Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hazard / Turn Indicator Unit

Headnut

Hi all,

I am putting an A-Frame on my Aygo Blue and intend to wire it so that the Aygo rear lights are used instead of a trailer board when being towed by my motorhome.

All is quite straight forward with the possible exception of the turn indicators. They are powered through the "Combination Meter" (Speedo cluster) but I do not have information of its internals.

Does anyone have info if the Speedo uses relays or electronics to pulse the lights?

If relays it will be easy, if not then diode isolation will be required and much more difficult as the connection point will be difficult to acheive.

Headnut

The indicators are wired through TWO relays: one for each side.

You can see them in the top left corner, the two black boxes with "Taiko" on them:

100_8016.JPG

So it should be possible to feed power into the wires to the lights; the stalk

switches wires to ground, as does the hazard-switch, so you can't use those.

Before you do any wiring it might be smart to remove all indicator bulbs on

one side and then measure if there's resistance to ground: if not you're safe,

if so you DO need to put isolator-diodes into the wires that are allready in the car.

Some relays switch their load to ground at rest, hence the warning.

Jan,

Many thaks for the info, and the warning. I hadn't considered the relay taking the supply line to earth so will check that.

The good news for me is that I can now access all my connections at one Toyota connector (HC1). The only difference will be that ONLY the rear direction indicators will light, but that is the same as a trailer board.

The photo is very nice and shows me something else I wanted as well.

Thanks again

Headnut

What else did you want to know? You're making me curious :P

Jan,

I was interested to see the type of connectors they use, as my manual shows the wires I am interested in coming out of connector C1(B). The (B) had me wondering, but with your photo I can see what they are on about.

Thanks again

Headnut

Ah, I understand now (I think).

Might you need a better resolution picture,

shoot me a line in a PM with your emailaddress...

• 1 month later...

A final follow up for anyone interested.

You do not need Diodes as the circuits are not shorted to earth when unpowered. All lighting circuits can be connected into without worry.

I abandoned my original idea of connecting into HC1 connector as it is far too difficult to get at. Instead I connected all possible lights at the left and right headlights. The only two circuits that needed a bit of thought were the rear HIGH INTENSITY FOG and REVERSING lights. These were located at the right front foot well and cut and crimped to make my connections.

The Aygo BRAKE light was also connected at this point but this feeds back to the motorhome to light an LED to indicate when the Aygo brake pedal has moved and the brakes are being applied. Note that you do not need to connect the MH brake lights to the Aygo as the brake lights work whith ignition switched off, so the Aygo brake lights work normally whenever the brake pedal moves.

All working well now.

Headnut

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Dear Jan van de Wouw

in the motherboard there are 2 resistors R122 & R63 which feed the relays for turn indicators.

Can you send me a high res picture so i can recognize them?

Or can you tell me what value have printed on them?

Mine are fried and can not identify them.

For a temporary solution i solder a 10A glass fuse in their place and now my hazard lights blink at normal speed

but when i select right or left indicator it blinks very fast.

Thank you very much,

George.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hello.

I hope not to intrude this thread.

But i have the same problem to locate where the Turn indicator unit is located.

My problem is the relay flashing very fast, after replacing the glowbulbs to LED bulbs.

Have any a picture where the relay is located.

Thank you.

• Like 1

The relays are non-user replaceable (soldered to the speedo PCB), go buy some better quality led's, sometimes listed as can bus ready

• Like 1

Goodmorning Flash22.

Aha OK. Can you upload a picture where the timing circuit is located? I'm electronic skilled. 🙂

I can see in the thread, a pair of resistors (R122 & R63)

I guess only one resistor shall be changed to change the flashing frequency.

Have you information what resistor i shall remove and change? (I will place a Potentiometer below the steering console, so this easy to fine tune the frequency. 😉

The reason it flashes faster is the relays do not have enough load, incandescent bulbs have a higher resistance = higher current, Led's are lower resistance - lower current, the circuit thinks you have blown bulbs

resistors on the PCB are for the control side of the relay

Use some better quality LED's - simple

otherwise, you're messing about with ballast resistors

• Like 1