Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Steering

SidBurns

Evenin' all,

The last week or so, pretty much from the cold weather onwards, I have noticed a squeak from under the bonnet. I assumed it was the fan belt but I now don't think it is.

At very low speeds, leaving our drive in the morning for instance, the steering has mostly been quite stiff. It seems to almost warm up after a second or two though and the car is fine.

With this stiff steering and the whining noise, could the belt and/or the pump be going?

Cheers

Sid,

The steering pump is driven by the only belt on your engine.

Check this and look at the multi V's on the inside of it and if there are cracks showing this can be caused by old age or heat from slipping,if so its due for renewal.

A lot of peeps on here also recommend changing the tensioner pulley at the same time.

Del

Thanks Crofter,

Is it more liable to be the belt as opposed to the pump then you reckon? I assume we're still okay driving the thing!?! How much am I talking to fix? Just what I need coming up to Christmas!

Cheers

If you are able you can change it yourself.

Anchorman did a tutorial on this subject which,speaking for myself,was very useful when I did mine

After thinking(ouch)I realized it was a link to a page from the Toyota tech manual, perhaps if you ask nicely someone will have it and pass it on

Del

Sid, ive had the exact same problem with mine lately. i thought it was the fan belt too as didnt get the stiff steering until weather turned cold. however, i am told it is just the belt that needs changing so am getting it done next week, along with a service as no record of one being done since 20,000 miles ago!! Only bought the Rav in early November so still learning about them but i have a friendly and trustworthy local mechanic so relying on him to keep me safe. I dont think the belt change is especially expensive so shouldnt spoil your christmas!

Fo0r what its worth, I have only ever had problems with the belt. The original pump is still working on the car....16 years on.

Thanks god it's (liable to be) just the belt then, phew! :)

One other 'problem' as such. Went through a 18-24" puddle the other day due to the snow up here and the driver and passenger carpet are quite wet. Is this a something to worry about or just the norm? If just the norm, easiest way to try and dry the carpet?

Thanks to all who have replied, such a helpful bunch on here! :thumbsup: