Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent Failure To Start

gavinalan

Hi, I have an intermittent fault on my 59 plate (new model)Avensis 2.0 diesel T2. When I turn the key to start the engine the speedo lights up as normal but nothing happens when I complete the key turn. Trying again makes no difference. If I get out, lock then unlock the car using the remote, then try again, the car (so far) has started. Locking and unlocking from the driver's seat doesn't do it. I took it to the supplying dealer who could find no fault (not surprising with an intermittent fault). Has anyone any experience of this or ideas of what to do next?

Make sure to fully depress the clutch pedal (= to the bottom)

If you don't, there is a microswitch on the pedal mechanism that prevents starting the engine, or even activating the starter.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't, there is a microswitch on the pedal mechanism that prevents starting the engine, or even activating the starter.

Thanks for this suggestion - sounds a likely cause. Not sure that it's a useful gadget as I always start in neutral with the clutch depressed (but perhaps not all the way!)

Thanks for that, Thermal, it sounds highly likely that I haven't been fully depressing the clutch on all occasions. But it also sounds like an unnecessary complication, one more thing to go wrong (like the electric parking brake!)

Thanks again, Gavin

...sounds like an unnecessary complication, one more thing to go wrong...

Really?

Ask my neighbour's wife. While parked in front of her garage, she managed to ruine the garage door... twice.

Her car doesn't have this feature. :crybaby: