Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Indicator Not Noisy Enough

Hartside

We both love the Yaris TR we bought a few weekends ago, but the one thing I'm not keen on is the lack of indicator noise when it's activated. Not the first time the self cancelling on the indicator hasn't worked and I've driven a few hundred yards before I've noticed the indicator is still flashing. Is everyones like this? Is there any simple mod that can be made to make it noisier?

We both love the Yaris TR we bought a few weekends ago, but the one thing I'm not keen on is the lack of indicator noise when it's activated. Not the first time the self cancelling on the indicator hasn't worked and I've driven a few hundred yards before I've noticed the indicator is still flashing. Is everyones like this? Is there any simple mod that can be made to make it noisier?

there has been several post the the lack of volume of indicator buzzer.was told by local toyota dealer theres nothing can be done.some are louder than others.

on my auris i fitted another buzzer (louder).you can do a seach on the auris forum for it.it was a while ago.

Many motorcycle accessory shops should be able to supply you with a buzzer that you wire into the system, and get a loud beep or buzz as the indicator flashes. I guess these should be loud enough as on a bike, you would be wearing a helmet and have much more road noise to contend with. :thumbsup:

Hartside, I agree, the combination of weak self canceling and the quiet sound has caught me out a couple of times.

I'm going to get a look at the indicator relay when weather permits to see if it can be replaced with this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Indicator-Flasher-Relay-Unit-Built-Audio-Buzzer-/220673989235?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item336131da73

Many motorcycle accessory shops should be able to supply you with a buzzer that you wire into the system, and get a loud beep or buzz as the indicator flashes. I guess these should be loud enough as on a bike, you would be wearing a helmet and have much more road noise to contend with. :thumbsup:

dont go for a m/cycle one as this will be an overkill and much to noisey.the one on eBay maybe a better choice and if thats also too loud you can wrap something around it to reduce the volume to suit.

pity you cant get an adjustable volume ones.

Trust us - if you haven't got a later model Yaris with the "silent" indicators yourself, you don't appreciate the issue.

I've spent 33 years driving all sorts of vehicles and have always cursed the ineptitude of other motorists who are unobservant enough to leave their indicators on - and in the two years we've had this Yaris, I've done it myself two or three times and been mortified when I realised.

The lights on the dash aren't that bright and are out of your normal line of sight - so unless you're actually looking deliberately at the instrument panel, they're easy to miss too and with the radio on or simply when driving at motorway speeds, you just can't hear any noise from the flasher unit...

Still - if that's the biggest issue with the Yaris, I can live with it....

dont go for a m/cycle one as this will be an overkill and much to noisey.the one on eBay maybe a better choice and if thats also too loud you can wrap something around it to reduce the volume to suit.

Reasonable point.... BUT if it is stashed away in the dash somewhere or in the engine compartment, the sound will soon be "Lost" among the engine, road and stereo noise! On the bike, they will be placed in such a manner as to be heard with the helmet on!

how about the flashing light on the dash?

yes but if your manoeuvering in traffic your watching the road, not dash lights.thats what the audible ia all about.

Reasonable point.... BUT if it is stashed away in the dash somewhere or in the engine compartment, the sound will soon be "Lost" among the engine, road and stereo noise! On the bike, they will be placed in such a manner as to be heard with the helmet on!

normal running it does not matter where you hide it you will hear (been there,done it)wrapping up in something does help.as for sterio noise,those idiots who have everything at full volume (which is illegal)so anyone in 500 mtrs can hear them,would need a motor bike type.yes road noise wiil vary so a compromise has to be found between able to hear and jumping out of your seat when indicator turned on.

As alfiejts said they are not in the line of sight, but offset to the centre of the car and as such don't catch your eye. I'm in the habit of double checking now, but I'm worried my wife won't see it when she's driving and just want to take the precaution. It's a small niggle on a great little car!

As alfiejts said they are not in the line of sight, but offset to the centre of the car and as such don't catch your eye. I'm in the habit of double checking now, but I'm worried my wife won't see it when she's driving and just want to take the precaution. It's a small niggle on a great little car!

i know what you mean.as you see my car is a auris and had the same problem.decided to fit a louder one.didnt want a harsh sounding one.so searched and found what i thought i wanted.original one fitted at back of dash and couldnt reach it.so decided to fit new one in parallel.took feed from wiring at bottom of door under plastic trim.feed for both sides on near side.then fed cables up behind dash.sound a bit harsh,but can hear it,gran kids say it sounds like a car alarm.had a rethink.the wife hyundais door open/lights on warning is a nice chiming note think, that could do it.rang hyundai and this chiming relay is £80. so said no thank you.went local scrappy got it for £5.oo including pair of horns (original one is a joke) will fit these when weather is better.

as i said earlier volume seems to be down to luck with ome.

I'm going to get a look at the indicator relay when weather permits to see if it can be replaced with this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Indicator-Flasher-Relay-Unit-Built-Audio-Buzzer-/220673989235?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item336131da73

Has anyone fitted this particular relay, to a Mk2 Yaris. = (Link as above) = if so, - does it simply replace the original that's plugged into the relay box, - or does it require a bypass rewire? - and is it an Improvement? = or to loud? ------------ Thanks.

• 1 year later...

My experience of this - the fitted Toyota relay is proprietary and hard to get at. Generic flasher relays won't fit.

Getting at the wiring to wire various "extras" in is fairly easy - there is a plug on the circuit board behind the glovebox.

I have tried buzzers - cheap to buy from Maplin - didn't like them.

Also tried extra LEDs in "line of sight" - not bright enough in sunshine, also you can miss them if traffic very heavy.

Then I got a couple of matched 12v car relays, 1 per side. Fitted them inside dash just behind steering wheel, they sound at the same time as the fitted Toyota relay and give a "normal sounding" "indicators on" noise at normal volume.

Going to do a little more work to see if the self cancelling is weak on the LHS - always seems to be LH ind that stays on, never RH. What do others think?

Paul

Then I got a couple of matched 12v car relays, 1 per side. Fitted them inside dash just behind steering wheel, they sound at the same time as the fitted Toyota relay and give a "normal sounding" "indicators on" noise at normal volume.

In fact one relay could do this - wire it between the RH & LH flashers. It will 'ground' through the non-flashing lamps.

This problem with "indicator" sound is not only common to the Yaris, it,s been flagged up on both the Urban cruiser and Rav4 forums in the past. It,s a pain in the a***e.

Regards Clare

This problem with "indicator" sound is not only common to the Yaris, it,s been flagged up on both the Urban cruiser and Rav4 forums in the past. It,s a pain in the a***e.

Regards Clare

Toyota seem to have listened as the noise is much louder on the new Yaris.

• 1 month later...

I am a little hard of hearing, and the low level of noise is a safety issue to me , I would like more data on the relays you used and how indentify the correct wires to break into. The wires to the rear indicators are red and black, would adding a buzzer to these over load the wiring or fuses? My car is a Yaris Tspirt 998ccs 2011

Any help welcomed

Ray

Yes it certainly is louder in the new Yaris, I hadn't really thought of the indicator being quiet in the old Yaris, until I heard how loud it is now in the new one