Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Consumption On 2.0 Petrol

bestseany

Does anybody here have a petrol 2.0 Avensis that uses oil between oil changes?

I know the 1.8 had issues but my 2004 2.0 seems to use a little between changes and I'm wondering whether it's normal.

So far it's dropped from max on the dipstick down to just over half way between min and max in about 4000 miles.

I have the 2 litre engine and it does not use a drop :)

i am being poite here.

the question was not if your car used oil or not,but if earlier oil consumption problems had been sorted in his build.

ive only had a toyota since march,so not able give as good advice as others.i only thought that some have had a new short engine fitted when owners have had engines using more than i ltre per thousand miles.so if a new short engine sorts the problem,then when these modifications put in the production models.that is the question.

can anyone help him.

i am being poite here.

the question was not if your car used oil or not,but if earlier oil consumption problems had been sorted in his build.

ive only had a toyota since march,so not able give as good advice as others.i only thought that some have had a new short engine fitted when owners have had engines using more than i ltre per thousand miles.so if a new short engine sorts the problem,then when these modifications put in the production models.that is the question.

can anyone help him.

I am being polite here but Besteany asked this question....

Does anybody here have a petrol 2.0 Avensis that uses oil between oil changes?....

hence my reply :yes:

If yours is a 2009 car then I'm assuming it's the newer model of Avensis? I didn't think that the 2.0 litre was the same as mine.

If yours is a 2009 car then I'm assuming it's the newer model of Avensis? I didn't think that the 2.0 litre was the same as mine.

It might be as this engine has now been discontinued :ffs:

• 1 month later...

My 2004 2.0 vvti is using 0.5ltr/1000 miles. My dealer is topping up every 3 weeks (1000 miles) and only charging for oil. Once it reaches the magical 1.0ltr/1000 miles they will put a claim through for a new engine.

The car has done 103k and is under extended warranty until April 2012. The problem was initially noticed at 97k when the oil warning light came on. The engine needed 2.7 ltrs to top up.

How much is 'a bit'? Engines will burn oil at different rates depending on how they are treated. My bike burns loads if I cane it but nothing in normal use. Ultimately if you are only using about 0.5l or so then I wouldn't worry. Are you sure it is being burned cos it might be leaking somewhere and such small quantities over a relatively long distance may be tricky to pick up. What do your spark plugs tell you about burning oil?

My 2004 2.0 vvti is using 0.5ltr/1000 miles. My dealer is topping up every 3 weeks (1000 miles) and only charging for oil. Once it reaches the magical 1.0ltr/1000 miles they will put a claim through for a new engine.

The car has done 103k and is under extended warranty until April 2012. The problem was initially noticed at 97k when the oil warning light came on. The engine needed 2.7 ltrs to top up.

Is the oil consumption getting worse quickly? I'm going through about a litre every 4k miles in mine. I don't have a warranty on mine though, and I'm sure the Toyota extended warranty for the oil consumption problems is only for the 1.8.

How much is 'a bit'? Engines will burn oil at different rates depending on how they are treated. My bike burns loads if I cane it but nothing in normal use. Ultimately if you are only using about 0.5l or so then I wouldn't worry. Are you sure it is being burned cos it might be leaking somewhere and such small quantities over a relatively long distance may be tricky to pick up. What do your spark plugs tell you about burning oil?

I do about 80% motorway driving and have a 25 miles commute each day with mine, but I usually drive fairly sensibly, no high revving etc.

I changed the spark plugs a few thousand miles ago and they looked ok, bit carbonised.

I never knew I had a problem until the oil warning light came on at 97250. 2.7ltrs to fill to max on dipstick.

At the current rate of 0.5lt/1000 miles I would expect the warning light to come on at 5.5k since last service. Obviously I now keep a very close watch on the oil level.

So I'm guessing that dropping from Max to about halfway on the dipstick is using about 0.75l so its not too dramatic but is definitely worth keeping an eye on it. Monitor it and see what happens. If the consumption stays the same then it may be simplest (and chepaest) to just live with it. If consumption starts to increase then you may have to Shell out some cash to get it fixed.

Mine is a 2.0 2005 auto T4 petrol. Doesn't seem to get through any oil whatsoever.

thats made him feel a lot better.

My 2005 2.0lt auto which has done 55k does not use any additional oil between its annual service..

most helpfull

My 2005 2.0lt auto which has done 55k does not use any additional oil between its annual service..

most helpfull

acetip, the guy asked if anyone's car used oil, I replied that mine didn't so at least he now knows it is not the norm, and if you want to be sarcastic there is only one 'l' in helpful..

I had a 2000 2.0 vvti, and it used loads of oil.

Had to put in around 0.5-1 litre every other week.

Was on 132000 when I sold it, emissions and performance were OK so I just put up with it.

most helpfull

acetip, the guy asked if anyone's car used oil, I replied that mine didn't so at least he now knows it is not the norm, and if you want to be sarcastic there is only one 'l' in helpful..

your correct, he asked if anyones car used oil,not does anyones car NOT use oil.

my spelling is as bad as your reading.

but saying that, i was harsh, and i am sorry.

most helpfull

nick

i am not taking sides on this subject,but i think i understand what acetip is getting at.

if someone posts on here that he is a problem with his car,be it engine,gearbox,brakes or oil consumption and he gets a reply from another owner of a simuler model to his, saying they dont have the same problem,then thats no help to him at all.

he knows idealy his car as in this case should be using too much oil,so a reply as you have given could almost be taken for a boast that your car is better than his (i know you did not mean to) which would not cheer up an unhappy owner,

ive only been using toc for a short while but ive noticed others answering owners cries for help with, i dont have that problem,which i find negative.

hope you dont take offence,but thats how i see it.

Hmmm... seems that some do use oil and some don't then. I suppose some of it depends on how often/well the car's been serviced.

I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on mine and if it gets bad I'll just get rid and buy a Honda.

it seems pot luck luck.if you remove the servicing and how the car is treated element,how your oil consumption is.

toyota were supposed sorted this problem by redesign of the pistons and rings.

but the problem still comes up, even in vehicles with the later engines.

is it a toyota engine build quality control problem?,

for a while now,most makers state that if your car does not use more than 1ltr of oil per 1 thousand miles then they dont consider this a problem.

anyone buying a new car,having it serviced correctly,not thrashing it for the first few thousand miles,not letting warm up by letting it tickover,not sticking their foot down till the engine is up to temp, would be very disappointed in finding their engine using anything like 1tr of oil per thousand miles.

this just a cop out by the makerss.

if you buy s/hand,and all the sevices have been carried out.you can inspect the car as much as you like,road test it as much as you like,and be very happy to purchase it.but you wont know if its using too much oil.but once you

brought, even with a nice big fat warranty your going unhappy if you find the engine using,what i call too much oil.

people will tell you that modern engine use more oil than earlier ones,which i dont beleave,a ltr of oil is a lot of oil.

I agree, 1 litre per 1000 miles is definitely excessive. I was trying to judge whether 250ml per 1000 miles (which mine is doing) was considered acceptable, which I think it is as long as it doesn't get worse.

Modern cars can use more oil than older cars simply by design.