Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Is That Electric Whirring Noise When The Engine Is Off?

jimbo747

After driving around and turning engine off, 3 or 4 seconds later I hear a whirring noise coming from the engine bay lasting a few seconds. Its not the fan (car barely up to temp most of the time). It sounds like an electric aerial being retracted noise. Just wondered what the heck it is?!

Might be; My Yaris did that after I fitted an XCarLink to it. I stopped it by just leaving a CD in the player.

I noticed this sound appear at the moment you open your door... it may be linked to something controling the light that shut down when you open the doors after having turned off the motor ?

If its worrying you and it happens all the time, pop back to the dealers and get it checked, its probably something that should happen, but get it checked just in case. Better to be safe than sorry.

The Prius makes all sorts of funny clicks and whirs for a few minutes after its shut down! :thumbsup:

It's most likely the steering wheel lock

if the car is IQ2 or IQ3 smart entry and push-button start

when you turn the engine off open door steering wheel locks that

may be the Electric Whirring Noise you hear :unsure::unsure:

If it is a IQ1 and use a key to start the engine

you will have to unlock the steering wheel lock

manually

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

You can hear the steering wheel lock's electrics as soon as you open the door. The other sound is different. I hear it, it comes from the engine bay a short while after you turn the engine off. My old Lexus did exactly the same thing and I guess it's just the relays and ECU shutting down.

• 5 months later...

You can hear the steering wheel lock's electrics as soon as you open the door. The other sound is different. I hear it, it comes from the engine bay a short while after you turn the engine off. My old Lexus did exactly the same thing and I guess it's just the relays and ECU shutting down.

Yes, I also have this sound, and I too wonder what it is...

It is not the steering wheel lock.

If anyone knows for sure what it is, I'd love to hear about it

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links