Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor Consumption

blowngasket

Hi all, new on here. I have a Avensis t4 d4d 2.2 diesel 150bhp on an 06 plate and the fuel consumption is pretty poor. I try and drive it as easily as poss and try to change gear no later than 2000 revs in each gear. Consumption, according to the on board comp fuel average is as low as 29 mpg and no better than 31 mpg. Most of my driving is around town but I did expect a bit more mpg than 29-31 mpg. Has any one else experienced the same prob ?. Ps, it has a full dealership service history. Cheers.

I had a brand new 2.2 tourer diesel auto on loan for a week in the summer and could not get much more than 35mpg according to the on board computer, mpg drops a bit in winter so does not sound out of the way for the driving you are doing.

First of its winter expect and chuffing cold so expect lower then normal mpg then. 2nd by your own admision your are town driving, that kills mpg.

Bet I can get town driving is about 32mpg and thats in a 2.2 T180 and drivinng like a saint. But your mpg doesnt sound that bad for town only driving in this car.

Best things I can sugguest is stop changing up at 2k run it up to 2.5-3k revs before changing up also try running around at 2.5k-3k revs helps keep the engine warm and working hard and cleaned out.

Of course you say dealer fsh but have you had the egr valve cleaned if not its worth getting it done. there a very good post in the auris forum about how to do it.

Thanks to everyone. Will try to clean the egr valve tomorrow. Fitted a new one once to a diesel Megane scenic and it was pretty easy. The one on my Avensis looks even easier to access. Cheers. :D

Hi all, cleaned the egr valve as caveman_si recommended, to be honest it was not that dirty. Has not improved mpg so maybe 29-31 mpg is normal for winter town driving. Noticed it does take quite some time to warm up and tick over is apx 1000 rpm till normal temp is reached and if air-con pump is used the tickover (till warm) is apx 1200 rpm. Don't know where the makers get their mpg figures from but you would have (in my opinion) to drive like a nun in the middle of summer to acheive them. This particular car was fitted with a brand new complete engine last September due to a known fault with the head gasket. The usual fix was to replace the head and a modified gasket (so I am told) at a cost of apx £3k. In this case the head cracked and the cylinders warped so the whole lump was replaced along with a new water pump and other bits at a total cost of over £4300. The car does drive as though it were brand new so this mileage issue is a bit of a mystery to me, unless as stated it is a normal mileage for town driving in the winter. Anyway, will plod on with it and maybe sell it. Anyone interested ?. Cheers.

Hi all, new on here. I have a Avensis t4 d4d 2.2 diesel 150bhp on an 06 plate and the fuel consumption is pretty poor. I try and drive it as easily as poss and try to change gear no later than 2000 revs in each gear. Consumption, according to the on board comp fuel average is as low as 29 mpg and no better than 31 mpg. Most of my driving is around town but I did expect a bit more mpg than 29-31 mpg. Has any one else experienced the same prob ?. Ps, it has a full dealership service history. Cheers.

Hi mate, there is something amiss somewhere as I get with the same car and these are true figures .... 60+ mpg motorway, 39 mpg all town driving and the average on my dash display right now is 45mpg, in summer this would be 47-48 mpg average. I do change gear between 2 to 2500 rpm giving it a good blast every now and then. I'm not defending Toyota in any way here but mine does "exactly what is says on the tin" so to speak.:yes:

I suggest you ask the Toyota dealer to test the injectors and make sure any ECU updates have been applied by them, if this doesn't get a result then I really can't understand it as the petrol engine version can give better figures.

Best regards .... Pete.

I suggest you ask the Toyota dealer to test the injectors and make sure any ECU updates have been applied by them, if this doesn't get a result then I really can't understand it as the petrol engine version can give better figures.

Best regards .... Pete.

Agreed, worst I've had from my petrol 1.8 this winter is 30.6mpg, and that was *all* town driving, with loads of time spent warming the engine from ambient temperatures of -10 degrees.

I'm sure the standard diesel must be able to do better than that!

OK Pete and thanks for your time/suggestion. Will take it to Main Stealers for a rip off £70 diagnostics check and post the outcome. Might have to wait till after xmas though as cash is a bit tight at the mo. Thanks again, Tony.

yep..... i got 2.2d 2007 and i get 50+ on the motorway and getting about 47 combined. Did reset the computer and did some town driving and was getting over 40mpg. Maybe the computer is out??

Hi richteex, how do you reset the comp ?. Regards.

Using the button on the steering wheel r/h side scroll though the menu until you are at average mpg ..... hold the button in for a few seconds and it will reset to zero, this applies to some others on the menu ;).

Pete.

New engine? Maybe it's still running in :lol:

Are you mostly using it for short journeys? If it's not even run in and it's not being given time to get up to operating temperature for a decent amount of time, that will affect the mpg.

• 4 weeks later...

I drive 55 reg Avensis tourer 2.2. Driving around London I only get between 24 and 29 mpg. Took it in a long trip this Christmas (motorway across Europe) and my best result was 45 mpg. The highest result by the way I had on bio diesel in Germany, using ultimate diesel from BP I had up to 43. I'm curious about a post about the version of ECU, is there an update that you can load on. Car is not serviced in mr T anymore as I got fed up with them over head gasket problem. I take it to local Bosh garage instead. Coming back to mpg's, I even tried installing one of those tuning chips which u plug into fuel rail, I have to say that it helped the mpg quite a bit (I was getting at least 32mpg). I stopped using it as ECU started coming up with "low fuel rail pressure" fault.

After my Christmas trip I don't think it's possible to get anywhere near 50 mpg in this car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links