Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 2.2 Sr 180

Sticks72

Hi guys, im new here so if you are reading this greetings!

My problem is i have just bought a 180 SR Auris after wanting something quick and econmical and reliable

i bought an 08 with 15k on the clock absolutely mint my problems are as follows:

I have had the car 2 months and it is very sluggish off the mark the 0-60 figures seem way off

pulling away from a junction quickly is impossible 1,2,3 gears she lags the torque just isnt there?

in 4,5,6 pulls really well steering is very light and seats are crap which i should have realised when testing

but can live with this

my biggest problem is,i drive with my baby daughter in the back on the motorway at 70 mph and get 28 ....YES 28 mpg

as you can imagine after watching Quentin Wilson big this model up so much all i want to do is chin the fat mess!!

if i drive like a boy racer and flog the t*ts off it i get around 21-24mpg if i drive like a priest 28-31

i say 31 because i achieved that by driving 12 miles behind a bus at 45mph in 6th

I have been informed to take it back as warranty is still valid but just want to get some feedback off you guys before

i go back so i am at least armed with some facts and knowledge about this model as everything i researched upto now

seems to be a massive contradiction.I also have a 09 passat tdi 140 auto which has miles more torque although

not quicker in 4th for over taking the auris is awesome in that situation but the mpg is shocking

my passat gives 45mpg if i beans it and 55-60 if driven normally

Obviously buying the hot (warm) model i dont expect the guide figures of 47mpg to be right but i would have thought driving calmly ie: with the wife and baby

onboard i would expect at least 35-40 but this car gets nwhere near i got on the range finder after putting £40 of diesel in 170 miles

i should have bought a focus ST or maybe even a 4.0 litre Jag lol!

All of your thoughts and help on this matter would be greatly recieved many thanks in advance and all the best to you all,Sticks.

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

I have recently bought the same car with the same mileage and age as yours, and the first thing i did was to clean the EGR and reset the ECU.

As the car learns your driving style you should see an improvement over the first tank after a reset as the previous owner may have just driven it on short journeys and not got the car running properly.

The EGR is a common problem on most diesels as they clog up quickly, so a clean up should help with the low power issues.

Also i would try to get the car on a good long run and keep the speed to about 65 in 5th for a few miles. This should rais the temp enough to force an EGR regeneration and hopefully clear out the soot. This might help MPG as the car could be doing short burns more frequently if the filter is clogged from previous owners driving style.

If none of that helps then get it to a dealers and ask if the ECU update has been done as this may help.

I'm currently seeing 40+ mpg over most tankfuls and my current reading is 47.4 over 180 miles, so these cars can achieve the book figures.

Hi thanks for reply i did try to reply so if i am repeating myself , i apologise.

I have no idea what the ecu and egr are?

but if what you are saying will turn my pig into a hamster i think

a trip back to the dealer is deffo in order i need to be hitting similar figures

So i should ask them to reset the ecu

clean the egr

and hopefully this will sove it?

im gutted because the car had been serviced by toyota 2 weeks before i bought it

so hoped it would be tip top i hate going back,lets just see if there promises

in their sales pitch are backed up

thanks again mate will let you know how i get on.

if toyota serviced your car 2 weeks before you bought it from them they probably serviced it under there ownership , so i doubt they did everything by the book,as they knew they were selling it on,saving themselves a few quid

Hi thanks for reply i did try to reply so if i am repeating myself , i apologise.

a trip back to the dealer is deffo in order i need to be hitting similar figures

clean the egr

im gutted because the car had been serviced by toyota 2 weeks before i bought it

The ECU is the cars 'brain'. It learns your driving style and adapts the fuelling etc to match that style, so if the previous owner drove in a different manner to you then it will have adapted to that learning curve.

You can reset the ECU yourself by simply removing the Earth (black) terminal from the Battery for aprox 20 mins.

This will proompt your ECU to 'forget' the current driving style and learn again.

Before you do this, have a quick look through the handbook to ensure you know how to set the time and date, and reset the 'one touch' driver side window. These are not hard to do if you follow the instructions.

The EGR is a valve on the engine that is designed to recirculate exhaust gas in order to keep emissions low, but the design is usually more hassle than they are worth and they clog up easily.

Rick has posted a link to his DIY guide for removing and cleaning the valve. I have followed it myself and it was very useful. The job itself is not hard and well worth the time and effort in order to keep the EGR clean and the engine running at its best.

I would try both of these ideas before going back to the dealer, as they can be done at home and cost you nothing/very little and can be done at a time that suits you instead of hoping a dealer will do it when you want them to.

if toyota serviced your car 2 weeks before you bought it from them they probably serviced it under there ownership , so i doubt they did everything by the book,as they knew they were selling it on,saving themselves a few quid

Although this might be the case, not all dealers cut corners on servicing.

I would expect a car under 3 years old in Toyota's care to be serviced as expected as its cheaper than forking out for new parts and labour on a car with warranty left.

And even if it did only receive a stamp and not a service, it would be very hard to prove and the stamp is all that is needed to prove that the dealer have done the work they claim to have, so the warranty would cover any issues.

clean the egr

when i brought my auris it had 19600 miles on it and was told that it had been given its 20000 service before being offersd for sale, book stamped,but salesman could not produce service sheets (lost).

otherwise could not fault the car.so brought it.when i got home put in ramp and expected to see nice shiny oil filter as car only covered 36 miles in dry weather, since it was suppose to have been changed.it was covered in road grime, so was area around drain plug.couldnt prove anything so no point in complaining.whilst on ramp did oil and filters change and a good check over.cars still running fine.checked at loacal toyota dealers,and their data base shows car has had 20000 mile service.so beware of turners toyota bury-st-edmunds sales staff.dont blame workshop staff as if they are not given the car to sevice, they cant do it.

Thanks very much fellas,i think i have just woke up in lapland so will not be attempthing diy until i can get out for a decent run after i have tried your tips to see if were back in biz.Acetip just out of curiosity whats your mpg round town,A roads and on the m/way? cheers Sticks all the best.

Thanks very much fellas,i think i have just woke up in lapland so will not be attempthing diy until i can get out for a decent run after i have tried your tips to see if were back in biz.Acetip just out of curiosity whats your mpg round town,A roads and on the m/way? cheers Sticks all the best.

most of my driving is on B roads here in norfolk since retiring lots of bends and not much straights, ive worked out an average 38/40 mpg.duel carriage work mixed in its about 42mpg.but readout shows 45 mpg,bit optomistic.

dont do the mileage i used to.use wifes car for short runs,shops etc.have started using FUELY but will take a long time to get a reliable average.as said brought car in march last,at 19600 miles now only done 23300.

Wow thats still a vast improvement on my feeble 24-28 EVERYWHERE! Will take it up to cumbria after i clean the egr and give it a good run

to see how she fares,and you guys deffo recomend resetting the ecu as ive heard on a long run at speeds under 100mph the ecu will reset itself?

thanks chaps.

Wow thats still a vast improvement on my feeble 24-28 EVERYWHERE! Will take it up to cumbria after i clean the egr and give it a good run

to see how she fares,and you guys deffo recomend resetting the ecu as ive heard on a long run at speeds under 100mph the ecu will reset itself?

thanks chaps.

had many cars,last one was a mondeo st,smashing car and did not have problems that some have had,but ride not as comfortable as the mondeo ghia before or auris now.down to low profile tyres and stiffer suspension.

you find when having a car like the st everyone wants to pass you,even them on motor scooters,

i found myself being very competetive and frightening the wife.she didnt like me going on duel carriege ways with it.

at my advanced age it was getting silly.so the st had to go.the auris has not got a lot of the extras the mondeos had but when the warranty is out i will do afew mods.the auris is more suited to someone my age just being a i.6.

i did not want another diesel,for the low mileage i now do,what with the weak points like EGR/DMF/DPF.

cant crawl under car just for fun like in my younger days.training myself to drive nice and steady now.though always diven smoothly even when shifting.talking about ageing find myself being a bit like VICTOR MELDEW a bit grumpy thats

not realy me.i can make a joke out of nothing (wife complains).ive found myself posting remarks on forums that afterwards ive thought why did i do that.i did not use to do things like that.have to have a new years resolution to stop and think before posing anything that may upset any innocent paarty.

i think i will brave the cold in the garage and have a !Removed! and stare at the spotless car.using the wifes in this weather would not want to get the auris dirty.

thanks chaps.

had many cars,last one was a mondeo st,smashing car and did not have problems that some have had,but ride not as comfortable as the mondeo ghia before or auris now.down to low profile tyres and stiffer suspension.

you find when having a car like the st everyone wants to pass you,even them on motor scooters,

i found myself being very competetive and frightening the wife.she didnt like me going on duel carriege ways with it.

at my advanced age it was getting silly.so the st had to go.the auris has not got a lot of the extras the mondeos had but when the warranty is out i will do afew mods.the auris is more suited to someone my age just being a i.6.

i did not want another diesel,for the low mileage i now do,what with the weak points like EGR/DMF/DPF.

cant crawl under car just for fun like in my younger days.training myself to drive nice and steady now.though always diven smoothly even when shifting.talking about ageing find myself being a bit like VICTOR MELDEW a bit grumpy thats

not realy me.i can make a joke out of nothing (wife complains).ive found myself posting remarks on forums that afterwards ive thought why did i do that.i did not use to do things like that.have to have a new years resolution to stop and think before posing anything that may upset any innocent paarty.

i think i will brave the cold in the garage and have a !Removed! and stare at the spotless car.using the wifes in this weather would not want to get the auris dirty.

Made me smile on a cold snowy day :thumbsup:

Hi guys, a quick update, took the egr valve off ,clean as a whistle decided to go to dealer,they tried software update but was already done when serviced before i purchased it,concerning resetting ecu,was told its a learning ecu which doesnt require resetting as after half hour driving it resets itself to my style of driving which sounds flaky to me.The manager said it was one of the best he had driven no sluggishness,i asked how come a citroen c5 2.0 hdi left me standing at the lights?Blank look! Was told to expect 30-35mpg which i replied if i was getting that i would be happy but 21mpg come on!!!

i refered to my new toyota forum club pals that were getting over 40 and just got the usual smirk also told them when the weather gets cold the alarm goes off was told his does too!!! Am i supposed to just get up at 4am every morning to switch it off??

Outcome a brim test they fill her up go for a drive check how much to re fill and work out mpg from that!

(Note to self,make note of mileage before handing over and request reciept for before and after tank fills ;-)

Any Takers??

I was confident the egr would solve and was gutted to see it clean :(

Even after the service manager had taken her for a spin he only got 22.5mpg

She may have to go chaps.

Temp's + EGR + NOX fuel mix = low mpg.

Try Shell diesel, get the engine up to temp, take it on the m-way, reset the MPG and report back what you get on a steady m-way run at 70mph.

I remember when i had my T180 last year in the cold winter being disappointed on a couple of occasions with cold weather MPG. It was simple a case of heat. The engine isn't very heat efficient because of the aggressive EGR/NOX cycle. Nox burns a lot cooler than air and therefore more fuel is required to create the same amount of power.

EGR is instantly activated after engine switch on and once the coolant has reached about 15dC. It stays active from about 600RPM to circa 2,600 RPM. Therefore EGR is likely to be returning NOX gasses into the cylinders for the whole period of warm up and beyond. In winter this takes a lot longer because of the ambient temps, also winter diesel has anti-gelling agents for the UK market down to about -20 which reduces the calorific energy per unit. Essentially meaning you cannot extract the same amount of power per unit of fuel, so more fuel is needed to create the same amount of power, NOX burns colder on ignition so the lengthy warm up process can often mean a very inefficient burn cycle and v.poor MPG. However, either way, once warm, reset on m-way and see what you get.

Still, at < 12dC and > 22dC you won't achieve your maximum economy possible.

Biggest tip which is what i did a lot of is coasting off the accelerator, this disables the EGR and of course uses no fuel. Takes a certain type of driver. Light throttle inputs also have an affect, the throttle sensor also determines the activated of the EGR. My driving style is very specific. Even in my current car, 335d. Once warm, i use aggressive throttle, up to about 3-3.5k in the T180 to get up to speed quickly, this disables the EGR. Then i coast whilst i maintain the speed and blip the throttle to maintain road speed. Using gradients to keep speed. I would coast long before a junction, often only a minor adjustment downwards in speed but a massive gain in MPG and EGR deletion.

Overall i had no issues achieve 40+ MPG, it's a taught driving style and i'm certainly not a slow driver. In my 335d i'm also easily achieve 40mpg + per tank. I find the biggest gains in diesels using this driving style. My petrol MPG doesn't see such drastic differences between me and my wife.

Thanks for the advice mate,ive decide the wife can keep it as she only does about 4 miles a day ill use the passat and ill be looking to trade it for a audi A3 tdi overall a very disapointing car we all make mistakes Toyota was mine.

No probs, the toyota is in a league of it's own on nox emissions filtering. Unfortunately, the league isn't a very desirable place to be sometimes.

Why toyota decided to develop record low levels of nox when it's not regulated to that level is beyond me. I think it's the typical toyota way, having a concept in production for 5 years before the regulations may come into play.

Anyway, 4 mile trips would typically produce MPG in the 20's. Mine was terrible on short runs. Luckily my commute was at least 20 miles. It takes a min of 10 miles to warm up at the moment.

Not to put a HUGE downer on you here but you've bought a 2.2 litre car =/ yes big diesels still produce decent MPG but for short runs what were you expecting! =/

Not to put a HUGE downer on you here but you've bought a 2.2 litre car =/ yes big diesels still produce decent MPG but for short runs what were you expecting! =/

Thats a good point.

If the mileage is that low then the engine is barely warmed up and will be running extra fuel to get the temps up, plus the DPF won't be getting a fair chance to burn off properly, so it is probably in permanent regeneration mode as its not hitting the temps for long enough to clean in one burn.

Big diesels can achieve good mpg.

Mine is 3.0 litres, automatic and 312bhp and happily does 42 mpg driven normally. Bit lower in this weather. 39.8mpg when I looked yesterday.

As mentioned it's the short trips that's killing the mpg and toyotas nox filtering