Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electronic Handbrake

smurphy26

Hi all,

I dont want to let the horses bolt before the stable door is open but I would like to know if there is anyone out there who has had any issuse with the Avensis 2010 model electronic handbrake.

The reason I ask is when my car was parked on a hill outside my house locked up and secure when I got a knock on the door from my neighbour saing it had run into the side of his car.

There was snow and ice on the road at the time and know that this is still possible for the car to slide, my concern is that the car was parked up for 3 hours, as well as other cars on the hill. Do any of you think it would be possible for the handbrake to lose grip causing the car to move a little which would end up in the car sliding? also if this is the case would a fault be logged in the cars electronic fault recording system.

This is my first post so please be gentle :)

Your thoughts are apreciated

If you park on a hill, whether ice, snow, rain, hail or even dry.... you ALWAYS turn the steering into the kerb - therefore if the brake does fail the car won't go too far!

As to your problem - did it slide on the ice, or did the brake fail?

It is possible the car slid on the ice, but to be sure, I certainly recommend you have the car looked at, you should never chance anything with brakes. I ALWAYS leave the car in gear on a slope, its just a belt and braces thing I do!

Remember the bin lorry sliding on ice? Look at the wheels all locked up in this clip

Kingo :thumbsup:

I have only ever seen this happen twice in 15 years but have heard of numerous similar scenarios. If the handbrake is applied when the brakes are warm and the brake components then cool down the brake mechanism contracts and the friction required to hold the car stationary reduces to the point where it can no longer stop the car moving.

This can happen to any design of brake system but primarily is worse on cars which have disc operated handbrakes. Obviously this problem is more likely in very cold conditions. It tends to be more common on older cars where handbrake cables tend yo loose their elasticity.

This problem has been around since cars were first invented that's why you should always leave a car in gear or in "Park" if it's an automatic. In fact the first cars came with aircraft style chocks for the wheels.

Additionally if possible turn the steering so should the car move on its own it comes to rest against a kerb or something similar.

Personally I detest auto-handbrakes but many people see them as the helpful.:)

If it slid in the snow (proving the handbrake was still working) then there will be tell tale slide marks.

If it rolled then there will be a tyre print.

As mentioned above (and probably in your handbook) its good practice to leave the car in gear when on a slope, and if you can turn the wheel into a kerb without obstructing other cars, then that should also help.

I hope the damage wasn't too bad and can be sorted out hassle free.

If it slid in the snow (proving the handbrake was still working) then there will be tell tale slide marks.

If it rolled then there will be a tyre print.

As mentioned above (and probably in your handbook) its good practice to leave the car in gear when on a slope, and if you can turn the wheel into a kerb without obstructing other cars, then that should also help.

I hope the damage wasn't too bad and can be sorted out hassle free.

Cheers for all you responses ppl,

I looked for the slide marks etc but because the ice was so solid there were neither tracks nor slide marks :-S.

The bumper is to be replaced at a cost of £499 which is better than the car running right the way down the bank and into someones front room.

I have asked the garage to check the HB as a belt and braces thing.

Once again ppl thanks for your responses

I have recently has an electronic parking brake actuator fail in my company car, cost of replacement approximately £1,000. See separate thread Electronic Parking Brake - Why?

The conclusion seems to be that electronic parking brakes are now fitted to cars because some people are incapable of doing a hill start without rolling back. If that's the reason, they shouldn't be driving if they can't control a car.

If that's the reason, they shouldn't be driving if they can't control a car.

I second your opinion, mate its all about money making.

All companies are doing such cheap money making schemes, where replacement cost is very expensive.

I have driven passat with E- hand brake. Still prefer manual one.

Booking my car in with Toyota to get them to examine it as it was off my drive again this morning and guess what, it slid to the right again and crushed the rear end of my car, I can accept the first one as I know it is possible to slip on the ice but twice in a week starts me asking questions.

I just hope if they do find a fault they are honest and upfront if they do find a fault because I now have damage to the front and rear of my new car :-S

and you did not leave it in gear or chock the wheels or turn the steering wheel to the kerb or take it to the dealer despite being advised to? Sorry to hear of your problem but honestly, why were you not more careful?

and you did not leave it in gear or chock the wheels or turn the steering wheel to the kerb or take it to the dealer despite being advised to? Sorry to hear of your problem but honestly, why were you not more careful?

I know mate, after I gritted the drive I really thought that would be the end of it, how smart am I eh!

Yes I hear you and feel your pain, lets hope they find something for you

I have an 11 o'clock appt tomorrow, will keep you all posted on the outcome

The main thing is that nobody was hurt and the damage is repairable :)

Guys, this is not an isolated problem. Happened to me twice this evening with the 2010 Avensis. First time I thought handbrake button not pressed. Happened a second time once parked in the garden taking out the gates. Thankfully no people or cars in it's path. Definitely did not slip. Before I bring to dealer in the morning I googled to see of it happened to anyone else - and here I am!!

SMurphy - How did you get on with the dealer. Re not leaving it in gear - never did in the last year and should not suddenly assume that I have to.

The Highway Code rule No 252 clearly states.

Parking on hills. If you park on a hill you should

Park close to the kerb and apply the handbrake firmly.

Select a forward gear and turn your steering wheel away from the kerb when facing uphill.

Select reverse gear and turn your steering wheel towards the kerb when facing downhill.

Use 'park' if your car has an automatic gearbox.

I don't think it could be put more plainly. If anyone choses to ignore this sound advice then not only are they endamgering their car but all other members of the public - just imagine if children or a mother with kids in a pram where in the vacinity. Sadly I know of one pensioner who was crushed to death in such an incident.

See link below.:)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069860

Having read this thread I’ve been very mindful today when using the electronic parking brake, had one instance in the supermarket car park where i didn't fully depress the button but thankfully noticed that the handbrake warning light wasn't illuminated nor did i hear the brakes "wind in", this is very noticeable. I would suggest that when using the handbrake that you take notice of this noise at least it will help the diagnosis at the dealers.

As Part King suggests i always park with the wheels turned into the kerb and in first gear, lesson learnt with an Alfa R that wasn’t where I parked it one day, separate handbrake disc on a cable that always stretched.

The Highway Code rule No 252 clearly states.

Parking on hills. If you park on a hill you should

Park close to the kerb and apply the handbrake firmly.

Select a forward gear and turn your steering wheel away from the kerb when facing uphill.

Select reverse gear and turn your steering wheel towards the kerb when facing downhill.

Use 'park' if your car has an automatic gearbox.

I don't think it could be put more plainly. If anyone choses to ignore this sound advice then not only are they endamgering their car but all other members of the public - just imagine if children or a mother with kids in a pram where in the vacinity. Sadly I know of one pensioner who was crushed to death in such an incident.

See link below.:)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069860

Common sense too :thumbsup:

Common sense isn't so common these days :lol:

Sorry to hear the car suffered the same fate twice, that really is unlucky, but if it happens a 3rd time i would suggest that you use a bus B)

Hmmm....

A couple of weeks ago, I asked my dealer to listen to the sound my parking brake makes when it is engaged.

It works extremely good, maybe too good, making a grinding noise as if something is going to snap "down under" soon.

The brakes are pulled the extent, as if you pulled up an old fashioned lever to the maximum, and then force it an extra 5 teeth further up.

If you know what I mean.

The dealer compared the sound with a brand new Avensis in the showroom, and ordered a new parking brake unit immediately, to be fitted with the next inspection.

The inspection was yesterday, and when I collected my car I was told that the parking brake was not replaced.

It's not only the motor and servo, but also a Control unit and wiring in the package.

They never replaced one before, and it seems to be a 3.5 hour job, far more than they had expected, so I had to book a separate appointment for next year.

Garages do overtime with the current weather conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

My 58 plate Avensis does not release the rear brake pads fully. Something to do with the servo mechanism the dealer told me, replaced under warranty along with a new set of pads. 2 months and 5,000 miles on, the rear pads are rubbing again. I plan to go into my local dealer again next week to have it checked out.