Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help With Changing Brakes!

jjj_aygo

Hi all

I'm completly stuck on how to get my old brake disks off ...

The positioning screw that uses a T30 bit has corroded onto the hub and I've managed to strip the head completly trying to get it off...

I've tried using an impact driver and tried drilling it out but just no luck!

Anyone else had any experience doing this?!

Thanks for any help!

James

Had a similar problem with my BMW. With the calipers removed, I drilled a series of small holes through the brake disc around the positioning screw to cut a hole in the disc around the screw. After applying WD40 to the hub, I then hammered the back of the disc and it came off leaving the screw shaft exposed on the hub. After a liberal soaking of WD40, I managed to loosen and remove the screw using a vice grips. I put a good coat of copper grease on the new screw. Suggest using a rubber mallet or holding a piece of timber against the back of the disc when hammering. Hopefully you haven't drilled away too much of the screw, or you won't be able to get a good grip on it.

These !Removed! disc retaining bolted are totally useless and excess to requirements. The only thing they are good for is causing PITA when replacing the discs.

Just drill the ***** out and don't bother fitting a new one as the discs are held in place firstly by the calliper itself and then the wheel as it bolts onto the hub ;)

In the word of GW - Drill Baby, Drill!

thanks for the info!

I thought it was useless... what a pain in the *****!

I hope I wont have to go that drastic Kevin but may be my only option in the end... thanks!

I think there is such thing as a screw removing drill bit that is machined to force screws out I may try that!

Thanks again guys!

James

• 2 weeks later...

Sent my Aygo for its first MOT the other day and it failed spectacularly.

Brake judder apparently so its 414 quid to get it fixed!!!!

Also my front lights are not set correctly.

Thing is I got her fully serviced in July by the same garage, I find it wierd that the brakes are wrecked in just six months??

Is this unusual to anyone else??? should I be looking at another garage for a second opinion?

By the way I have done 2000 miles in that six months so could it be wear and tear?

Sent my Aygo for its first MOT the other day and it failed spectacularly.

Brake judder apparently so its 414 quid to get it fixed!!!!

Also my front lights are not set correctly.

Thing is I got her fully serviced in July by the same garage, I find it wierd that the brakes are wrecked in just six months??

Is this unusual to anyone else??? should I be looking at another garage for a second opinion?

By the way I have done 2000 miles in that six months so could it be wear and tear?

Brake judder is often due to a warped disc. Did you replace the old ones with Toyota parts?

Could also be a loose caliper, or dirt behind the disc not letting it seat properly. Can you feel the judder yourself when braking?

I don't see that there's £414 worth of work in curing brake judder!

I didnt do the service the garage did, it says I need new discs and pads and a new wheel bearing.

I couldnt feel any judder when braking.

thanks for the info!

I thought it was useless... what a pain in the *****!

I hope I wont have to go that drastic Kevin but may be my only option in the end... thanks!

I think there is such thing as a screw removing drill bit that is machined to force screws out I may try that!

Thanks again guys!

James

Do what most nechanics do. Drill the head of the existing bolt - then drill an small hole down the centre of what's left and screw in a counter-sunk self-tapping screw. The screws are only there to stop the disc moving when the wheel is removed and after a few months the back of the disc will rust and give all the grip you need.:)

Hi There.

Just a suggestion......

Brakes these days are very good compared to "olden days" brakes.

The major cause of disc distortion these days is braking long and hard

eg down a long hill then sitting at the junction at the bottom of the hill

with your foot hard on the brake pedal.

This means that part of the disc is cooling and part of it is sandwiched

between 2 very hot brake pads.

Don't know if you encounter these circumstances but if you do, you're better off

applying the handbrake and letting the front discs cool off more evenly.

Anyway......For their size, the Aygo's brakes are very good but at the expense of

using materials that are relatively soft. Discs these days seem to be treated as a replaceable

service item rather than something that lasts the life of the car.

Some of my older cars didn't need the discs replacing untill after 100000 miles.

Even large automatic cars.

(£414 is taking the **** though).

Good quality discs & pads perhaps £110. Fitting at an indepenant £100 max?

Ian.

I didnt do the service the garage did, it says I need new discs and pads and a new wheel bearing.

Sorry, I didn't read the post properly, I thought it was jjj_aygo giving an update on the original post.

If you can't feel any judder under under heavy braking, it might be worth your while getting a second opinion. A second opinion might also give a more reasonable quote.

Source aftermarket parts and DIY.. It's easy job to change discs and pads.

Wheel bearings? Any noise or play? I hope they know the reason of juddering and not just want to change all possible at your expense lol

What exactly was done when you had your car serviced 2000 miles ago? New discs and pads? What's the mileage of the car?

Thanks for replies to my post guys... eventually I just jacked her high enough to get underneath and smacked the disc off with a dirty great hammer! :thumbsup: