Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying My First Rav 4

Celeste

Hi there

I'm new to the forum and am looking to buy my first Rav 4 :)

I found this forum and its been brilliant, I've found out lots of information, I'm trying to narrow down which diesel models have traction control. Most of the dealer ads say 4x4 but they dont necessarily list whether it has traction control and I know some models dont have it?

I downloaded a Toyota brochure from here and really just want some clarification before I start viewing cars.

I'm looking for a diesel (D4D?), 5 door, manual, 2003 -2005, got an £7500 budget. I do quite a bit of off-roading as I'm a field archer and I need a vehicle which can cope with mud, snow, wet slippery rough conditions. My husband has a Freelander 2 which is awesome and thats what we use at the moment but I cant afford one of those and I need my own 4x4.

I know the Rav 4 2.0 D4D XT4 has traction control but are there any other models in that range that have it as XT4's seem a bit scarce at the moment.

Thanks, Celeste :)

Hi there Celeste, welcome to the club + a merry Christmas to you + even your Nedflander owning hubby :lol: I am afraid I cannot answer your question I can make a guess but i am not positive which models had traction control,All the latest models have it 4.3 we call them, EXCEPT for the XT3 version. However the later 4.2 models recognisable by round frt fog lights, had electronic control of the 4x4 system, I am a bit in the dark here + hopefully someone more competant than me will be able to explain the system better :unsure: your budget of £7500 should buy you a nice Rav and don't be swayed by anyone saying they are not a proper 4x4, they are certainly not a LR Defender, but are very capable, Derbyshire police have been using them for years on some of the toughest terrain in the country, If you have been looking on here I assume you are aware of the DMF problem on earlier diesels, if you find one you like make sure this has been done or that you get a good warranty, This is really the only fault, other than that they are pretty much bullet proof, Good luck + hope this helps till someone more knowledgable replies.. :newyear: Stew

Hi Celeste

Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

I've got the '4.2' 'NRG' model you see below,this has'nt got traction control,but i have all terrain tires and do take it off road a fair bit.

Its never got stuck,ploughs through snow easily (well so far this & last winter)

Dont get me wrong,as LH says....'its not a LR defender' ,but....its comfy , reliable,car like drive.....but with permanent 4x4.

The approach / departure angle's are superb ,as is the short wheel base ( 3dr)

Mines only broken down once in 6 1/2 years & 95'000 miles

I have had the DMF replaced ,along with the clutch back in june,but i expected this & was prepared for it.....now it drives like new :thumbsup:

Just a quick glimpse of a 'Greenlaning day' below...no worries

Celeste

welcome to this forums section.

One wee question - did the English not give up archery 60 years ago when the Scots invented the rifle??? :lol:

Funnily enough, I'm looking at introducing archery into our local area as we have a band of youths practised in chucking knives!

Thanks for the replies guys, all very helpful :thumbsup:

I went onto Parkers website and mananged to find specific details for eaach model and now know the XT-4, XT-R and the XT-5 all have traction control.

I looked on a few more car sales websites and found this...

Toyota Rav4 XT5 Chrome 5 Door

Engine Size: 1995cc

Transmission: Manual

Fuel Type: Diesel

Finished in: Metallic Blue

Mileage: 71,000 Miles

Price: £7,500

ABS, Power steering, Central locking, Sunroof, Electric sunroof, Electric windows, Electric mirrors, Full Electric pack, Air conditioning, Climate control, Full airbags, CD system, Alarm system, Immobiliser, Cruise control, Full service history, 12 Months MOT, H.P.I. Clear, Rear Head Rests, Front Fog Lamps, Rear Wash wipe, Remote Key Locking, Colour Coded Bumpers, Colour Coded Mirrors, Roof Rails, Leather upholstery, Parking sensors, Cruise control, Non smoker, Adjustable steering wheel, Locking wheel nuts, Any inspection welcome

Rav4 XT5 D4D Chrome Edition 2005 (54 Plate), 12 mths MOT, Full Service History, A/C, Parking Sensors, Full Leather Interior, Touch Screen Sat Nav, Cruise Control, Automatic anti-glare electro chromic rear view mirror, RAV4-branded aluminium scuff plates, and mats, trip computer, automatic climate control, Vehicle Stability Control and Traction Control systems, ABS, adjustable and folding rear seats, multi function steering wheel with cruise and audio controls, roof rails, Heated Seats, electric tilt and slide sunroof. Electric door mirrors, Drivers, passenger and side airbags, Body coloured bumpers 2 keys and Master key with code.

New tyres, Brakes (Discs and Pads) New Dual Mass Flywheel, New Timing Belt, very small marks and scuffs as expected with age, but condition excellent.

Its a private seller but has had all the necessary bits done to it and has FSH. Does this sound like a good buy? Being a private sale I would get an AA 4x4 comprehensive inspection as its only £175 and VERY thorough.

But it has everything and more that I want and its within my budget :thumbsup:

@ Rambler, the greenlaning looks like fun. I ride motorbikes as well and have been a member of the TRF for the last couple of years. I would be well up for taking my Rav off road, the more mud the better! Before we bought our Nedflander :lol: we did the LR off road day at Elvington and it was !Removed! good fun! I've tried talking the old man into taking his FL2 greenlaning but he's having none of it! :huh:

@ Bothwell, yes there are still people who insist on trying to shoot ELB despite not being able to hit anything! :lol: I prefer the speed and accuracy of a compound bow, much more fun than a rifle!

Celeste

welcome to this forums section.

One wee question - did the English not give up archery 60 years ago when the Scots invented the rifle??? :lol:

Funnily enough, I'm looking at introducing archery into our local area as we have a band of youths practised in chucking knives!

Not wanting to take this young ladies first ever post off at a tangent, But August Kotter invented the rifle in 1520 he doesn't sound very Scottish, Before you say it Bothy that was AUGUST KOTTER, not ANGUS Mc Cutter, and he was a Geeerman :lol::lol: Stew

Just a quick glimpse of a 'Greenlaning day' below...no worries

Going up hill, if you take your feet of the pedals, the engine will pull you up?

I first saw this in a (different) BBC video just last week for starting off up a hill in the snow, and it was the first I'd heard of it.

Why doesn't it stall?

Try it. Go to s steep uphill road, slow down and put it in first then let the speed of the car come down to idle in first gear. It will take up the idle speed and adjust it so much so it will take you up the hill. It is just the ECU maintaining the idle speed come what may.

Celest It sounds like a good motor and as long as the inspection reveals nothing it seems like you can't go wrong.

Attached is the sales spec sheet that was valid back in 2004, which may give you a bit more information.

Personally I have never understood why anyone would want diesel over petrol ?

Dual mass flywheels shake to bits

Turbo's fail

Regurgitating valves,:-) clog up

Fuel filters require purging

Cam belts are expensive to change

Servicing is usually more expensive

Complicated diesel pumps fail, (or valves fail)

Diesel costs more

They never seem to warm up when its cold

They are noisy

Acceleration (or lack of)

Nasty smell at the pump (& greasy hands)

Technology - closely related to a tractor

Positives

Good torque for ploughing fields

A few more MPG

Makes lots of noise and shakes so you know its running

Rav Spec.pdf

Going up hill, if you take your feet of the pedals, the engine will pull you up?

I first saw this in a (different) BBC video just last week for starting off up a hill in the snow, and it was the first I'd heard of it.

Why doesn't it stall?

As anchorman says, all diesels (AFAIK?) have an anti-stall feature somewhere, either in the ECU or some mechanical device in the pump. It is great for snow / mud /etc. In my previous 2WD days, we'd sit and laugh at folks ploughing up the fields in their 4x4's on caravan sites we were on because they didn't exploit the anti-stall and of course more probably, had no idea how to drive to tow a caravan off a muddy field... or it was a petrol lump under the bonnet.

My old Pug 309 GLD non-turbo had the best anti-stall - you could get right up into 5th gear on the flat without touching the accelorator pedal at all, which was equal to over 30mph... Great fun on an old IDI derv lump but not something I'd try on a sophisticated modern TDI unless the conditions warrented it. That old Pug never got stuck in snow or mud and always managed to get us and the caravan off a field without chewing up the grass.

*snip*

Maybe you watch and believe too much Top Gear...? :D

I love my tractor - or is it a train...? :in_love:

*snip*

Maybe you watch and believe too much Top Gear...? :D

I love my tractor - or is it a train...? :in_love:

Thought a tram was all the rage around there! :thumbsup:

Del

Naw, naw, Del.....it's all the folks in Coronation St. that are RAGING AT THE TRAM.......

Big Kev :yahoo:

Naw, naw, Del.....it's all the folks in Coronation St. that are RAGING AT THE TRAM.......

There are more than a few around here "RAGING AT THE TRAM" as well,Kev

There are more than a few around here "RAGING AT THE TRAM" as well,Kev

I am raging at the tram, I ordered my Turkey off Ashley peacock :unsure:

He has asked to be buried in his favorite soccer teams colours, Tram-near Rovers :shutit: NO i don't get them either, last time i watched the street Minnie Caldwell was in it :yes: Stew

Personally, I LOVE the trams! :toast:

(Pity it didn't totally and finally, permanently wipe out that Corrie drivel for ever - but that's just a personal POV as I hate soap operas... :censor: ) Hey, Minnie Caldwell, Albert Tatlock and Ena Sharples - that's about the last time I watched it too! :lol:

We live in Hucknall which is not only the northern-most and last stop on the Nottingham tram line, but also shares the station with the train... :yahoo: Great for hopping on either and going... well anywhere! B) Seems the extentions of the Notts tram lines have got the go-ahead too...

Personally, I LOVE the trams! :toast:

(Pity it didn't totally and finally, permanently wipe out that Corrie drivel for ever - but that's just a personal POV as I hate soap operas... :censor: ) Hey, Minnie Caldwell, Albert Tatlock and Ena Sharples - that's about the last time I watched it too! :lol:

We live in Hucknall which is not only the northern-most and last stop on the Nottingham tram line, but also shares the station with the train... :yahoo: Great for hopping on either and going... well anywhere! B) Seems the extentions of the Notts tram lines have got the go-ahead too...

Ah,but do you ride the tram without a little help from certain newly acquired RAV to get to Station Rd?

Del

Ah,but do you ride the tram without a little help from certain newly acquired RAV to get to Station Rd?

Del

Yep - we walk to the shared train/tram station, it is only a 10-15 min walk for us. The RAV4 wouldn't even get warm so no point at all in using the car.