Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Avensis Owner

trev3635

Just moved up from a carina to avensis after a crash (see 'Carina is dead, long live the Carina' thread in the carina forum) it has one really small issue, which is the temperature guage only works occasionally. Now, if it is the guage itself would i have to change the whole instrument panel? I think it could be a sticking thermostat but not quite sure?

Anyone got any ideas or had a similar problem? It's a t'reg 99 model.

Cheers, Trev.

Just moved up from a carina to avensis after a crash (see 'Carina is dead, long live the Carina' thread in the carina forum) it has one really small issue, which is the temperature guage only works occasionally. Now, if it is the guage itself would i have to change the whole instrument panel? I think it could be a sticking thermostat but not quite sure?

Cheers, Trev.

hi it just maybe the sendor/sensor playing up or wiring connection between it and the gauge.

Cheers, Trev.

Hi Trev, I'm not sure exactly where it is located but pull the wire from connector on the temp sender unit and earth this wire to the chassis, ie a bare metal part of the car, the guage should go to full if not then the guage itself is faulty.

Owning a Carina previously you will be very rusty with car repairs ;) as they the most reliable model of car ever made in my opinion :yes:, my family and me have owned them in the past and they are bullit proof! I bought my Avensis on the back of this and even though I am happy with my car sadly they don't meet the same standard of reliability.

Regards Pete.

Cheers, Trev.

Hi Trev, I'm not sure exactly where it is located but pull the wire from connector on the temp sender unit and earth this wire to the chassis, ie a bare metal part of the car, the guage should go to full if not then the guage itself is faulty.

Owning a Carina previously you will be very rusty with car repairs ;) as they the most reliable model of car ever made in my opinion :yes:, my family and me have owned them in the past and they are bullit proof! I bought my Avensis on the back of this and even though I am happy with my car sadly they don't meet the same standard of reliability.

Regards Pete.

Yep i agree with the reliability such a shame it's dead. Thanks for all the replies i'll have a look at the wiring tomorrow.

Cheers, Trev.

Regards Pete.

Agreed - Carinas were very good cars - a good late model Bluebird would provide some stiff oppositions in the reliability stakes though. I would suspect that claimed improvements in modern car reliability relates more to the fact that makes like Ford and Fiat are a lot better then they used to be.

However the makes that were excellent in the past (1980s Audis, Mercs, Nissans and Toyotas) - are not as good now.

I would have thought a Mark 1 avensis with the old lean burn engines would be pretty good though

Red diesel

OK, not of much help, but one of the "improvements" manufacturers apply on their products is Product Lifetime Forecasting.

For instance, it's useless for an average mainstream car manufacturer to produce cars where, say, 98% are used for over 20 years, drive over 750.000 miles and never fail once.

Some 25 - 30 years ago, Toyota was trying hard to produce very reliable cars and set itself apart from other brands.

Some people say they finally achieved that standard with the Carina.

If that's what the human race wanted, Toyota would have built another couple of 100 million Carinas and would put itself and the rest of the car industry out of business.

Because everybody would have a Carina now and kept driving it, and it would never fail.

So, instead of making unbreakable cars, Toyota started to design their cars in such a way that by the time the average user is fed up with it, wants something new and can afford it, things are starting to become costly on the "old" car to keep it operational.

That's a double profit, because producing the cars becomes cheaper, and for sure customers will buy new cars quicker.

Product Lifetime Forecasting and Marketing are complicated but very intriguing sciences.

Not only Toyota practises it, all manufacturers do it and they spend fortunes on commercials to help people make the wrong choices.

I hope Toyota do what they promised and improve reliability.

I bought mine shortly after that promise...

So far, so good. :thumbsup:

OK, not of much help, but one of the "improvements" manufacturers apply on their products is Product Lifetime Forecasting.

For instance, it's useless for an average mainstream car manufacturer to produce cars where, say, 98% are used for over 20 years, drive over 750.000 miles and never fail once.

Some 25 - 30 years ago, Toyota was trying hard to produce very reliable cars and set itself apart from other brands.

If that's what the human race wanted, Toyota would have built another couple of 100 million Carinas and would put itself and the rest of the car industry out of business.

Because everybody would have a Carina now and kept driving it, and it would never fail.

So, instead of making unbreakable cars, Toyota started to design their cars in such a way that by the time the average user is fed up with it, wants something new and can afford it, things are starting to become costly on the "old" car to keep it operational.

That's a double profit, because producing the cars becomes cheaper, and for sure customers will buy new cars quicker.

Product Lifetime Forecasting and Marketing are complicated but very intriguing sciences.

Not only Toyota practises it, all manufacturers do it and they spend fortunes on commercials to help people make the wrong choices.

Hmmmmmm! I think I can feel a Hilux story coming on but maybe all the above doesn't apply to that vehicle .......... anyway, I wonder if they had a special factory to build the Carina and the Hilux . ;)

Ok that's just my little joke but they can continue to produce a good vehicle if they really want/need to.

How did we get here anyway as it all started with a faulty temp guage by trev3635 :unsure:.

Regards .... Pete.

Hmmmmmm! I think I can feel a Hilux story coming on but maybe all the above doesn't apply to that vehicle .......... anyway, I wonder if they had a special factory to build the Carina and the Hilux . ;)

Ok that's just my little joke but they can continue to produce a good vehicle if they really want/need to.

How did we get here anyway as it all started with a faulty temp guage by trev3635 :unsure:.

Regards .... Pete.

Sorry Pete my fault - lol

Red diesel