Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Pressure D4D

techie

Hi,

I own a 2002 Avensis D4D with 104000 miles on clock. During the last few days I have noticed that when you start the car from cold the oil pressure light is slow to extinguish. This has not been the case before now. It has been very cold recently but even then it was not noticeable. I let the car idle for 10 to 20 seconds and then the light goes out. On subsequent starts when the engine is not cold it is fine. I changed the oil (5W-40) and filter to eliminate them as a cause but the symptons remain the same.

Any suggestions on what to do next would be appreciated.

Regards,

Techie.

Hi,

I own a 2002 Avensis D4D with 104000 miles on clock. During the last few days I have noticed that when you start the car from cold the oil pressure light is slow to extinguish. This has not been the case before now. It has been very cold recently but even then it was not noticeable. I let the car idle for 10 to 20 seconds and then the light goes out. On subsequent starts when the engine is not cold it is fine. I changed the oil (5W-40) and filter to eliminate them as a cause but the symptons remain the same.

Regards,

Techie.

Hi mate, when the weather and engine is cold your oil pressure should be higher but if the screen on the bottom of the oil pick up pipe which feeds the oil pump is getting blocked the thick cold oil in the sump will find it harder to get to the oil pump. Unfortunately this is not an easy one to solve without taking the sump off and cleaning the screen, you could try flushing oil but I am not a big fan off this method (just my opinion). As suggested by Davyonthemove you could try a lighter grade oil as this may help, it could also just be a faulty oil pressure switch which sends the signal to the oil light. I don't think there is anything too serious at the moment but keep an eye on it in case it gets worse but if you are still worried replacing the oil pressure switch with an oil pressure guage adapter would show you exactly what pressure you have in the system when cold and when hot, I keep one in my tool kit but not many mechanics bother these days.

Regards .... Pete.

Hi,

Regards,

Techie.

Hi mate, when the weather and engine is cold your oil pressure should be higher but if the screen on the bottom of the oil pick up pipe which feeds the oil pump is getting blocked the thick cold oil in the sump will find it harder to get to the oil pump. Unfortunately this is not an easy one to solve without taking the sump off and cleaning the screen, you could try flushing oil but I am not a big fan off this method (just my opinion). As suggested by Davyonthemove you could try a lighter grade oil as this may help, it could also just be a faulty oil pressure switch which sends the signal to the oil light. I don't think there is anything too serious at the moment but keep an eye on it in case it gets worse but if you are still worried replacing the oil pressure switch with an oil pressure guage adapter would show you exactly what pressure you have in the system when cold and when hot, I keep one in my tool kit but not many mechanics bother these days.

Regards .... Pete.

hi pete (namesake)

my oil pressure gauge is hanging up in the garage with i/8 bsp and 1/8 npt adaptors.havent used it since about !986.

modern engine oil pressure readings have changed since i worked on engines.there was a time the oil press control valve would keep the press constant at 30/40/50 or whatever.but now later engine press vary with revs.i went to fit a press gauge to td jetta (new) and found when warmed up i was getting 15 psi,and a max of 25 psi when revved up.

had a word with the forman at the local vw dealer whom i knew well,and he said there all like that and thats why oil press gauges are not fotted even on the GT models not many cars have press gauges these days.on my 1.6 auris vvti it says on the toyota tec site that the the oil press hot at tickover should be a min of 3.6 psi and at 3000 revs it should be 22-80 psi.3.6 seems very low to me. its a wonder that hydrodynamics works in bearing lubrication and not run a bearing out. i fitted a oil temp gauge instead to the jetta.surprising how high the oil temp goes when towing a caravan.

I agree with what you are saying and this is a polite reply.:thumbsup:.

I am old school but what would you suggest to help Techie find out just what his cars oil pressure is during that first 20 seconds and also even after the oil light goes out. As an engine man myself I would want to get to the bottom of this for piece of mind, hence the reason Techie asked for help in the first place I would have thought.

Regards Pete.

I agree with what you are saying and this is a polite reply.:thumbsup:.

I am old school but what would you suggest to help Techie find out just what his cars oil pressure is during that first 20 seconds and also even after the oil light goes out. As an engine man myself I would want to get to the bottom of this for piece of mind, hence the reason Techie asked for help in the first place I would have thought.

Regards Pete.

though techie is using 5w-40 and idealy it should be 5w-30 this doesnt explainn the slow pressure build up.

his engine has a good mileage on it.as you posted he needs to have a test gauge on it.

what ever the pressure is, note has to be taken how quick (or slow) its getting to it.if the needle on the gauge rises to whatever the pressure it is quickly the the problem is the pressure switch.but this sounds an unusuel fault.

if its still slow then possible oil pump/pressure relief valve.when his oil warning light goes out after the 10 seconds the engine has reached its operating temp,so what happens when its fully warmed up and the oil has thinned out.he has not said if the warning shows (flickers)when tickingover.the there is the chance a partly blcked strainer in the pick up pipe to the oil pump restricting the oil whilst cold but not to the same extent when oil hot.

toyota in the USA had a problem with sludge build in the cylinder heads draining doen and blocking the strainers and starving the oil pump,causing mains/bigend failure.if techie is not a diy man then he needs someone to check it out for him.

i dont suppose he has got a test gauge himself.

Hi,

Regards,

Techie.

Regards .... Pete.

Thanks Pete

Have a pressure switch ordered, hopefully will solve the problem

Regards

Techie

• 2 weeks later...

Changed oil pressure sensor, but problem remained the same. Then took off sump and found oil strainer to be a little dirty. Took strainer off, cleaned then reinstalled. That seems to have solved the problem.

Thanks for all inputs,

Techie.