Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Connecting A Smartphone In The T4

Seamaster73

Quick question for T4 owners.

If I connect a smartphone such as an iPhone via bluetooth to make and receive calls, can I simultaneously have it connected via the aux-in socket in the arm rest to play music through the stereo?

What happens when a call comes in? Is it clever enough to mute the aux-in and switch to bluetooth and back again when the call is completed?

(I appreciate the T Spirit with its bluetooth audio interface makes this more straightforward.)

I have a Gen3 T Spirit and an iPhone. I paired the iPhone with the Prius and it works as both a hands free phone and a music player over the bluetooth connection. why would you want to connect your iPhone using a wire connection just to play music. If an inbound telephone call is received whilst you are listening to music the phone call takes priority and it gets to use the speaker system.

Why would you want to connect your iPhone using a wire connection just to play music.

Two reasons:

1. Because it's the only way in the T4 which, unlike the T-Spirit, does not support audio streaming (A2DP) over bluetooth.

2. Because aux-in is always better quality than bluetooth streaming (I've read on Priuschat of many American T-Spirit-equivalent owners choosing not to use bluetooth for this purpose, even though it is available to them, and using aux-in instead).

• 1 month later...

Quick question for T4 owners. If I connect a smartphone such as an iPhone via bluetooth to make and receive calls, can I simultaneously have it connected via the aux-in socket in the arm rest to play music through the stereo? What happens when a call comes in? Is it clever enough to mute the aux-in and switch to bluetooth and back again when the call is completed? (I appreciate the T Spirit with its bluetooth audio interface makes this more straightforward.)

Just in case anyone does a search for this — I can confirm that this is doable with the iPhone. Incoming/outgoing voicecalls interrupt the music playing via the aux-in, which is paused, and are routed via bluetooth to the Prius handsfree. At the end of the call the music resumes automatically. Perfect. :thumbsup:

Quick question for T4 owners. If I connect a smartphone such as an iPhone via bluetooth to make and receive calls, can I simultaneously have it connected via the aux-in socket in the arm rest to play music through the stereo? What happens when a call comes in? Is it clever enough to mute the aux-in and switch to bluetooth and back again when the call is completed? (I appreciate the T Spirit with its bluetooth audio interface makes this more straightforward.)

Just in case anyone does a search for this — I can confirm that this is doable with the iPhone. Incoming/outgoing voicecalls interrupt the music playing via the aux-in, which is paused, and are routed via bluetooth to the Prius handsfree. At the end of the call the music resumes automatically. Perfect. :thumbsup:

As it is an Aux-in line, how does it pause the music? (I can understand muting the line, but with the iPhone player continuing to play, but I've not come across being able to pause via the Aux-in and I wonder how it works?)

As it is an Aux-in line, how does it pause the music? (I can understand muting the line, but with the iPhone player continuing to play, but I've not come across being able to pause via the Aux-in and I wonder how it works?)

I guess that happens within the iPhone OS ...

Good to know though ... Might make the extra £200 for the iPod kit a bit more palatable !!

Jon

This is all handled by the iPhone. The iPhone's iPod application is playing the music (aux). When a call is received or made, the iPod app pauses, and the iPhone switches to the Phone application (Bluetooth). When the call ends, the iPhone switches back to the iPod application and the track resumes playing.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links