Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's This Panel For?

Only Me

I have recently purchased a 3 year old Auris. I am curious to know about something on the bodywork - on each side of the car, there is a panel, about the size of a postcard, cut along the diagonal. One piece is on the rear corner of the rear door, the other half is on the mudguard, in such a way that the postcard sized rectangle is re-formed. Any ideas what this may be for? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Are these clear plastic? If so they are stoneguards - designed to protect the paintwork in vulnerable areas from stone chipping. We've had them on several cars - e.g Nissan Micra, Nissan Primera, Toyota Corolla, etc.

Are these clear plastic? If so they are stoneguards - designed to protect the paintwork in vulnerable areas from stone chipping. We've had them on several cars - e.g Nissan Micra, Nissan Primera, Toyota Corolla, etc.

Hi FROSTYBALLS

Thanks for your prompt reply. No they are not plastic, they are thin metal painted the same colour as the body. Your idea seems likely, but unlike your experience this is the first car I have owned that has had them.

I think frosty is right. They are either clear plastic or clear plastic painted to match the body... If they curve into the door opening slightly on the rear wheel arch then that is indeed what they are... :thumbsup:

I think frosty is right. They are either clear plastic or clear plastic painted to match the body... If they curve into the door opening slightly on the rear wheel arch then that is indeed what they are... :thumbsup:

Spot on :thumbsup: i think " only me " is referring to the stone chip guards at the base of the picture .

IMGP1141-Copy-1.jpg

Spot on :thumbsup: i think " only me " is referring to the stone chip guards at the base of the picture .

IMGP1141-Copy-1.jpg

Thank you everyone - that's cleared up a mystery. The photo looks exactly the same as mine, even down to the colour! You're all stars!!