Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tappet Noise 1.8Vvti Avensis 2005

alan333

Hi,

My car has developed a noise when started from cold and for the first 5 mins or so before warming up. It's barely audible when idling (even at fast idle) but becomes very pronounced during acceleration - even light acceleration and at low revs. I'd describe it as a tappet ticking noise. I presume it's got hydraulic tappets so any idea if I'm looking at a new set or are there any other known causes I could be looking at before I strip it? It also did this a little last winter but went away when the weather warmed up. It's well looked after and has had oil & filter changes with good quality oil. It's an 05 plate 1.8 vvti manual with 74k on it, and it doesn't burn a drop of oil between services so I think it's post "new block required" manufacture date.

Any help much appreciated.

They arent hydraulic lifters, they are solid buckets (various different sizes available).

I'd take the cam cover off and check your cams/liftes for wear and check valve clearances before anything else (wont cost you anything then)

Mart.

Thanks for the input. I'll probably go with your suggestion and strip it first and do some measurements.

Regards Alan

Hi,

My car has developed a noise when started from cold and for the first 5 mins or so before warming up. It's barely audible when idling (even at fast idle) but becomes very pronounced during acceleration - even light acceleration and at low revs. I'd describe it as a tappet ticking noise. I presume it's got hydraulic tappets so any idea if I'm looking at a new set or are there any other known causes I could be looking at before I strip it? It also did this a little last winter but went away when the weather warmed up. It's well looked after and has had oil & filter changes with good quality oil. It's an 05 plate 1.8 vvti manual with 74k on it, and it doesn't burn a drop of oil between services so I think it's post "new block required" manufacture date.

Any help much appreciated.

I normally can't hear the engine that well on mine (stereo too loud!) but today for some reason I had the stereo off, and my car sounded tappety for the first couple of minutes. After that it was fine. So maybe it's normal?

Thanks for the further replies.

I've since found out that the tappets are to be checked at 60k miles so I guess mine is due as it's now at 74k. Maybe I'll leave it until spring.

• 3 weeks later...

A ticking noise is normal on the 2.0 VVTi due to the direct injection system that it has. However, I'm not sure if the 1.8 has direct injection, if it does then maybe that's the cause of your noise.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links