Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ta22 Rally Replica

celica fan

:help: hi just found this forum, i have been looking for some thing like this for a while. I own a 1976 ta22, it was my first car(purchased 1984)I have restored it twice in 20 yrs, it currently sits in my garage in pieces again :lol: what i want to do is to fit a modern 16 vale 2litre engine and modify the body to look like an original works car, i intend to use it for navigation rallys, has anyone got any info especially pictures of works cars, and what toyota engine will work best. cheers. I'm in N.I :thumbsup:

Sounds like a great plan to me :D :D

Im after a SR20DET.

No pics though... although i know of a guy who raced 22's back in the 70's and 80's on track. Im sure there's gotta be old brundle shots etc

cheers four TA22's lined up waiting for the 1975 RAC rally, hog heaven or what. Love the bullet style mirrors, what chance do I have of getting a front spoiler and arches, suppose mk2 bubble arches could be made to fit. What model has the sr20det engine. I lost interest in anything made after 1980. what suspension, brakes do you run?

Thats two Celicas and two Corollas.

I've posted three more RAC pictures in the Misc. Gallery pages 112 & 113. The first is the Anderson/Phillips car from 72 or 73, the second is another from 75 whilst the third is an RA20 (not TA22 as I called it) from 76.

I have original TRD fibreglass arches for 22/23/28s along with front and rear spoilers. If there's enough interest I will make some reproductions this June/July. The only problem with the arches is that there's plenty of room under there already, so you need 7"- 8" wheels just to fill them!

Marcus

cheers four TA22's lined up waiting for the 1975 RAC rally, hog heaven or what. Love the bullet style mirrors, what chance do I have of getting a front spoiler and arches, suppose mk2 bubble arches could be made to fit. What model has the sr20det engine. I lost interest in anything made after 1980. what suspension, brakes do you run?

Nissan S13 and S14 200sx (intercooler mounted in wing).

Nissan sunny GTI-R (intercooler mounted on top of engine) and has a 4wd Gbox

I havnt done the conversion yet, but will hopefully start fairly soon

No s**t thats a reliable 200hp through the rear wheels bound to be fun. How much for wings and both spoilers. I had always planned on Minilights although 7inch wheels would leave the steering a bit heavy, I have only drove the car for 2 out of the last 20yrs, understeer was always a problem, bigger front tyres will help but what do you guy recommend as the ultimate set up. :hokus-pokus:

I've no idea on price yet, but if I can't produce them at a price people will pay I'll be wasting my time, so it won't be silly. And yes I am looking at reproducing wings and other panels as well as arches and spoilers.

The easiest way to cure the understeer problem is to uprate the springs to the max - ie the car doesn't move, let alone bounce, when you lean on the wing! It should make the car very uncomfortable to drive, but it doesn't - the ride is firm but very acceptable and understeer comes in much later on hard cornering. Add adjustable shocks to the rear, renew the rear axle bushes and it will work very well with stock or near-stock engines.

Next route is to fit AE86 front struts, which gives you vented discs as well - you just need to swap the top plates, the rest fits right in.

If you intend to run serious bhp, AE86 brakes won't do - MA61 Celica Supra struts will fit, but you will need to adapt bottom arms and control rods.

replacing the !Removed! awful steering with a rack also helps considerably - Mk2 Cavaliers area very close fit although again if you're running huge rubber, you may need something stronger.

You are bound to be able to get a rear spoiler as it appears to be a fairly straight forward piece of kit. I like the idea of a set of flaired arches with a rear spoiler, can you supply or know of a supplier for arches and rear spoiler. I plan on coil overs at the front, I already have adjustable shocks on the rear. thanks for the help.

Apparantly ajustable strut tops are the best thing for the understeer, put some Neg camber on the car!!

f you intend to run serious bhp, AE86 brakes won't do - MA61 Celica Supra struts will fit, but you will need to adapt bottom arms and control rods.

Ive never herd of that Marcus, how easily is it to modd them? I guess their are places out their to do them... what kind of adaptions have to be made to the arms and rods?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links