Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Led Taillights

eddieinvader

Hi guys anyone using LED stop/tail and reverse and indicator bulbs, if so has anyone had to use the resistors with them for them to work or do they work ok on their own.

Thanks.

Hi guys anyone using LED stop/tail and reverse and indicator bulbs, if so has anyone had to use the resistors with them for them to work or do they work ok on their own.

Thanks.

Hi,

Well was just looking at some in the shop yesterday and wondered how effective they will be in a conventional light cluster.

Not sure what you mean about the resistors ? do they ones you have seen come with separate resistors ? - a bulb, be it filament or led should plug straight in to 12v and work.

Multiple Leds can sometimes be arranged so they are connected without any need for resistors, or the Leds can have resistors built into them before they are assembled as complete bulbs.

You can buy LEDs from shops like Maplins, they come as basic leds or the types with built in resistors to run directly from 5 volts or 12 volts.

Thanks.

Hi,

Well was just looking at some in the shop yesterday and wondered how effective they will be in a conventional light cluster.

Not sure what you mean about the resistors ? do they ones you have seen come with separate resistors ? - a bulb, be it filament or led should plug straight in to 12v and work.

Multiple Leds can sometimes be arranged so they are connected without any need for resistors, or the Leds can have resistors built into them before they are assembled as complete bulbs.

You can buy LEDs from shops like Maplins, they come as basic leds or the types with built in resistors to run directly from 5 volts or 12 volts.

Hi I have been looking at the mentioned bulbs on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200390534656&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT thing is it says on the add might need a resistor (DUE TO THE REDUCED RESISTANCE IN LED bulbs CERTAIN CARS MAY REQUIRE A RESISTOR TO BE INSTALLED WHICH WILL THEN ALLOW THE BULBS TO SIMULATE THE SAME RESISTANCE AS YOUR STANDARD FILAMENT BULBS) so I am not sure what they are getting at as when I enquired about this from the seller they could not tell me where to get this resistor as they do not sell them :huh:

Hi I have been looking at the mentioned bulbs on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200390534656&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT thing is it says on the add might need a resistor (DUE TO THE REDUCED RESISTANCE IN LED BULBS CERTAIN CARS MAY REQUIRE A RESISTOR TO BE INSTALLED WHICH WILL THEN ALLOW THE BULBS TO SIMULATE THE SAME RESISTANCE AS YOUR STANDARD FILAMENT BULBS) so I am not sure what they are getting at as when I enquired about this from the seller they could not tell me where to get this resistor as they do not sell them :huh:

Cars with bulb monitoring systems (which tell you whether your bulbs are working on not) use the resistance of particular bulbs to tell whether or not they are working. If you replace the traditional bulb with an LED bulb, the resistance on the circuit will be different and the car will think the bulb has blown or has some other fault. You therefore need to add resistors to the LED to take the circuit resistance back up to what the car expects a traditional bulb to have. If the Corolla does not have such a system, you don't need the resistors.

I tried running LED bulbs before and it was an absolute nightmare, so I've given up.

The first problem was that the indicators DO require load resistors and I really couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

The second was that when I fitted the stop&tail bulb it was so dim that you could barely see it!

and Thirdly I couldn't get the stop and tail light bulb in the drivers side to even go in.

I could have been just unlucky I dunno?

But I can't be ubikd with the hassle atm.

If you do go ahead then for the indicators you could just change the bulbs to a phillips silver, then you don't have to worry about load resistors :)

I tried this no point at all. It drove me nuts !!

Basically yes you need resistors.....and you need alot of them. One for each bulb you change, We dont have bulb malfunction lights we have worse!!

When there is a malfunction on the rear lights THERES A CONSTANT BEEP BEEP like our seatbelt!!

It happens when you press the brake.

So you need resistor and another thing mine fitted all well and good indicators worked as normal but because of the malfunction everytime i pressed the brake the beep came back.

Even the reverse bulbs only caused the malfunction, The reverse look amazing, proper nice white light on both sides.

The biggest no no is....all the other bulbs are pointless to do they are not bright at all! i had the jam packed 24led ones and they were less brighter than original bulbs.

I did it drove me bonkers.......especially when i changed them all over at the side of the road....and found that i couldnt find one original reverse bulb....so everytime i used the brake it kept beeping....there were tailbacks that day aswell.

I did it drove me bonkers.......especially when i changed them all over at the side of the road....and found that i couldnt find one original reverse bulb....so everytime i used the brake it kept beeping....there were tailbacks that day aswell.

:lol: Sounds like I should give this a miss then :lol:

i've got LED stop/tail lights on my corolla, bought them off eBay and fitted them straight on, didnt have no problems what so ever so im guessing if you can find the right ones they should do the job and shouldnt be too expensive, the output is that they are brighter and sharper which puts a smile on my face :)

can you link us to the seller as so many of them are a hit and miss i had bulbs bought from loads of different sellers and i kept getting the annoying bulb out beep!

let me know how they work! i wasted around 30 quid trying im not about to lose a fiver again LOL

No problem, I have put my order in :lol:

they worked for me, hope they do the same for you

wish you all the best :thumbsup:

Nothing ventured :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Just had these back and they work O.K. but as mentioned they don't look as bright as a normal bulb.

What it is they are as bright to look at but the spread of light is not as much it does not seem to fill from top to bottom of the cluster it is a lot more central, you see more of just the round led.

Can't decide if I like it or not yet :lol:

Also had the led's for the rear number plate looks much better.

Update.

I do like them, in the night they are ample, they light up nicely. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links