Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dimming/ Flicking Headlights And Dash

Brad T Sport

I have a corolla t sport 2002 and have owned it for about 6 months now and every time I start it up I get Dimming/ flicking headlights and dash. It seems to me as a grounding/ earthing problem. Is there anyone who has had the same problem and managed to sort it?

sounds like the alternator kicking in, sounds normal enough to me.

you should notice this mainly at night, you should see your lights dim for a second, this is the alternator :thumbsup:

• Like 1

The alternator runs all the time, the dimming headlights is the air pump kickin in when first started, flickering is usually bad connection/earth somewhere.

Try disconnecting the air pump and then start from cold if it doesnt do it anymore its caused by the air pump kicking in and is normal on pfl tsports.

mine does exactly the same, and also when the traction control kicks in

dimming of the dash started for me last night for no reason. hard to see during the day with fog as the dash is dimmed with dipped headlights. any ideas?

sounds like the alternator kicking in, sounds normal enough to me.

you should notice this mainly at night, you should see your lights dim for a second, this is the alternator :thumbsup:

yeppers :)

My 2002 did the same :blink:

I heard there was an ECU update for it to fix the issue and yes related to the air pump as msprince said, i asked Toyota about it once and was presented with the usual bemused look.

dimming of the dash started for me last night for no reason. hard to see during the day with fog as the dash is dimmed with dipped headlights. any ideas?

you must have pressed the button by mistake or had the Battery disconnected????

i was disconnecting electric windows that must have been the reason. works great now. thanks alot man.

The lights flickering when trc kicks in is normal because the car uses the abs to control wheel lock up/slide while engine power is restricted so you cant keep full power going to the front wheels. While engine power is cut so is the amount of amps the alternator produces that most likely causes the flicker.

• 1 year later...

Was this fault ever resolved? I've just recently bought an '02 Corolla T Sport with the same issue.

Was it the ECU after all?