Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Priceing A Secondhand Prius

MG Nut

Hi all

New to the site, I have been reading and loking throught the site for a wek or so, and I am impressed with what I have read, I know you always get and oddball in there some where.

I test drove the lastest Prius, sunroof and all at the local dealers, they were tryin to sell me a new car,I dont do new cars, I was quite happy with the drive, some side roads then onto the M3 just for on junction, the car ran very well, I dont know if the salesman was scared but he keep telling me to slow down, I thought the heads up display would be horrible in front of you, but was impressed with it, it was not a problem,when we got back to the dealership I reversed it back into its parking spot expecting the bleeps, I did not relise it had a rear view camara, liked that, so with that drive and all the comments on the site, I have decided my next car will be Prius, but what on, I had a look at the dealers recently, they had nothing at all, today I logged onto there web site they have 4 cars, two well to pricy for me, the other two dont seem bad, but thought I would fed you the info, to get your reactions.

2007 1.5 T Spirit Decuma Grey Metallic 37,000mls @£10,994

And a.

2008 1.5 T Spirir Caspian Blue Metallic 38,261mls @£12.944

Have not been to look yet as its pretty snowy here, I await your comment, and then will try to take a look.

Once again thanks for all the posts, I will defornatly have one soon

MGNut

Good luck with your purchase. You will not regret getting a Prius.

Remember the GenII is quite a bit different to the GenIII, and some GenIII have poorer hybrid side warranties.

If you search carsite.co.uk - they do exfleet cars, then there's a 2006 T4 with 38k miles for £7600.

These prices give you a guide for good used.

Toyota approved have a couple under £8000 using a national search.

I would expect you could knock at least £1000 off the sticker price, plus wangle a service and mot...that's what we did. especially if you go for Toyota finance (where they really make the money).

You may find some interesting comparisons with the XJ8. The electric motor of the Gen II has slightly less torque than the 4.2 Jaguar, and quite a bit more than the 3.5. And it's constant, from zero rpm to max.

Sadly, all that torque goes through a power sharing device (PSD), the nearest thing the Prius has to a gearbox, which is about the size of a can of coke. That is why the traction control is essential (and permanent) if you put your foot down at take-off, as there is no clutch or torque converter to soak up any excess.

The current Gen III Prius has a bit over half that torque, but more power. So less obvious traction control!

Having said that, if you want to drive the car that hard, you probably don't want a Prius. It's really for a as relaxed a drive as you will get in anything. But it will still leave Golf GTIs at the lights, if you can be bothered.

35661.png

Check vehicles are actually in stock as many are advertising vehicles that will only be available when new stock arrives to make 2nd hand available. I found out the hard way by ringing a dealer last month and asking a couple of questions about a 2007 prius spirit and decided to drive 35miles to look at it. Needless to say the bloke took me out to look for it only to discover it hadn't arrived yet but will ring me a soon as it does :angry:

I'm awaiting a 2007/57 spirit with full leather at our local Toyota £10,500 with estimated 26K, this is another thing to watch for because the car had 23K when it was valued and a new one ordered in Sept so I guess the current owner does 8K a year so beware of mileage advertised for cars not yet in stock as a business owner could add 3K a month.

also I discovered pre owned 2nd hand business cars have to have full VAT applied when resold by the trade whereas privately owned cars sold by 2nd hand dealers add VAT only to their profit and will probably not bother to add the additional 2.5% after Jan 4th

Hi all

New to the site, I have been reading and loking throught the site for a wek or so, and I am impressed with what I have read, I know you always get and oddball in there some where.

I test drove the lastest Prius, sunroof and all at the local dealers, they were tryin to sell me a new car,I dont do new cars, I was quite happy with the drive, some side roads then onto the M3 just for on junction, the car ran very well, I dont know if the salesman was scared but he keep telling me to slow down, I thought the heads up display would be horrible in front of you, but was impressed with it, it was not a problem,when we got back to the dealership I reversed it back into its parking spot expecting the bleeps, I did not relise it had a rear view camara, liked that, so with that drive and all the comments on the site, I have decided my next car will be Prius, but what on, I had a look at the dealers recently, they had nothing at all, today I logged onto there web site they have 4 cars, two well to pricy for me, the other two dont seem bad, but thought I would fed you the info, to get your reactions.

2007 1.5 T Spirit Decuma Grey Metallic 37,000mls @£10,994

And a.

2008 1.5 T Spirir Caspian Blue Metallic 38,261mls @£12.944

Have not been to look yet as its pretty snowy here, I await your comment, and then will try to take a look.

Once again thanks for all the posts, I will defornatly have one soon

MGNut

Hi all

Could not wait any longer, so went to the dealer, and had a test drive of the 2007 T Spirit, in Grey, just over 36,000mls fsh by Toyota.

I told the sales guy I had driven a 2010 T Spirit, hope thats correct, he told me I would be dissapointed with the 07 Spirit, first we could not get into it, the fob would not work so he went for the key, he struggled but finaly got the drivers door open, then pressing the power button it would not go Green, so we went back to the showroom, where he got a power start and another salesman, they jump started it ok, vie the fuse box in the engine dept. the Battery was flat, why I do not know, any way

cleaned the snow off it and set off, last time when I drove the 2010 car I went for the motorway, this time I decided to go home on normal roads, picked up my wife, who was upset as she did not know I was arriving, then went back to town, down one juction on the motorway, apart from the drivers seat back could have go back abit, it was a good drive, I asked if it had the rerversing camara no he told me, when he first pulled it out of its parking spot he called me to YES it did have it, which was pleasing, got it up to and passed the limit, with ease, came off at the next junction, and poodled back to the dealer, pretty please with it,the sat nav appeared not to be working, no disc, so I will have to get that checked out, I think if I have it, I will also ask for the 12v Battery to be changed, I am sure the sales guy also offed me 3 years servicing free if I bought it, so its worth thinking about.

Will keep you updated, but I will have one soon.

MGnut

I wouldn't be too concerned about the 12v being flat. Many dealer cars are stood for a little while and the 12v on a Prius is a weak spot. Also, I should insist that the 12v is replaced if you were to buy the car - they have a life of about 4 years before starting to fail, esp if they've been run flat once or twice, as it doesn't do them much good.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the 12v being flat. Many dealer cars are stood for a little while and the 12v on a Prius is a weak spot. Also, I should insist that the 12v is replaced if you were to buy the car - they have a life of about 4 years before starting to fail, esp if they've been run flat once or twice, as it doesn't do them much good.

Hi

Thanks for that my feeling two, it had been junpstarted before as the cover was off the fuse box, I am off for another look, I will get them to put that back on before the fuse box get dampness in.

Just another snippet, when I brought the car home yesterday to pick up my wife, which she did not know about, I pulled the car forward, then put it in reverse, I said to her look it has a reversing camara, she says(it that so you can see what you have hit) the sales guy almost fell out of his seat.

Does anybody have a sales book/brochure on the Gen 2 2007 that is spare, I will pay the postage.thanks.

MGnut

Not sure about a brochure - maybe look on eBay. But in the mean time the following might answer some queries;

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/toyota/prius-hatchback-2004.aspx

or maybe a quick wize through this one too;

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/toyota/prius-hatchback-2009.aspx

I'd still say you shouldn't discount the gen3 Prius. OK I'm biased, but it has a bigger engine but gives better economy as it doesn't have to work so hard. You'll also love the Power mode, great for overtaking or a bit of fun - esp handy coming from a Jag! There are many other benefits to it and as they've been out about 18 months, you should be able to get a good second hand one.

Not sure about a brochure - maybe look on ebay. But in the mean time the following might answer some queries;

I'd still say you shouldn't discount the gen3 Prius. OK I'm biased, but it has a bigger engine but gives better economy as it doesn't have to work so hard. You'll also love the Power mode, great for overtaking or a bit of fun - esp handy coming from a Jag! There are many other benefits to it and as they've been out about 18 months, you should be able to get a good second hand one.

I'm afraid I disagree Grumpy, hence why I bought an 09 gen2 and not a gen3. I have driven a gen3, I didn't consider it the vast improvement that, for example, the gen2 certainly was over the gen1 version. There are one or two features I prefer on the gen2, the central display screen for one, and the lack of obstruction between the front seats, so if you have to park in an awkward position (next to a wall for example) with the driver's door unable to open, you can easily slide across and get out of the passenger side.

But the biggest factor of all is the warranty, which as we know was reduced on the early gen3 version. The gen2 has 8 years or 100,000 miles on the Battery and hybrid bits, so you can run one for a year or two and still sell with plenty of warranty left to give the next owner confidence. If I replace this one with another Prius, I certainly won't be buying an early one with the short warranty.

SWMBO's Gen 2 goes like it's in power mode by default, the Gen 2 has more torque IIRC. IMO the Gen 2 drives better, but I love the shape of the Gen 3, the extra 10 mpg and zero VED.

r

SWMBO's Gen 2 goes like it's in power mode by default, the Gen 2 has more torque IIRC. IMO the Gen 2 drives better, but I love the shape of the Gen 3, the extra 10 mpg and zero VED.

Agree with that but where is the extra 10 mpg from? Gen2 combined mpg 65.7, gen3 70.6 (T4 and T-Spirit). Most vehicles average about 20% less than the combined figure, so I would have thought the gen3 in practise would deliver about 3.9mpg more at best? £10 per annum VED doesn't exactly break the bank either.

Re the car you test drove, make sure the dealer supplies the missing Sat Nav DVD before you buy as they are Hellish expensive to replace from your own pocket!!

Re the car you test drove, make sure the dealer supplies the missing Sat Nav DVD before you buy as they are Hellish expensive to replace from your own pocket!!

Hi Thanks for that. I made sure when I was at the dealers yesterday, I asked about the sat nav and told the sales guy I wanted to see it running, wanted the 12v Battery changed, as it appears the car had been jump started before as there was no lid on the fuse box, MOTed, and serviced, I am just waiting for them to sort the finance, hopefully should here something tomorrow, the guys off today, he said he would also do the paint protection at their cost, also asked for mats in it, we will see.

MGnut

Not sure about a brochure - maybe look on ebay. But in the mean time the following might answer some queries;

Hi Thanks for the links, I done both of them, quite interesting, also got a good insurance quote off them, £222.30 fully comp.

the review were good to read, two slightly off but the rest were spot on,thanks for your interest.

MGnut

Hi Thanks for the links, I done both of them, quite interesting, also got a good insurance quote off them, £222.30 fully comp.

the review were good to read, two slightly off but the rest were spot on,thanks for your interest.

MGnut

An interesting article on the gen2 Prius for you......

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/stillatthewheel/archive/2009/12/28/toyota-prius-is-my-car-of-the-decade.aspx

Plus this site is very useful for searching used car values.....

http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/

Hi Thanks.

MGnut, Colin

MGnut

An interesting article on the gen2 Prius for you......

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/stillatthewheel/archive/2009/12/28/toyota-prius-is-my-car-of-the-decade.aspx

Plus this site is very useful for searching used car values.....

http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/

Agree with that but where is the extra 10 mpg from? Gen2 combined mpg 65.7, gen3 70.6 (T4 and T-Spirit). Most vehicles average about 20% less than the combined figure, so I would have thought the gen3 in practise would deliver about 3.9mpg more at best? £10 per annum VED doesn't exactly break the bank either.

We both do similar journeys, I'm talking real world short urban commute, actual figures.

Summer: My Gen3, 58 mpg, SWMBO's Gen2, 48 mpg

Recent cold spell: My Gen3, 39 mpg, SWMBO's Gen2, 28mpg.

We both do similar journeys, I'm talking real world short urban commute, actual figures.

but is it to do with driving style? so many variations from one driver to another,If you swap cars for a fortnight how different would the mileage be particularly as SWMBO's 48mpg is appallingly low for summer

Blo**y 'ell - 39 and 28 !!!!!!

My gen2 used to do 55 on a 20 mile country run to work in summer and 52/53 in the winter, the Gen 3 now is getting around 58-62 for the same journey over the last couple of days!!

wot u doing to them??? :crybaby:

28 is possible if you solely do very short runs from cold, but a few slightly longer trips of say 5 mile min would bump that up to nearer 40mpg.

28 is possible if you solely do very short runs from cold, but a few slightly longer trips of say 5 mile min would bump that up to nearer 40mpg.

anything under 10 miles I don't bother to get the Prius out the garage, we use the Aygo! over 10 the Prius comes out if it's not raining

:thumbsup:

Blo**y 'ell - 39 and 28 !!!!!!

My gen2 used to do 55 on a 20 mile country run to work in summer and 52/53 in the winter, the Gen 3 now is getting around 58-62 for the same journey over the last couple of days!!

wot u doing to them??? :crybaby:

Engine Idling for 10 minutes to defrost the front screen on -9 deg C mornings then 3 mile commute. I've bought some De-Icer now so the engine idling is less, but boy do I miss my heated front screen from the Mondeo, thick ice used to melt in 2-3 minutes, light frost 20 seconds.