Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Prius Is Dead

Doesn'tExist

That's it the truck to return it to the dealer is booked between 8-9 on Tuesday. I've had flipping enough of this rubbish car.

My wive left it on our drive after picking up the children last Friday, needed it yesterday to go out whilst I was two counties away, and it is dead. I'm really not happy with this piece of junk. The audio is still not repaired, the iPod connector disconnects constantly, the dash rattles more than a crack !Removed! in need of a fix, there is a loud squeal coming from the rear when driving off. And now the Battery goes in less than a week, toyota assistance can't come in less than 3 hours, so I've booked them to take it away and return it.

I've had enough of this piece of junk. This is just more agro than a £27k vehicle should give. I thought Toyota was the slightly boring but oh so reliable brand, I guess it is just boring and my first Toyota experience is not great. 4 months waiting from ordering the car, bad PDI, crooked mouldings, defective sound system, feedback, rattles, squeals, duff Battery, dealers who aren't in contact, toyota UK and Europe who aren't responsive.

Not a happy bunny. No more Toyota's for us.

That's it the truck to return it to the dealer is booked between 8-9 on Tuesday. I've had flipping enough of this rubbish car.

My wive left it on our drive after picking up the children last Friday, needed it yesterday to go out whilst I was two counties away, and it is dead. I'm really not happy with this piece of junk. The audio is still not repaired, the iPod connector disconnects constantly, the dash rattles more than a crack !Removed! in need of a fix, there is a loud squeal coming from the rear when driving off. And now the battery goes in less than a week, toyota assistance can't come in less than 3 hours, so I've booked them to take it away and return it.

I've had enough of this piece of junk. This is just more agro than a £27k vehicle should give. I thought Toyota was the slightly boring but oh so reliable brand, I guess it is just boring and my first Toyota experience is not great. 4 months waiting from ordering the car, bad PDI, crooked mouldings, defective sound system, feedback, rattles, squeals, duff battery, dealers who aren't in contact, toyota UK and Europe who aren't responsive.

Not a happy bunny. No more Toyota's for us.

Sorry to hear that JP ... fingers crossed mine works when it gets here - shame as you were so enthusiastic about it arriving :-(

You heading for the ct200 now ?

Jon

Hi Jon!

Lexus keeps contacting us, and the CT200 and RX450h were always on the list but I think I've had enough of Toyota to even consider Lexus.

We've done our best to downsize and go green but currently it is a toss up between Q7 & Disco4 or as a wild card an RS4. I just want something I can rely on hence we always buy new.

Bet you haven't had your lovely Harley out recently....

JP

What caused the flat Battery? Was the rear hatch shut properly? Did one of the kids leave the rear interior light on? Sounds odd that the 12v should fail so quickly without some good reason.

Did Toyota Assist find the fault?

If you are still cheesed with the car come the New Year and you still decide to get rid, perhaps you should inform Toyota head office directly and tell them why. There still does appear to be a problem with fault info getting back to them for whatever reason.

No they did not diagnose. Once they said it is going to be a three hour wait at least and then just do a jumpstart, I just asked for it to be recovered to the dealer. Maybe the rear hatch wasn't shut or the interior light left on. Considering I walk past it every evening in the dark I would have noticed that and an open door should provide an audible signal. I don't want it back unless they can fix everything that is wrong very quickly. I'm just fed up with it. I've always bought new cars to exactly avoid situations like these, worse we had before was my wifes Murano that developed a rattle one month old, they fixed but not in my opinion, they drove it with me and realised it wasn't then rebuild the interior fully gave me a 350z for the week and it hadn't returned in 68k miles.

Toyota has had my Prius more than we have since September and they still haven't fixed the things and the list is just growing. I think I've been more than reasonable and patience in waiting for them to get it sorted. Toyota Europe in Belgium asked the dealer for info which I ended up given them verbose with my debugging equipment (as I am a registered Apple Developer) highlighting the inherent fault but then after two months all they can come up with is that the headunit needs replacing. Aargh. Absolute bunch of cowboys, I've even offered to drop the car of at their technical HQ as I am in Belgium regurarly anyway but 'that is not necessary'....

MUPPETS.

I think I am particularly unlucky and perhaps have added some rarer options which my main beef is with. Those problems accentuate my feeling towards the common rattles. But being stranded is something I hate, especially with two young children. That should just not happen on a 60 reg car leaving it alone for 4 nights. I would never trust it to leave at the airport now.

See, the "common rattles" I just don't get.

Toyota GB are claiming they've been fixed for the 2011 models rolling off the lines since November. If that's the case, why can't the fix(es) be applied retrospectively to your car by your dealer?

I can understand your frustration.

I would be in contact with Toyota UK and get them to resolve any issues TBH.....

Do Toyota monitor these threads? If so, they should take the initiative and contact their customer rather than wait for him to complain.

I would be in contact with Toyota UK and get them to resolve any issues TBH.....

I'm already one step further then than and dealing with Toyota Europe from a perspective of getting it rectified as Toyota UK just had no clue. Which all nice and well from an technical resolution perspective and I really wanted it to get resolved, heck they've been trying since 2/9/2010.

When it comes to rejecting the vehicle, my contract is with the dealer, not with Toyota UK or anyone, as such ultimate that is where it stops.

My car was taken away yesterday and dumped at the dealers. Oddly enough I still haven't heard a word from them...

But even recovering the vehicle was a palava. First my neighbours opposite decided to park in the road instead of their drive way so I had to wake them up at 8am, oops! Then the toyota assistance truck got stuck in the snow/ice and couldn't get onto our drive way blocking the full road (couldn't go forwards nor backwards).

The recovery driver decided to try and winch our Prius onto the bed for some weight and hopefully will then be able to move. Ah problem number one, how do you open the boot when there is no power? As in the boot is where the towing hook is. Ah well no problem I though you go through the inside, but then you hit problem number two. The way the boot cover and then the plastic bucket can be lifted you cannot do that from inside the vehicle. What a stupid design I thought. So if you are without power forget about getting your towing hook out.

Then there is challenge number three, the gearbox, that was left in park as it automatically does when you switch the engine off. So normally the recovery man would put a trolly underneath it, but since our driveway is gravel and snow that won't work. So best to plan ahead where and when you break down.

So Toyota Assistance man number 2 was called in to get the Prius a little power in order to get the boot open and put the car into neutral. Whilst waiting for Toyota Assistance man number 2, we tried to help the lorry out with my Audi Quattro. So I drove it on the back to give it some weight and he was freed and was then able to back on our driveway, offload my Audi and get a bit closer to the Prius.

But Toyota Assitance man number 2 has never seen a car like this before, when opening the bonnet he scratched his head as to how and where boost the electrical system. So out came the manual and follow the instructions. Boot opened immediately so that was good, but then we still needed to get it into neutral.

I tried to see whether we can do that with just auxillary power, i.e. power button without brake pedal. But that doesn't do anything. So from there he changed the booster to the rear Battery and I had to start and saw the car go through its 'cold boot' sequence and then sprung to life. But every time I put it into neutral it made a lot of noise (beep beep) displayed a message like 'put back into P' and had a orange triangle flashing on the dashboard.

Toyota Assistance suggested to rev the car, flippin jokers, to give it some more power. And ofcourse you can't do that, at least mine didn't oblige. And then a minute later the engine just switched off ;-) They then obviously had enough of this car and tried to see if the wheels turned when winching it in which it did and they winched it up. Then on the bed the engine all of a sudden decided to start again which freaked them out.

Ah man, such a slapstick I didn't know whether to cry or laugh. One thing I know, it is a right pain to recover. Fair enough a combination of weather etc, but I can tell you one thing I am glad it happened on our drive way as our young children were in our warm house. Not happy at all if this happened whilst out and about.

Ah well no problem I though you go through the inside, but then you hit problem number two. The way the boot cover and then the plastic bucket can be lifted you cannot do that from inside the vehicle. What a stupid design I thought. So if you are without power forget about getting your towing hook out.

You don't take the plastic tray out, there is a little removable cover on the rear face of the tray, just where the boot release lever is.

There is a boot release lever on the inside? And a removable cover?

But how do you get to that from the back seat when the hardcover blocks you way in?

Sorry to hear of all your problems. The 12v Battery should not go flat in 4 days unless a light is ledt on somewhere, boot is the obvious place as it cannot be seen from outside the vehicle. I suspect that you have somewhat a rogue car, mine and others seem fine - indeed i went to mine today for the first time since the snow started 3 weeks ago and it started with no rattles, no problems, no fuss, get in, foot on brake, push button, go to work!

It's a shame you cannot get anything like satisfaction from your dealer, but with 9 new toyotas over the last 25 years the only contact i've ever had with the dealer is when the cars go in for a service.

Maybe you should change your dealer?

Hi if the boot was left open the Battery will go flat in about 6 hours, done it and got the t-shirt.

Yes, I think after all those years of happy motoring with a variety of brands we finally have a duff one. Just had an interesting conversation with Toyota UK as I made it clear, demonstrating yet again reasonableness that they have until Friday to resolve EVERYTHING. Anyway Toyota UK started to make sounds along the lines of a 'Monday morning' model and whether I would consider a brand new exchange.

Emotionally I do not want to, but in my heart I do like the car when it works well. That, and having specced a BMW 3 series 320d to the same level and it came out at a stupid 38k and the vehicle is then still smaller, less economical etc...I can't think of a suitable alternative, even the new Passat specced to the same level came to £32k.

We'll see. But an interesting point on the dealer, vehicle was dumped there yesterday yet I still haven't heard anything from them.

Hi if the boot was left open the battery will go flat in about 6 hours, done it and got the t-shirt.

Doesn't it beep or flash the lights if it was something like that? Not that I believe it was since we couldn't get in the boot to recover the vehicle.

JP

Keep us up-to-date with how it goes ... it's disappointing that the dealer seems to not be engaging in resolving the issues ...

Be interesting how quickly Toyota UK can rustle up a new car to your spec given how long it takes to build-to-order !!

Will get you to help inspect mine on delivery ;-)

Jon

Hi you get no warning or beep when the boot is on the first catch and if the Battery is flat the catch will not release because its electrically operated.I am sorry that you have had such a bad experience with your Prius hope your next car whatever it is is a better one.

Jont, happy to inspect yours when it arrives. Don't know whether the Aylsbury branche does the PDI themselves or whether it all gets done in Milton Keynes (Luton doesn't do those) but it was shockingly badly done. I appreciate 1/9 is a busy day but I rather have it a day later and done properly instead of having to come back later several times like in my case.

Ian R, thanks for the information. Wow that is a shockingly bad design, so it can catch the lock, feels like it is locked, yet doesn't provide an audible nor visual signal that it isn't properly locked and drain the Battery in 6 hours. Well if that is so it is possible that that happened, stupidly bad design if that can get you into a position you may require recovery.

Hi Doesn't Exist I now carry a small jumper power supply which is more than enough to start the computers as its the 200v Battery which starts the car ,when the 12v Battery is flat it will not even light the green light on the start button ,a word of warning when starting from a flat Battery the car alarm will go off when the jumper battery is used.

With regard to the Aylesbury Toyota dealer I never bought my Prius from them but they have carried out all the servicing etc. They have been excellent in every way. Best dealer and best car I have ever had.

When they took over the dealership there was a major improvement in customer care etc I had a Toyota Avensis at that time and all Avensis suffered from headlight faults and other electric problems; they sorted the problems out under warranty. No Hassle.

Jon I am sure Toyota Aylesbury will give you a very good service.

I've actually ordered from Toyota Guildford - not only because Aylesbury couldn't be ar**d to sell me one, despite going back three times to get information, prices and try and get a test drive ... chatted with a colleague about the hassles of trying to buy a new car for cash in the middle of a recession and they recommended Guildford ...

No doubt I'll use Aylesbury to service but I'm not sure they even deserve that business !!

Maybe you got a better salesman Chris - I had three different ones, all of which had to go back to their sales manager for pricing info - and if he can't be bothered to be interested in a £27,500 outright/ no p/x sale in this climate then I don't know what to do with them ??

I'm spending more on this than on my Mercedes but I get a damn-sight better customer experience there ...

Jon

The boot light does seem to be the achilles heel. I personally turn the light off to be on the safe side, but if the boot light is important to you, why not swap the bulb for an LED one? That way if the boot doesn't quite shut properly one time you should be less likely to run the Battery down as quickly.

Just an idea and yes you could argue "why should I?" but it's a cheap fix.