Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tire Temporary Mobility Restoration Kit

PaulC99

Has anyone used the Tire Temporary Mobility Restoration Kit (TMK) to repair a puncture where your Prius does not have a spare wheel? I did & it worked well.

But when I went to buy a replacement sealant bottle from my local Toyota dealer they wanted £144.90 for it!!

I am waiting for an explanation from Toyota Customer Service - I told them that as this is a safety device they should not be ripping us off.

In the meantime I bought a temporary tyre repair kit from Halfords for less than £10.

Paul

• Like 1

Another nice little earner for Toyota. At your expense.

You will probably find that your tyre repairer will be very reluctant to repair the tyre where this would normally be possible. So you may well find you are buying a new tyre, which wouldn't otherwise be necessary.

If you damage the tyre beyond the point of repairability with the kit, for example a modest split, then you are held to ransom for the replacement tyre. No chance to phone around for the best price.

And if you have a split or similar, and you are out of mobile signal (very common in rural areas) then you are looking at a long walk.

I had similar problems with a Honda Civic. They eventually swapped the kit for a spare spacesaver wheel. Incidentally, there was virtually no price difference between the two options (and both were cheaper than the Toyota sealant charge). Although I suspect there was a significant difference in profit margins.

35661.png

• 2 years later...
Hello PaulC99,

Do you know where I can buy the OEM Tire Temporary Mobility Restoration Kit online?

Well, I know I am old (and old fashioned . . . :dontgetit: ) but I simply would not buy a car without a spare wheel of some kind. My preference would be to look for a skinny rather than the repair kit.

• Like 1

Apparently, once the kit has been used, the tyre can not be permanently repaired since the insides of the tyre are coated with goo. So the overall bill will be x amount for a new goo kit and x amount for a new tyre. I think this makes the space saver option all the more attractive. Isnt it a pity that full size spares are no longer the trend?:)

When will car manufacturers get the message that most motorists want a spare wheel not a load of goo. I agree with Sagitar I would never buy a car if it did not have a spare wheel. My preference would be a full size spare wheel which seems to be no longer an option on modern cars.

• Like 1

The trouble is we want everything! Market research tells manufacturers that space sells more cars than the availability of full size spare wheels. I too would prefer a proper spare wheel but unless it hangs off the back door of the IQ, it's just never going to happen

Mid/larger cars have plenty of room for,at least, a 'space saver' - it's all about ££££s! They want you to buy one.

Spacer Saver - nah! Money Maker - aye!

• Like 2

Oh! Come on Chaps, lets get a grip and stop waffling.

This thread [basically NO Spare Wheel] has been bumbling away for a few weeks now - lots of rhetoric and theory - but not a lot of practical experience related.

Some vague solutions offered, silly observations and unconfirmed reports that Toyota are coming up with a solution, but no corroborated practical experience of anyone having a flat and using the ‘dreaded Tyre Pump & Gunge thingy’, would like to hear of members experiences using it.

Not that I personally condone the ’Pump’ thingy , far from it.

Being old school, it’s a spare wheel for me without question for which I am financially prepared to buck the trend and buy one as an extra as has been reported in posts.

Anybody out there with an Auris Icon HSD actually fitted a space saver to their car ??

Wass talks sense [but why does he seem happy?]

Hey! Hicardo What about Landrover’s solution and screw it on the bonnet?

Sensible comments appreciated, unlike my last one.

Cheers TerryB

Wass talks sense [but why does he seem happy?]

I am happy because both of our cars now have spare tyres. I couldnt see any sense in the goo alternative for what little space saving advantage could be gained. It would seem that cost of replacement goo plus cost of replacement tyre is greater than the cost of a spare wheel and tyre plus the increased chance of being able to make a good job of a tyre repair(without the goo) in the event of getting a puncture. Perhaps I am wrong but when i buy a car which doesnt have a spare tyre, I assume ( perhaps cynically) that it is because most people dont notice and the manufacturers can either trim their prices to make them more competative or they can keep the price the same and increase their cheese and wine party/junkett budget/ CEO wage packet.

Getting upset about things doesnt improve my standard of living so yes, I am happy. :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links