Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Burning

steplce

my x-reg corolla 1.4 vvti use's a bit of oil, its done 46k is this normal, any idea how much oil to put in if the dipstick says its half full

Excessive oil useage can be an issue with some engines in the range.Others use nothing.Mine is a W plate 1.4 with 132,000 miles on the clock and uses a litre of oil over 6-8 weeks or so depending on useage/mileage.Have just changed the oil and filter and am trying Comma fully-synthetic oil 5W/30 to see how this compares with the Toyota stuff that was in before.

I think it's approx a litre of oil between the 2 marks on the dipstick.

as stated some engines will burn oil others won't. put a little bit in and check the dip stick. add more accordingly. you can easily add more oil, it's a bi*ch if you gotta take some out lol.

• 2 weeks later...

when was the last time it was serviced? or at least had an oil change?

3 months ago

when was the last time it was serviced? or at least had an oil change?

3 months ago

Hi,

You need to give a bit more info, like how many miles since that last service ?

Also who did the service and what grade oil was used ? - 5w/40, 10w/40 etc

How long have you had the car ? - if a while assume this oil loss is a new thing ? - could be the last service used a thinner oil which can be burn a bit easier.

This is a problem for the vvti engines that have the old version of pistons with the small number of oil distributing holes.

It is something that you can pass in car's guarantee (if you still have it) and they replace your engine block (if it is affected) plus they install the new type of pistons which have more oil holes.

TOYOTA guarrantee is 3 + 3 years, but for this specific issue the guarrantee is extended one year more.

When I oversized my engine I have specifically purchased the new type of pistons (1zzfe and 3zzfe engines have the same problem) which had 8 oil holes instead of just 4 (that the old type have) so as never to have any oil burning problem.

This is done at least by the TOYOTA dealers in Greece. You just have to visit two times the dealer where they check your oil level and after 1000kms you go back again to re-check it. If they see that the oil level has dropped down to a certain level (I do not remember exactly how much), they order from TOYOTA a new engine block and new pistons.

Ask a dealer...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links