Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Sensors With Tow Bar

bakalalan

Hello. I have just had a tow bar fitted to my one week old 1.4d Urban Cruiser. The rear sensors were perfectly all right beforehand but now it seems that they are picking up the tow bar even though I have removed the tow ball. Does anyone know if this is a known fault with my car? (Or have any suggestions)

Many thanks.

With respect I would have thought that if the towbar has been wired correctly, the set-up would have disabled the parking sensors, when the towbar electrics are hooked up. I must admit I have never had a towbar fitted so this is pure guess work.

out of interest was the towbar fitted by a Toyota Dealer?

Cheers Tony

With respect I would have thought that if the towbar has been wired correctly, the set-up would have disabled the parking sensors, when the towbar electrics are hooked up. I must admit I have never had a towbar fitted so this is pure guess work.

out of interest was the towbar fitted by a Toyota Dealer?

Cheers Tony

Thank you for your comments, claresdad. I have had several cars which had reversing sensors and tow bars fitted and experienced no conflicts at all. The U/C does have a manual switch in the 'boot' which can disable the unit when towing. My problem is, as I thought, the sensors picking up the tow ball. (this is, of course, with nothing hooked onto it or plugged in). However, this morning being much milder, the reversing sensors operated normally, so I put the problem down to icing up as they had played up the night before the tow bar was fitted when it was extremely icy. However, during the day they started giving false readings again.....a continuous beeping. Local agents feel it is the tow bar, despite my informing them of the pre-tow bar problem. They will have the car next week, possibly remove the tow bar to satisfy themselves that it is the culprit, and then move the sensors angle of detection so it misses the tow bar. I think it is a faulty unit, though!! The tow bar is a Westfalia, was fitted by Indespension and cost half what Toyota would charge!

Just a quick update on the rear sensors. After removing the tow bar bracket and determining for myself that this was not the cause of the erroneous readings, I had it checked over by the Toyota garage today and they confirmed, and replaced, a faulty sensor! Tow bar now re-installed and problem resolved.

Glad you sorted the problem.just goes to show even the best Japanese car builders can have off days,not so many one hopes!!!!!

Regards Clare

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links