Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Insurance Costs Rocketing Or What!

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi Guys

Just been using those price comparison websites as advised by the money saving expert website...and omg has my premium gone up...with all my years no claims discount...i paid £350 last year on my 06 1.6 SR hatch group 6 and its coming up at £650 for this coming year! Im wondering how much 1.4 and 1.8 rolla owners are paying? I know its silly to try and compare our quotes as its all dependant on age, where its kept, postcode etc...but still...its crazy! Any ideas how to obtain a cheaper quote? And keep it legal boys lol!

Sammy

I'm currently paying £400 for my CTS.... hope that's not gonna go up too much when it's due for renewal!

Renewed mine 2 months back and had it for £300.00 the company I was with wanted £550.00 for renewal, I went to Aviva and got it for the £300.00 :yes:

It's funny; I'm with esure atm but was getting quotes for £700+ (!!!) on the various comparison sites whereas I last paid £500-something.

When my esure quote came in tho', it was still slightly lower than what I'd paid before so I stuck with them.

There does seem to be a lot of variability...

I will say tho' that if you're not liking the quotes and have the time, take the best 5 and play them off against each other. eSure aren't so good for this as they didn't seem keen on haggling to reduce the premium aside from upping the voluntary excess (boo!), but other companies have a lot more flexibility.

One other annoying thing is my old trick of sticking older/longer no-claims relatives as named drivers on the policy to get it down doesn't seem to work anymore either! :(

They do say that all the snow we had in Feb played havoc with insurance claims and the companies having to pay out so much! plus the recent stuff. so its hitting us pretty bad cuz we are footing the bill for that, not only that but the whole world seems to be going money grabbing mad!... i am dreading my renewal.

HELL YEA.........not many people know this but i was looking to buy a new R32......or get a GTI edition 30........

Audi S3 - 4400

Leon Cupra R - 4400

Then i thought wait lets try the R32....

Lets try the GTI ED30 - 4400

LETS TRY JUST A NORMAL GTI COUGH 197BHP......

Ok times are hard.....why is this happening to me is it because im 21, im insured on a t-sport though for 1300 fully comp!

Civic Type R EP3 - 3800

Didnt bother even trying an integra

i wouldnt ever buy a compressor but i thought well....might aswell check - 3200

I then thought ok so looks like i will be keeping the t-sport!

so i requoted on my car - 1600........

About 300.00 per year :censor: .I'm 42,married with kids.Live in a crime free area in South Devon and drive 5000 miles a year in a 1.4 Corolla which is 10 years old.Never,ever made a claim in 25 years driving and still my premium goes up year after year :ffs:

£2200 for my 2003 toyota corolla 1.4 as a named driver :censor:

then again i did the insurance when i was 17 so it isnt that bad isit?

what will happen to me next year?

traders policies are the way forward people. have i found the one and only instance where people in bradford are ahead of the rest of the uk? lol...

(no i'm not from bradford but i go to uni there and literally the whole city drivers on trader policies, multiple cars multiple drivers with only 1 premium)

1400€ on a 1.4, first insurance. 20yrs old. other companies wanted from 1900- 3200 :D

I paid £350 last year on a multi-car discount, which wasn't bad considering I had an accident claiming £1500 the year before.

I just compared the meerkat and got a quote of £530 from admiral (the same company I am with now) and considering that's without a multi car discount it's not too bad.

gonna speak to the ol' man tonight and see how much it'll be with the multi-car, cos I gotta renew in feb! :(

Thanks guys for taking the time out...im on the hunt again with a few more comparison websites...then i can bounce em off one another to try and get it down like someone suggested earlier! See how it goes. Sammy

Thanks guys for taking the time out...im on the hunt again with a few more comparison websites...then i can bounce em off one another to try and get it down like someone suggested earlier! See how it goes. Sammy

Consider phoning the ones that are not on the price comp sites like Aviva I did and saved over £250.00 as they were doing 12 months for the price of 10.

A broker mate told me that because so many people are using these price comp sites and not going to individual companies they have cottoned on to it and raised their premiums that way aswell. :thumbsup:

Aviva, NFU, and the good old broker in the High Street like Swinton who have a £40 cashback promo code running at the moment ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

I'm with Adrian Flux. Just renewed my policy last month and it's come down from £660 to £640 fully comp. And I live in what I would say is quite a high crime rate area....

and another thing about comparison sites, sometimes i find they are inaccurate and give you wild prices. best thing to do is spend a morning ringing around the larger companies, that will give you a ball park figure of how much you'll have to pay roughly

from there you can bounce them off each other or go to your high street broker see how much they want. my previous insurance (i renewed in sept) price comparison sites wanted over £2000, but a few phone calls got it for £1500 with LV, saving £500 just by not trusting the websites

remember everytime someone buys insurance through the comparison site, the insurance company pays them a referall fee for bringing that customer in, can you guess where the insurance company passes the referall cost to?

Lets see, 28 with 5 years no claims.

Fully comp + legal protection and another driver, works out about £500 per year for the CTS with no points on my licence. I think the excess is pretty high though, about £200.

Thats with sainsbury's who are esure brokers i believe. I can get it cheaper, but some of these cheaper ones like swift dont seem to be as front facing and i'd prefer to speak to someone if I had an accident to make sure they cough up.

2005 1.4 T3 Corolla, renewed in October for £193 fully comp.

@eddie - Very good tip! I'll have to remember that next year...

When I first used the price comparison sites the quotes were pretty good, but they're just getting silly now and I think you're right that there's some collusion going on... :ffs:

@CorollaD4D - I've never even heard of a Trader's policy? What is it? How does it work??

@clangnuts - I hate you!!!!!!! :P

to be fair its only useful for either having multiple drivers on multiple cars or single driver who needs to drive multiple cars. works basically you pay one premium and under the policy you get to drive anycar upto a certain engine size or anycar for your business use things like that.

works out cheap say my dad, my mum, me and my brother all have a car each. lets say we pay £1000 per year per car for insurance that's $4000 per year we're paying for insurnace. whereas with traders policy or fleet policy (forget which) my dad would take the policy out and put me, my brother and mum onto it as named drivers and pay £2000 for the policy and we'd all be insured to drive each others cars as well as our own.

What I find best is if you use the price comparison sites (confused, compare the meerkat etc) as a guide then contact the company directly as in my experience they tend to have "wiggle room" on the phone, and direct line matched a quote for me once and chucked in free road side assistance. :)

Alternatively after finding the cheapest quote on a price comparison website visit the insurers site through a cashback website (such as quidco) as you can get some pretty nice sums of money back.

Last year I had an MOT done at nationwide auto-centres and got £50 cashback through quidco!

A few years ago I got £100 cashback for my insurance with elephant.

Both using quidco.

Also consider multicar discounts if there are other cars in your household, that way you can split the costs with your nearest and dearest.

That's how I've done it this year, we have 4 cars at our house (dad's M3, mum's BMW 630, sister fiesta and my rolla) all on admiral and me and dad with accident, and sister being a new driver, guess how much for all 4? No word of a lie - £1500. That's £350 each, and we got cashback!

There's some pretty nice deals to be had if you know where to look.

What's the best way to set up the multi-car stuff? All our cars renewal dates are at different times of the year. The only way I can see it working is we'd have to cancel one half-way through and basically have them steal our money :censor:

Well there are two ways you can go about doing it (as far as I can tell)

1 - they way we did it.

One person needs to start the policy, in my case it was my mum, whose policy ran out in Feb.

She found admiral were the cheapest for her Beemer 630 as they wanted £500 for her, so she accepted. (and went through quidco to get £50 cashback!) next my sister passed her test in april (ish) so after getting loads of quotes £1077 from endsleigh was looking the best, however my step mum called admiral and they said to add her car to our insurance policy would be and extra £300!! so that's what we did :)

The following week my dad cancelled his insurance and started with admiral, the cost? and extra £400 (for an M3!) june rolled on and I switched over HOWEVER when I joined I opted to have my insurance run out in feb when my mums policy ends, the reason for this was that I would get a years no claims for only 7 months insurance and it was nearly £200 cheaper than the full year! :thumbsup:

Both my dad's policy and sisters policy run out after a full year and still qualify for the multi-car discount.

All we did is pay our own cost when we added the car to the policy, so mum paid £500, dad paid £400, sis paid £300, I paid £350, So all in all a bit of saving for each of us.

2 - bit of a hassle involved here.

What you could do is get someone to start the policy (say yourself for arguments sake) and then get the rest of your family to cancel their insurance policies and switch over to the new provider for discounts (lets say admiral).

Most insurance companies will refund you the remaining balance of the insurance policy, lets say for example your dad has 6 months left on a £1000 policy so they refund £500ish. This would however mean he would have a new insurance start/end date with admiral, so if he budgets for his insurance then he would need to re-organise himself.

Another thing to be aware of is that for cancelling a policy some, if not most insurance providers charge an "admin" fee, which can cost between £5 and £20.

Also it's important to check that by using multi-car you will actually make a saving, as in some instances it may not work out any/much cheaper.

Always read the small print too, multi-car policies generally mean that if anyone claims it affects EVERYONES no claims, and they often cannot be paid in instalments.

I know this seems a lot of work, but believe me if you're willing to put work into finding the cheapest deals on the rewards can be substantial.

check out the moneysavingexpert website too, lots of useful info on there.

I know this seems a lot of work, but believe me if you're willing to put work into finding the cheapest deals on the rewards can be substantial.

check out the moneysavingexpert website too, lots of useful info on there.

definitely agree - insurnace is one of those things takes time to find a good deal, if you rush it you usually get ripped off

..., but some of these cheaper ones like swift dont seem to be as front facing and i'd prefer to speak to someone if I had an accident to make sure they cough up.

I was with Swift.... until i mentioned my mods then they refused point blank to insure me and cancelled my policy from midnight that day!!

Changed to Adrian Flux, declared all my mods and saved £50 of Swift's price thumbsup.gif

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links