Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Presure Sensor Warning Pesky Light.

rav4man123

Yes - I was quoted £125 for sensor + £40 fitting + VAT on all that.

At some point, may be around the 7 year mark, the batteries will die and all 4 sensors will be looking to be replaced.

All to tell you one of your tyres has lost significant pressure. It tells you this an hour after it happens, and it won't tell you which one. You wonder if some department at Toyota devises these cunning systems to eke out the money from your pocket?

Need MonitorLizard to find out whether disabling the light is by software, hardware, or black tape over the light!

As much as I hate these things, but I believe it does tell you immediately, if not very soon after losing pressure. I know mine did when I had a pucture. However, it does take it an hour to tell you there is a fault, or that the sensors are completely missing!! I think it took mine an hour and 10 mins into a long journey to tell me. I beleive if you kept to journeys less than an hour, it will never tell you there is a problem with your sensors?

Also, has anyone actually driven a car on the BSR with the tyre deflated. I can tell you that you do not need a light to tell you that you have a flat tyre. It was literally like driving on a solid steel tyre. You felt every bump of the road!!

LOL - there are two threads running almost simultaneously on this.

I think I said somewhere else - they are probably there for environmental reasons (good tyre pressure = good mpg = lower emissions) and not safety reasons, hence why they take soooo long to come on.

Edit: okay, I see from sywy that pressure loss is indicated almost immediately, but TPWS system faults take time to report?

I'm banking on what an American forum said. I have a snow set of wheels, and my OEMs in a Keter outdoor storage box, and I park up against it. According to the Americans, the system will get the info from the nearby sensors and switch off the light (but I'm wondering how long it would take for the ECU to ask for the info - could be 5-10 minutes!?).

But then I'm hoping that less than hourly runs will keep it off when away from the storage box.

I suppose if you don't have another set of wheels, you could put the sensors in the wheelbarrow tyre and keep it in a storage box or in a garage?

I read on another toyota forum (it wasnt a Rav) but the computer gadget ecu thingy for the TPMS was behind the glovebox and easy to get to. You just unplugged it. It was even marked as the TPMS.

I read on another toyota forum (it wasnt a Rav) but the computer gadget ecu thingy for the TPMS was behind the glovebox and easy to get to. You just unplugged it. It was even marked as the TPMS.

I know i put up the other thread about making a bomb (slightly tongue in cheek) but i did seriously look at this problem + in my search I did find that ONLY the Rav does NOT have a reset button for the TPMS all other models do, :thumbsup: Stew

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links