Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Key Programming

sparky77

Sorry to raise this again with the following link in mind.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=62528&st=0

Can someone please advise the step by step procedure for erasing the previously registed keys to the immobliser.

This is the 6 key turns & 7 door opening procedure, what is the next step for registering the new key to immobliser?

Do you go straight to turning the existing master key 5 times and door opening 6 times.

The add key procedure isnt working fully, althought the dash LED is blinking differntly but reverts back to default after the 60 seconds.

The remote controls have been programmed successfully with doors opening and closing, only need the immobliser bit done.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry to raise this again with the following link in mind.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=62528&st=0

Can someone please advise the step by step procedure for erasing the previously registed keys to the immobliser.

This is the 6 key turns & 7 door opening procedure, what is the next step for registering the new key to immobliser?

Do you go straight to turning the existing master key 5 times and door opening 6 times.

The add key procedure isnt working fully, althought the dash LED is blinking differntly but reverts back to default after the 60 seconds.

The remote controls have been programmed successfully with doors opening and closing, only need the immobliser bit done.

Any help would be appreciated.

I attach the info on key programming. I believe that the All Clear Mode will remove all existing keys and you may need to re register the ones you want.

Fitter

THEFT DETERRENT & DOOR LOCK.pdf

Hi all, i have only one key (Master) for my 99 t' reg avensis and would love to have another. Where would i be able to buy another blank with the two buttons and how much are we talking? Looked on flea bay but could'nt find a new blank. Thanks.

• Like 1

Well you need blank key. b/w 3-5 pounds

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Button-Remote-Key-Case-UNCUT-Key-Blade-Toyotas-/290504675046?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a36d8ee6

Then you need old key with key fob / chip in. (about 10-15).

Now get the first one cut to your car key shape (3-5 pounds) and take out the chip from second and placed it in first one.

All you need is to program it yourself.

You are looking for about 20-25 all together. Remember if you lost your key, toyota will change your locks and key and figures can go upto 4 digit figure.

Best of luck.

Fitter,

Thanks alot for the PDF attachement.

Do you have the instructions for programming the new key to the ECU for engine start?

I appear to have programmed the remote central locking and doors correctly to date, which is indicated on the PDF.

Any info or knowledge on this would be gratfully recieved.

This is what I followed.

Linking your Key to Immobilizer:

I Used this to erase the keys :

You can erase all the keys and start over by turning a working master key 6 times and then opening and closing the door 7 times. Then remove the key and reprogram again.

The master key that you use during this procedure obviously doesn't get deleted. (At least it didn't when I did it!).

Then this to add the new key :

"Programming New Keys"

STEPS:

1. Begin by sitting in the driver seat with all the doors shut.

2. Insert your working master (black) key in the ignition.

3. Very Quickly, turn the key from "LOCK" to "ON" 5 times. (You will end with the key in the "LOCK" position) [the 5 on-offs just need to be < 1 second each (you can hear something switching in the engine bay after 1 second switched to on - you've probably just got to beat that).]

4. Immediately, open and close the driver door 6 times very quickly. (End with the door closed)

5. Immediately, remove your working Master Key and insert your new Master Key

6. Turn the key to the "ON" position and leave it there while you wait for 1 minute.

7. After the minute, if you want to program another key, just remove the first one and insert the next one, turning it to "ON" and leaving it in position for 1 minute.

8. When you are through programming keys, just take the last one out, open and then close the driver door to lock in the programming, and your done.

Programming Sub Keys (Grey) is done the same way except you turn the master key 4 times before you open and close the door 5 times. Then insert the sub key, turn to the "ON" position, and wait your minute. Finish by removing the key and opening and closing the door 1 time as before.

Linking your Key to car locks:

Better to start with confirmation mode first to know that how many keys are already programmed to it.

Here's the info (I have only tried and tested the "ADD" function) :

There are four different programming commands when setting up or verifying your remote transmitter, they are:

A. Add mode, used to add a remote to your Prius that is not currently registered.

B. Rewrite mode, used to erase all previously registered remotes and allow you to begin again the programming process.

C. Confirmation mode, used to verify the number of remotes that are already programmed in your Prius.

D. Prohibit mode, to prohibit all remotes from operating the door locks.

All four modes start with these instructions:

1) Make sure that the key is not in the ignition, the doors are unlocked, and the driver's door is open.

2) Very quickly, without turning, insert and remove key from the ignition twice. (leave key out)

3) Close and open the driver door twice. (leave door in open position)

4) Again, insert key into the ignition and remove it. This time only once. (leave key out)

5) Close and open the driver door twice, then close the door.

6) Insert key into the ignition and leave it in the LOCK position.

A. Add mode:

A1) Turn the key to "ON" for 1 second, then turn back to "LOCK".

A2) Remove the key.

A3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK" and 1 second later "UNLOCK" (just listen)

A4) On your remote, press the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 1 to 1½ seconds, then let go.

A5) On your remote, IMMEDIATELY press unlock by itself.

A6) You’ll get one of three responses:

R1) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" once. The remote is accepted. If you want to program another remote, immediately proceed to step A4 with your second remote, otherwise open the driver’s door and the remote is registered.

R2) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" twice. Either you didn’t use the same remote in steps A4 and A5(not likely), or this remote was already registered.

The timing was off when you pressed the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously and then UNLOCK by itself. Immediately press the two buttons together and the unlock by itself again. Keep trying until you get the locks to signal once that you have been successful. Then if you have another remote to program, quickly press its' buttons as before, until you hear the locks signal once. When you are finished, open and close the driver door to lock in the programming.

R3) If no response, go back to step 1 near the beginning of these instructions.

B. Rewrite mode:

B1) Turn the key to "ON" for 1 second, turn back to "LOCK" for 1 second, then back to "ON" for 1 second, and finally back to "LOCK" for 1 second

B2) Remove the key.

B3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", 1 second later "UNLOCK", 1 sec., "LOCK", 1 sec. "UNLOCK". (just listen)

B4) On your remote, press the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 1 to 1½ seconds, then let go.

B5) On your remote, IMMEDIATELY press unlock by itself.

B6) You’ll get one of three responses:

R1) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" once. The remote is accepted. If you want to program another remote, immediately proceed to step B4, otherwise open the driver’s door and the remote is registered.

R2) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", then "UNLOCK" twice. You didn’t use the same remote in steps B4 and B5(not likely).

R3) If no response, go back to step 1 near the beginning of these instructions.

C. Confirmation mode:

C1) Turn the key in 1 to "ON" and back to "LOCK" in one second intervals for a total of 3 times.

C2) Remove the key.

C3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK" and "UNLOCK" in 2 second intervals. (just listen and count each set)

1 Set = You have 1 remote registered

2 Sets = You have 2 remotes registered

3 Sets = You have 3 remotes registered

4 Sets = You have 4 remotes registered

5 Sets = You do NOT have any remotes registered

D. Prohibit mode:

D1) Turn the key to "ON" and back to "LOCK" in one second intervals a total of 5 times.

D2) Remove the key.

D3) You’ll hear the doors "LOCK", 1 second later "UNLOCK" 5 times. (just listen and count each set)

D4) This will erase all previously registered remotes and cancel the wireless door lock function.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for you post Sam,

This is the bit I find unclear, could you perhaps elaborate on this "Then remove the key and reprogram again."

Thanks. :crybaby:

You can erase all the keys and start over by turning a working master key 6 times and then opening and closing the door 7 times. Then remove the key and reprogram again.

Thanks for you post Sam,

This is the bit I find unclear, could you perhaps elaborate on this "Then remove the key and reprogram again."

Thanks. :crybaby:

Ideally you should link the key to immobilizer first and later to door locks.

Now in your case if it is linked to door locks, try to link it to immobilizer.

Now when you erase all the keys, all other keys which were linked to immobilizer will be deleted except the master key which you have.

what you do next is

"Programming New Keys"

STEPS:

1. Begin by sitting in the driver seat with all the doors shut.

2. Insert your working master (black) key in the ignition.

3. Very Quickly, turn the key from "LOCK" to "ON" 5 times. (You will end with the key in the "LOCK" position) [the 5 on-offs just need to be < 1 second each (you can hear something switching in the engine bay after 1 second switched to on - you've probably just got to beat that).]

4. Immediately, open and close the driver door 6 times very quickly. (End with the door closed)

5. Immediately, remove your working Master Key and insert your new Master Key

6. Turn the key to the "ON" position and leave it there while you wait for 1 minute.

7. After the minute, if you want to program another key, just remove the first one and insert the next one, turning it to "ON" and leaving it in position for 1 minute.

8. When you are through programming keys, just take the last one out, open and then close the driver door to lock in the programming, and your done.

Programming Sub Keys (Grey) is done the same way except you turn the master key 4 times before you open and close the door 5 times. Then insert the sub key, turn to the "ON" position, and wait your minute. Finish by removing the key and opening and closing the door 1 time as before.

see step 5 where you are adding new master key. I hope this helps.

If these steps do not work for you, then you need different chip for second key. If you read the whole thread (which you posted in your first post), some people complained that some key chips / fobs did not work, whereas other worked.

Best of luck.

Well you need blank key. b/w 3-5 pounds

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Button-Remote-Key-Case-UNCUT-Key-Blade-Toyotas-/290504675046?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a36d8ee6

Then you need old key with key fob / chip in. (about 10-15).

Now get the first one cut to your car key shape (3-5 pounds) and take out the chip from second and placed it in first one.

All you need is to program it yourself.

You are looking for about 20-25 all together. Remember if you lost your key, toyota will change your locks and key and figures can go upto 4 digit figure.

Best of luck.

Thanks sam, but my original key has the two fob buttons side by side and the one in your link has the two buttons ofset. Is the position of the buttons not important and can i change the position in the new fob?

Dismantle your existing key and have a look to see if the blade

looks the same as this one inside the key fob: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-BUTTONS-REMOTE-KEY-CASE-UNCUT-TOYOTA-COROLLA-RAV4-/310278356707?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item483e07fee3

I have managed to source another cut valeo key, and will remove the chip inside and replace with the one ive got when it comes.

Im also unsure if the year of the car and associated transponder chip matters as some people have intimated, but they are not 100% sure? the key i have purchased is around 3 years newer than my car although still the same shape, i.e. the avensis mk2 53-09?

Having great trouble sourcing a two button remote (buttons side by side) blank key. Anyone know where i can get one? I just want a blank blade and a empty Shell as i have already bought a two button key off eBay for a couple of quid.

All the ones on eBay are'nt the right ones as the buttons need to be side by side.

Have a chat with your local locksmith / keycutter to see if he can supply it,

as well as cut it for you.

Hi All,

Does the procedure described apply to Avensis 1.8L VVT-i made in September 2000 or it is only valid for Mk2 cars made from 2003 onwards?

Many thanks,

Dmitriy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hi there i have bought a 1999 avensis and one of the key fobs is broken is it possible to buy

a key from another car and switch just the electronics and reprogram the fob

• 1 year later...

I think I must be doing somthing wrong. I have bought a second hand key and a new blank blade on eBay. Today I had the blade cut and have just tried to follow the instructions. I have managed to get the ket to register to lock and unlock the doors, but I cannot get the key to work the immobiliser. Am I doing something wrong or do I need a new chip because this key was previously used on another car?

I wonder if it is because my key is not a master key? I have no way of knowing if the black key I have is the master. when I bought the car I got one black key and one grey key.

I guess I will have to use the new key just for remote unlocking and the grey key to start the car then. I was hoping I could just get the new (second hand key) to reprogram to work my immobiliser.

The grey key is the master key.

I think Mr T can program the new key using the master.

HTH

The grey key is a SUB key, the master key is black. You cannot copy a SUB key, only a MASTER

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

I know it is an old topic but it saves a lot for me, the steps mentioned by Sam29 was 100% correct, I tested programming new keys, linking key to locks step C, B and finally A. all of these are working and i managed to add two keys to my Avensis....THANKS