Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1990 Previa 2.4 Automatic

chillihippy

can anyone help? i have a 1990 previa 2.4 automatic that doesnt want to retain its transmition fluid, i think its the input shaft seal, but i cant find any information on these gearboxes nor a haynes manual to see how i go about removing the gearbox to repair the problem, this is the only fault i have with the car, mind you i have only owned it for two weeks. ant help would be greatly appreciated, the leek appears to be between the engine and gearbox xxx

• Like 1

I'm sorry I can't help. Haven't had this problem - although do have a leaking rocker cover gasket. These engines are heavy lumps so take care.

you wont get a haynes and the engine manual doesnt describe the gearbox - best bet if its not already fixed is to speak to bob at rcmvr.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

scan of Transmission Servicing.rtfscan of Transmission Servicing.rtf

can anyone help? i have a 1990 previa 2.4 automatic that doesnt want to retain its transmition fluid, i think its the input shaft seal, but i cant find any information on these gearboxes nor a haynes manual to see how i go about removing the gearbox to repair the problem, this is the only fault i have with the car, mind you i have only owned it for two weeks. ant help would be greatly appreciated, the leek appears to be between the engine and gearbox xxx

I have scanned in the attached information on Transmission Servicing , don't know if it will be of help, also copied it below only diagram included does not show up but should be in the attachment.

1991-94 TRANSMISSION SERVICING

Toyota Automatic Transmission Removal & Installation

Previa AUTOMATIC

WARNING: On models equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), SRS must be disabled before repairs are started. Turn ignition switch to LOCK position and disconnect negative

Battery cable and wait at least 90 seconds. Back-up power

supply maintains SRS activation voltage for about 90 seconds after Battery is disconnected. See AIR BAG RESTRAINT SYSTEM article under ACCESSORIES & EQUIPMENT. Refer to the following menu:

* 1992 Previa, see: AIR BAG RESTRAINT SYSTEM *1993 Previa, see: AIR BAG RESTRAINT SYSTEM *1994 Previa, see: AIR BAG RESTRAINT SYSTEM

Removal & Installation

1) Disconnect negative Battery cable. Wait at least 90

seconds before starting work to prevent air bag deployment. Remove dipstick. Remove throttle cable clamp and disconnect throttle cable. Raise vehicle. Remove filler tube. On 4WD, remove front drive shaft.

2) On both models, remove shift control cables. On 2WD, remove starter. On 4WD, remove starter and front drive shaft bracket. On both models, remove stiffener plates. Remove torque converter cover. Remove torque converter bolts.

3) Remove oil cooler tubes. Remove exhaust pipe bracket. On 2WD, remove drive shaft. On 4WD, remove rear drive shaft. Raise transmission. Remove rear engine mount bolts.

4) Remove remaining transmission bolts and pull out transmission. To install, reverse removal procedure. The torque converter is properly installed when 1.250" (31.75 mm) of space exists between torque converter drive lugs and front surface of bellhousing. See Fig. 1. Tighten torque converter bolts to specification. Refer to

the TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS table.

81G03228

Fig. 1: Measuring Torque Converter Depth (Typical)

TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS TABLE

Application

Ft. Lbs. (N.m)

Cooler Lines 25 (34)

Drive Shaft Bracket Bolt 41 (56)

Exhaust Pipe Bracket

Exhaust Side 32 (43)

Transmission Side 37 (51)

Front Drive Shaft 31 (42)

Rear Drive Shaft 54 (73)

Starter Bolt 30 (41)

Stiffener Plate Bolt 27 (37)

Torque Converter-To-Drive Plate Bolt 30 (41)

Transmission-To-Engine Bolt 53 (72)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links