Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Gearbox Oil Change

AURISTR01

My Auris 2.0 D4D has the 6 speed gearbox. Its done 60,000 miles and at idle I can hear a slight whine pressing the clutch pedal in quitens the whine but at the moment it is very quiet. I have no warranty on the car just bought it recently of a private elderly gentleman.

I had a Yaris T Sport which had exactly the same problem, many people advised the gearbox needs replacing or a rebuild because its the input shaft bearing.

I managed to fix this by changing the oil. Im sure the Auris has the same issue im going to change the gearbox oil using REDLINE - MT-90 Manual Transmission Gear Oil it meets the Toyota 75-90 GL4 Spec, expensive I know but its cheaper than a rebuild if it does the job.

My question is has anybody done this before is there some kind of special tool to change the gearbox oil?

Your replys will be very helpful if you can guide me in the correct direction.

Thanks in advance!

24mm Socket - I have got one in the tool bag somewhere thats the same size as the Yaris T Sport gearbox plug.

I will give it a go after the snow passes.

Thanks again!

Could be but its cheaper to change the oil and see how it behaves, as its a whine very faint but its there. The last time I changed the oil the Yaris it was thick grey and that was at around 60k, since the Auris has the done same sort of mileage and had no oil change could may well just need fresh supply of oil.

I would only want to take the gearbox off when the clutch flywheel need replacing replacing the release bearing at the same time. At the moment the clutch is working as it should.

Its not unusaul for gearboxes to make a bit of noise that can be heard at idle. When the clutch is engaged (pedal up) the gearbox is connected to the engine and the bits inside the gearbox are rotating. Disengaging the clutch (pedal down) removes the drive to the geabox and the bits stop rotating as they are now disconnected from the engine.

The trick is knowing when the noise is abnormal, personally I'd probably want an opinion from someone familiar with the model to comment on any suspicious noises. No harm in changing the oil though.

I think too, the release bearing makes this noise, but first time change the gear oil (at 60 k miles it's time to change the oil), then you will see if the whine is gone or not...

• 10 years later...

So then..apart from people saying..i use this or that..what is the actual gearbox oil for a sr180 auris.manual.. Is it toyoa 75w..not sure if its mineral or synthetic or 75w80 fully synthetic.Any help please

4 minutes ago, taxijeff said:

So then..apart from people saying..i use this or that..what is the actual gearbox oil for a sr180 auris.manual.. Is it toyoa 75w..not sure if its mineral or synthetic or 75w80 fully synthetic.Any help please

Anything that falls withing the spec will do, the choice is yours.

I did have to change the gearbox oil on my old car (mazda 3, 1.6) as during the winter maybe 2 out of 10 times, you had to clutch 2x to get it into 1st gear while standing. I just made it worse, got some Shell oil, then it started to be 4 out of 10 times, so at traffic light, i could not get it into gear at all. I would have to stop the car, get it into gear, then start it like that, and drive. 

Changed oil again to some recommended one, all gears started to be very crunchy while the car was still (while moving all ok).  I read many comments saying they ended up putting the original oil back, so it's definitely a good idea to save it, just in case.

image.thumb.png.73649b037d36274812bd93df707c60f6.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, taxijeff said:

I just put what's in the manual, which is what you asked.

I'm guessing it's this one. That does not mean you cant use any other oil that falls within the same spec.

If you want even smoother shifts, you can try cleaning up and oiling the connections and cables between the lever and the transmission.

image.thumb.png.d02ea7e45017cd8e5ed687023039b1c7.png

Hey guys, I have a quite similar problem, I hear a slight whine when I switch to 5th gear and pressing the speed pedal slightly, if I press the pedal harder then the sound disappear, I am not sure if I will change the gearbox oil the sound will disappear. Did anyone of you can give me a hand with that? 

How long do you have the car, was it driven mostly on highways by you, or previous owner?

It's not unusual for bearings to fail on 5th gear. 

Have you checked the oil level in the gearbox already? Rule of thumb, open the filling screw, put a finger inside, and you should feel the oil.

I have a vague recollection about reading about the gearbox whine, it might  even have been on here, and I think it was a known 'characteristic' of the 5 speed box. Our 1.4L Corolla 4 door has a detectable whine that comes and goes depending on whether you are accelerating, decelerating or maintaining a constant speed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links