Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Kangarooing 56 Plate Rav4

genterz

Hi all,

As the title suggests, our Rav4 D4D (4.3 XT5) has developed a fault since the temperatures have plummeted here in the UK.

After the engine has warmed up for about 10 minutes, the car struggles through the rev range, kangarooing as you try and increase the revs. It has happened all day today and has now got to the point where it is un-driveable. It gets worse under load - ie. when going up hill.

No lights come up on the dash and it's not the wheels spinning or traction control kicking in.

Anyone have any ideas before we give it to Mr Toyota?

Someone suggested water in the fuel tank. Does this sound plausable?

Many thanks!

It could be all sorts of things but it might well be short of fuel if it is starting to plug the filter. It might sort itself out as the fuel will become hot after the temperature rises to normal on the gauge - so much so it goes through a cooler under the car.

What fuel are you using - from where.

At extremely cold temps, we have found the parafin element of cheap diesel waxing up. Other one could be water in the fuel filter freezing. Just a couple of suggestions.

Thanks for your responses.

The fuel had been bought from a supermarket so I guess this could contribute to it.

Toyota have come back after inspecting the car saying it's got a partially blocked fuel filter and the EGR valve needs cleaning. It DIDN'T come up with any fault codes on their reader, apart from low fuel pressure readings.

I'm happy to let them change the fuel filter (about £90 all in) as this probably needs doing around now anyway, but I'm a bit hesitant to pay them another £100 just to remove and clean the EGR valve. I only did it 6 or 7 months ago in the summer. Can they really clog up that much in that short space of time??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links