Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre, Wierd Problem

wardude

Hey all

got a 06 T180 with the runflats. The light on the dash came on earlier and when I checked the back ns tyre was on 23 psi. My other half said she heard a hissing last night when she got home and walked past the car. Anyway took wheel off and cant see any nails etc in the tyre. Pumped it up 2 hours ago and so far its stayed up!!! Any idea what could have caused this? Only thing that came to my mind was that its sat for 3 days and it was on uneven ice so each wheel was uneven. Maybe this could have put pressue on one wheel and its leaked from the rim. Any ideas????

Also has anyone found a way to disable the rft light on the dash yet

all best

shaun

Try a small bit of sticky black tape over the offending area of the dash.....

well, you did say anyone !!

It is possible for the beads to leak then stop when they are reinflated but you are making the assumption that the hissing was from the wheel and the tyre hasn't been leaking for some time!

the tyre has been inflated and lost no air for a year. Then my missus hears hissing. Tells me, i go and have a look and find the rear ns tyre has lost 10 psi and the run flat warning light is on. I reinflated it and its ok again. Hasnt lost any air at all. i dont understand why it should have been hissing and lost air in the first place as there is no puncture. Any idea??

Shaun....here's one I had personal experience of only very recently on a Fiesta...make sure all the balance weights on your ALLOY wheels are STICK-ON TYPE.

If you have any that are the hammer on type, and the fitter chappy missed the weight and tapped the sealing rim of yer alloy, prey hesto, you have a source of leakage if he's chipped it. Now my own theory allied to this....what about alloys contracting in the cold with a different coefficient to the rubber attached thereto ? Rubbish as usual...?

As a matter of interest, Kwik Fit Fitter I spoke to tells me they are suddenly fixing 10-15 of these hammered on to alloy weight punctures per week now.

Big Scientist :yahoo:

cheers for that Kev, I had a look and they are stick on weights. I thought maybe some water had froze on the edge of the wheel/tyre and expanded a bit causing a leak!! Just a thought but its very strange how for a year its held its pressure no prob, then loses 12 psi or so and no more. Pumped back up and its all fine again now. It hasnt been let down by kids etc as its on private land in ther middle of nowhere. i dunno, Gremlins maybe. Just annoying as everytime I go to the car now im expecting the !Removed! run flat light to come on

cheers for that Kev, I had a look and they are stick on weights. I thought maybe some water had froze on the edge of the wheel/tyre and expanded a bit causing a leak!! Just a thought but its very strange how for a year its held its pressure no prob, then loses 12 psi or so and no more. Pumped back up and its all fine again now. It hasnt been let down by kids etc as its on private land in ther middle of nowhere. i dunno, Gremlins maybe. Just annoying as everytime I go to the car now im expecting the !Removed! run flat light to come on

Is possible that ( current weather and all that ) you or your other half kerbed the tyre? that has the potential to cause a partial deflation and leak that sealed again when the tyre was restored to it's proper pressure. You may not even know that it had happened with all the snow and frozen slush about. I have to admit to clipping the exit to a roundabout the other day - just looked like snow - but it wasn't! :blushing:

thats a possibilty Chris aswe have loads of solid snow around here. i guessill just have to keep an eye on it and hope it doesnt happen again

I had a similar issues with my wifes Seat Ibiza during last years snow and ice. The tyre went flat took it to local tyre place and couldn't find puncture, would be fine for a couple of days and then it would go flat again. It turned out to be a loose inner tyre valve, it needed maybe a 1/16th of a turn to tighten. No problems since.