Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Congestion Charge For Gen 2 Prius

Chris Dance

Just received a letter from the Transport for London giving details that the congestion charging for alternative fuel discount will expire on 24th Dec 2012.

This is for my gen 2 Prius. I do not know if this applies to the Gen 3 Prius.

The letter states the green fuel discount will only apply to vehicles that emit 100g/km of CO2.

I still think the congestion charge is a rip off.

Just received a letter from the Transport for London giving details that the congestion charging for alternative fuel discount will expire on 24th Dec 2012.

This is for my gen 2 Prius. I do not know if this applies to the Gen 3 Prius.

The letter states the green fuel discount will only apply to vehicles that emit 100g/km of CO2.

I still think the congestion charge is a rip off.

As I understand it, the gen 2 Prius will remain exempt until the end of 2012, provided that you register it by 24th December this year. Although I never drive into London when the charge is operating, I have just applied to register mine so that the vehicle will continue to qualify when I come to sell it. From 4th January 2011, all cars which emit 100g per km CO2 or less will now be exempt, so this won't affect the gen 3 Prius or the Auris HSD, which will continue to qualify.

Obviously the gen 2 Prius, which operates solely on electric power for much of the time below 31 mph, will emit vastly fewer hydrocarbons and particulates than any diesel emitting 99g per km CO2. I have written to TFL with that observation and await their response. Obviously it didn't make sense under the old rules that something like a huge Lexus RX 450h 4x4 should have been exempt, but to disqualify the gen 2 Prius is total nonsense. If enough of us complained, do you think they'd listen?

http://www.comcar.co.uk/newcar/companycar/news/2010/ccn00919.cfm

You're half right. It's all vehicles which emit below the 100g/km of CO2 AND meet Euro 5 emissions legislation (both petrol and diesel). The second part about meeting Euro 5 is important as many cars out there meet the below 100g/km but not the stricter Euro 5 side.

The gen3 Prius is OK, as is the Auris HSD but all the older hybrids don't meet it - including the gen2, the older gen1 and the even older imported Prii from Japan. Expect a big collapse in used values of these vehicles and a strengthening of residuals for the gen3.

I think it is a rediculous idea but was caused by much lobbying by Volvo who were upset that their low emission diesel car was continually excluded. I mean hey, don't worry that it produces way more (and I mean way more) pollution than even a gen 1 Prius as do virtually all diesel cars. So Londoners hate of the hybrid now means more and more diesel cars are going to be choking up your streets.

It appears Boris has mixed up CO2 emissions and the much nastier NOx and PM10 emissions that diesel produces. What's the point of introducing these new low emission buses if you're going to counter it by letting in more smoggy diesel cars?

Personally I don't care as I never go to London - nasty smelly place. I remeber being hit by the smell whilst driving in the dark to Dover and wondering what on earth it was, about 5 mins later I came to the Queen Elizabeth bridge and realised the smell was fumes from London. Nice :wacko:

The gen3 Prius is OK, as is the Auris HSD but all the older hybrids don't meet it - including the gen2, the older gen1 and the even older imported Prii from Japan. Expect a big collapse in used values of these vehicles and a strengthening of residuals for the gen3.

I don't predict any big collapse in values whatsoever, and neither will it strengthen the value of the gen 3 because a vast array of other petrol and diesel vehicles are now going to qualify, which didn't before (see link), so the gen 3 has a lot more competition. As stated, the gen 2 will continue to qualify until 2013, for those of us wise enough to have registered them. I am registering mine so's that someone who may be looking for an exempt vehicle when I sell mine next year, may consider buying my car as it would still qualify for a while, I honestly don't think it'll make it worth any more (or indeed any less if I didn't bother). By 2013, the gen 2 will have already been out of production for four years, so my 2009 model (for example) wouldn't be worth very much anyway.

The link provides the list of 97 models which will now qualify, and many more are on the way!

http://www.comcar.co.uk/newcar/companycar/poolresults/100co2.cfm

I don't predict any big collapse in values whatsoever, and neither will it strengthen the value of the gen 3 because a vast array of other petrol and diesel vehicles are now going to qualify, which didn't before (see link), so the gen 3 has a lot more competition. As stated, the gen 2 will continue to qualify until 2013, for those of us wise enough to have registered them. I am registering mine so's that someone who may be looking for an exempt vehicle when I sell mine next year, may consider buying my car as it would still qualify for a while, I honestly don't think it'll make it worth any more (or indeed any less if I didn't bother). By 2013, the gen 2 will have already been out of production for four years, so my 2009 model (for example) wouldn't be worth very much anyway.

The link provides the list of 97 models which will now qualify, and many more are on the way!

http://www.comcar.co.uk/newcar/companycar/poolresults/100co2.cfm

>"...I am registering mine so's that someone who may be looking for an exempt vehicle when I sell mine next year, may consider buying my car as it would still qualify for a while,..."

Hi,

Sorry to say but the note from Transport of London clearly states: "...if the vehicle is sold during this period, the new keeper would not be eligible for the alternative fuel discount."

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links