Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Rear Brakes

WattyBluesman

Hi Guys, Can I convert the rear drums brakes to discs on my 2000 1.8 Avensis estate ? If so what do I need from the breakers if poss ? WattyBluesman. B)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Best to post this in the Avensis section, although I am interested in why you would want to make this swap.... the front brakes do most of the braking unless you intend driving at speed in reverse gear (I come from Fife and know hoe eccentric people there are ! ) :lol: :lol:

As the drum brakes have a different travel distance you may also have to find a suitable master cylimder. Then there's the ABS system and sensors to consider plus hnadbrake, etc, etc, etc,

Any particular reason you want to change them on the first place.:)

I've just got the Avensis a couple of months ago I just think the handbrake seems to have a dead feel.

I also own a 2002 Carolla 1.6 ( wives car ) with disc brakes on the rear and it is really positive.:rolleyes:

does the handbrake not work a set of brake shoes within the bell of the disc??

Cheaper investing in an anchor - one of which you could acquire for free from Anstruther Harbour :lol:

if you go to the breakers and get the rear setup from an avensis of the same age, cant remember which spec it was now off hand,they were fitted with rear discs. you will need the hubs, discs, callipers and ABS sensors.

these will bolt straight on. no need to change the master cylinder as they were the same :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...