try tomorrow with a torch and I'll see if I can take a pic.

I have managed to see inside the side pieces of the boot lid - it appears that you have to pop the plastic over parcel shelf hooks and then slide down towards the hinge, but to slide down you need to remove the bottom (hinge) piece first.

(Bottom refers to when the boot lid is open - the part nearest the hinge -

I'm clarifying in case anyone else is searching the internet like I had)

• 1 year later...

Could someone help me.

The rear window trim on my Avensis appears to have lost all the clips with which the moulding snaps into.

Can anyone tell me if these are available to purchase and simple to insert.

Any help appreciated as it does spoil the overall appearance of what is a lovely motor.(Photot attached)

Thanks for any help and advise

Brian Chorlton

post-114962-0-09761100-1324741226_thumb.

Toyota trim clips are widely available on eBay.

see;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=toyota+clips&_sacat=See-All-Categories

(I suspect the white nylon ones half way down the first page will do)

The ones you need will be identical to the clips beneath the other trim panels on the tailgate.

where the auction describes "to fit a hole x.x mm" just put a drill bit into the hole in the body panel to size it.

Alternatively any Toyota dealer will be able to help you out.

That said, from the picture, I think you may find that the 'missing' clips are actually behind the trim clipped into the bodywork. You need to remove them with a lever - then slide them behind the lugs on the plastic trim and then push the assembly back into the body panel.

Toyota trim clips are widely available on ebay.

see;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=toyota+clips&_sacat=See-All-Categories

(I suspect the white nylon ones half way down the first page will do)

The ones you need will be identical to the clips beneath the other trim panels on the tailgate.

where the auction describes "to fit a hole x.x mm" just put a drill bit into the hole in the body panel to size it.

Alternatively any Toyota dealer will be able to help you out.

That said, from the picture, I think you may find that the 'missing' clips are actually behind the trim clipped into the bodywork. You need to remove them with a lever - then slide them behind the lugs on the plastic trim and then push the assembly back into the body panel.

Thanks for your help Garry, but its the clips that are in the body that have all gone missing thus making the trim impossible to stay fixed. I wonder if it is possible to get these clips ? I do hope so.

Any more help would be appreciated.

Brian Chorlton